Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Boomer
Poo poo to you
This has sealed my defeat.
Old 11/11/08, 05:07 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Zoomie
Perception is reality, in marketing. It has ever been thus.

Thank God there are at least a few, many on this board, that understand. TQ, not HP, is the key...
Sorry I don't have the fancy know how you have, why don't you get a Camaro that will have more HP AND torque..... Last I checked no replacement for displacement right?

I don't understand these blind defenses for Ford's V8 being underpowered. Are you guys Ford shareholders or some something?
Old 11/11/08, 05:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by VA_Ford
If horsepower is all you look at, they've got you right where they want you. Torque is where it's at, and it makes the Chevy's 300 HP V6 all that more laughable to me. It will fool the 80% of shiny toy buyers that swallow the comparison to the GT that the salesman gives him/her.
What is so laughable to you about a BASE MODEL CAMARO putting out equal horsepower and less torque than the Mustang GT?

Shouldn't we compare it to the truck motor 4.0 in the base model Mustang?

Is it funny that the V8 model will have 122HP more than the Mustang GT? I understand that the 10' model will have a reworked 4.6 but I don't see it coming anywhere near the Camaro's numbers. I'm just glad that my 03' is all most paid off, looks like i'm going to hang on to this one for a long time.
Old 11/11/08, 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by Knight
Looks like the domestic manufactures got you right where they want you.

A cars gear ratios can make up for lower power. If the nissan can rev higher they could take advantage of a bigger ratio(smaller gear) and equal it.

270lbs of torque with a 2.2 ratio gear with 3.55 rear would be 2108 lbs of torque at wheels.
330lbs of torque with a 1.8 ratio gear with 3.55 rear would be 2108 lbs of torque at wheels.

Then the nissian would either need to rev higher(which it most likly does) to make up for the smaller gear or have a six speed to allow tighter ratios(which it prob has too).

But that being said I perfer the sound of a V8 over a V6 so even if the Z is as fast as the stang I atleast have the V8 soundtrack.
With the Camaro, they still have a slight problem with weight. I generally ignore the Japanese manufacturers since their cars may be competition within the marketplace, yet they are inherently different cars. It's fairly easy to poke holes in the muscle car formula if you're comparing it to a sports car approach.

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
What is so laughable to you about a BASE MODEL CAMARO putting out equal horsepower and less torque than the Mustang GT?

Shouldn't we compare it to the truck motor 4.0 in the base model Mustang?

Is it funny that the V8 model will have 122HP more than the Mustang GT? I understand that the 10' model will have a reworked 4.6 but I don't see it coming anywhere near the Camaro's numbers. I'm just glad that my 03' is all most paid off, looks like i'm going to hang on to this one for a long time.
It's laughable because GM has made that the "stat of choice." Ignore a heavier Camaro, ignore the larger pricetag, ignore the similar fuel economy as a V8 with more torque.

You're right, we should compare it to the base Mustang. But the 300 HP figure is too much for people. They gravitate to it, and immediately look at the Mustang GT with 300 HP, which will outperform the base Camaro in stock form.

Now about the Camaro SS - Ford better come back strong, because you're right, that's where the real comparison lies. GT vs. SS needs some perspective though. GM had years to study and formulate their answer to the Mustang. It's no surprise that the power gap is there. But nothing about an Australian chassis with an LS engine makes me break out in sweats. This Camaro is teetering on the edge of 'muscle' or 'pony', much closer to the Corvette than I'm sure some at GM would like.

I want to see Ford's answer...what I don't want to see is Ford slapping the Mustang name on a sports car.

Last edited by VA_Ford; 11/11/08 at 05:52 PM.
Old 11/11/08, 09:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

A healthy discussion concerning the competition. So is the 350 HP 3V on the FRPP website the GT engine for 2010 plus?
Old 11/11/08, 11:17 PM

Originally Posted by 1trickpony
A healthy discussion concerning the competition. So is the 350 HP 3V on the FRPP website the GT engine for 2010 plus?

If it is reliable enough it sounds like it could be very feasable and cheap. Ford wouldn't want to spend alot of money on R&D for this motor. So if that is all it takes to squeez out that 50 extra HP and its reliable and easy to manufacture than I could see this being the case. With the mustang weight and that kinda power I could see it running down the strip very comparible to the challenger and camaro. Plus it's new handling characteristics may help as well. (bullit suspension set up)
Old 11/12/08, 01:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

That was my take too. If Ford did all the R & D to offer it as a crate motor, it shouldn't be that hard to offer it in a production car. My only concern is emissions cdrtification. I noticed the engine was not certified at this time.
Old 11/12/08, 07:38 AM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sorry I don't have the fancy know how you have, why don't you get a Camaro that will have more HP AND torque..... Last I checked no replacement for displacement right?

I don't understand these blind defenses for Ford's V8 being underpowered. Are you guys Ford shareholders or some something?
There is a replacement for displacement. It's direct injection and forced induction (and a healthy sum of money).
2008 BMW 135i - Specs

VEHICLE TYPE: front-engine, rear-wheel-drive, 4-passenger, 2-door coupe
PRICE AS TESTED: $42,895 (base price: $35,675)
ENGINE TYPE: twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve inline-6, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection
Displacement: 182 cu in, 2979cc
Power (SAE net): 300 bhp @ 5800 rpm
Torque (SAE net): 300 lb-ft @ 1400 rpm
Old 11/12/08, 08:32 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Originally Posted by AWmustang
There is a replacement for displacement. It's direct injection and forced induction (and a healthy sum of money).
Thats not a replacment for displacement, you can add direct injection and forced induction on a larger displacment engine and make even more power.

All things equal you will 100% of the time make more power with more displacement.
Old 11/12/08, 08:50 AM
Bullitt Member

No need to get personal, and I've explained many times on this forum that I am a life-long Mustang fan. I have no desire to buy a Camaro, as much because I prefer the Mustang styling, inside and out as the fact that I am a long-time Mustang fan.

But I do expect Ford to upgrade the 4.6 for '10 so that not only will it out-torque the V6 'Maro, but also out-horsepower it as well, bearing in mind that any upgrades are for a one-year run, anyway, if the 5.0 continues on schedule.

And as others have already explained, horsepower is only one factor in performance. Gear ratios, number of gears, final drive ratio, and vehicle weight all impact performance. The old "no replacement for displacement" addage has been long disproved. While simply adding displacement CAN improve performance, all else being equal, there are many other ways to achieve the same performance improvement.

Judging the merits of one vehicle over another based solely on horsepower and number of cylinders is just not seeing the whole picture, is all we're saying. How that horsepower is generated across the rev band and what the vehicle does with it will determine overall performance.

Remember, horsepower is computed from torque multiplied by RPM divided by a constant.

There was no intent in my original reply to irritate or annoy, and if that was the result I apologize. My intent was only to emphasize the relative importance of torque over horsepower in evaluating engine output, all else being equal.
Old 11/12/08, 09:21 AM
Mach 1 Member

2008 BMW 135i - Specs

ENGINE TYPE: twin-turbocharged and intercooled DOHC 24-valve inline-6, aluminum block and head, direct fuel injection
And that's a claimed 300hp. From what I've heard, they make closer to 340hp.
Old 11/12/08, 12:07 PM
Cobra Member

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
Thats not a replacment for displacement, you can add direct injection and forced induction on a larger displacment engine and make even more power.

All things equal you will 100% of the time make more power with more displacement.
I agree with your all thing equal statement, but that's not really how I've understood the displacement quote in the past.

Zoomie says it best above. Yes adding displacement will generally increase power and torque, however there are other ways to add power and torque.

In that respect there are now replacements for displacement. I guess it just depends on how you look at it.
Old 11/12/08, 12:14 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Old 11/12/08, 02:17 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by VA_Ford
With the Camaro, they still have a slight problem with weight. I generally ignore the Japanese manufacturers since their cars may be competition within the marketplace, yet they are inherently different cars. It's fairly easy to poke holes in the muscle car formula if you're comparing it to a sports car approach.

It's laughable because GM has made that the "stat of choice." Ignore a heavier Camaro, ignore the larger pricetag, ignore the similar fuel economy as a V8 with more torque.

You're right, we should compare it to the base Mustang. But the 300 HP figure is too much for people. They gravitate to it, and immediately look at the Mustang GT with 300 HP, which will outperform the base Camaro in stock form.

Now about the Camaro SS - Ford better come back strong, because you're right, that's where the real comparison lies. GT vs. SS needs some perspective though. GM had years to study and formulate their answer to the Mustang. It's no surprise that the power gap is there. But nothing about an Australian chassis with an LS engine makes me break out in sweats. This Camaro is teetering on the edge of 'muscle' or 'pony', much closer to the Corvette than I'm sure some at GM would like.

I want to see Ford's answer...what I don't want to see is Ford slapping the Mustang name on a sports car.

Sure the Mustang GT may be the faster car, but i'm not so sure it will outperform it. I'm not positive on this but I think all Camaros including base models will have 6 speed AT/MT, IRS big brakes..... As far as MPG numbers go the V6 Camaro gets better MPGs than the current V6 Mustang never mind the GT model. I agree it does cost more, but for all the extra stuff you get, IMO at least with the base model comparison the Camaro is the better buy and worth the extra couple grand.
Old 11/12/08, 02:26 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Zoomie
No need to get personal, and I've explained many times on this forum that I am a life-long Mustang fan. I have no desire to buy a Camaro, as much because I prefer the Mustang styling, inside and out as the fact that I am a long-time Mustang fan.

But I do expect Ford to upgrade the 4.6 for '10 so that not only will it out-torque the V6 'Maro, but also out-horsepower it as well, bearing in mind that any upgrades are for a one-year run, anyway, if the 5.0 continues on schedule.

And as others have already explained, horsepower is only one factor in performance. Gear ratios, number of gears, final drive ratio, and vehicle weight all impact performance. The old "no replacement for displacement" addage has been long disproved. While simply adding displacement CAN improve performance, all else being equal, there are many other ways to achieve the same performance improvement.

Judging the merits of one vehicle over another based solely on horsepower and number of cylinders is just not seeing the whole picture, is all we're saying. How that horsepower is generated across the rev band and what the vehicle does with it will determine overall performance.

Remember, horsepower is computed from torque multiplied by RPM divided by a constant.

There was no intent in my original reply to irritate or annoy, and if that was the result I apologize. My intent was only to emphasize the relative importance of torque over horsepower in evaluating engine output, all else being equal.
I agree HP isn't everything, but from the concrete knowledge we do know at this time is that the Camaro has 6 speeds, direct injection, cylinder deactivation, IRS, Brembo brakes lets not forget the wealth of engines GM can stick into this car over the years. SEMA already showcased a Camaro with an LS7, I see this being a GT500 beater if it is produced......in other words this car has a lot of premium stuff standard or already in GM's portfolio and unlike Ford is able to share these go fast parts with several other models helping keep cost in check. I see Ford's only true advantage at this point is it's light weight and interior options and quality. Looks are subjective, and price isn't as high as people thought it would be. I can almost assure you that the MSRP will increase in 10' and 11' Mustang so the price gap will be even less noticeable. I can't wait to see the specs of both the Camro and 10' Mustang specs.should be interesting.
Old 11/12/08, 02:31 PM
Cobra R Member

2008 BMW 135i - Specs

The new Camaro already has direct injection, so not only does it produce a lot more power but also is expected to get better MPGs than the current 4.6. I agree the engine of the BMW is impressive for it's size but, it still pails in comparison to the LS motors in the Camaro by over 100 hp and tq. I would argue that a fully equipped SS Camaro would best a new M3 out on the track and humiliate the BMW 135i.
Old 11/12/08, 08:16 PM
Mach 1 Member

The new Camaro already has direct injection, so not only does it produce a lot more power but also is expected to get better MPGs than the current 4.6. I agree the engine of the BMW is impressive for it's size but, it still pails in comparison to the LS motors in the Camaro by over 100 hp and tq. I would argue that a fully equipped SS Camaro would best a new M3 out on the track and humiliate the BMW 135i.

I think you are wrong (respectfully) if you think a new SS equipped Camaro will beat a M3 on the track. The power to weight ratio will favor the M3 by quite a bit..The car will weight more than 600lbs more than a E92 M3 and on a race track weight is king.
Of course it's just conjecture since there isn't even a SS Camaro even released yet, but you really owe yourself a drive in a new E92 M3. That is why I am hoping the 5.0L 4V motor Mustang with updated suspension could be the poor man's M3.

You may have one or two quick laps, but that added weight will take it's toll on brakes and tires and then it's just literally a slippery slide down the slope.

Regarding the 135i or even a 335i those motors make maximum torque at 1300rpm-just off of idle all the way to 5500rpm and they pull all the way to their redline. BMW 335i's run low 13's @106+mph bone stock with their puny 3.0l motors.

Last edited by Dave07997S; 11/12/08 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11/12/08, 08:20 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by SuperSugeKnight
And that's a claimed 300hp. From what I've heard, they make closer to 340hp.
Actually closer to 320-325, but the fuel mapping in BMW's will allow for more ignition timing up to 95 octane. This could get you closer to the 340hp range.
Old 11/13/08, 02:20 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Dave07997S
I think you are wrong (respectfully) if you think a new SS equipped Camaro will beat a M3 on the track. The power to weight ratio will favor the M3 by quite a bit..The car will weight more than 600lbs more than a E92 M3 and on a race track weight is king.
Of course it's just conjecture since there isn't even a SS Camaro even released yet, but you really owe yourself a drive in a new E92 M3. That is why I am hoping the 5.0L 4V motor Mustang with updated suspension could be the poor man's M3.

You may have one or two quick laps, but that added weight will take it's toll on brakes and tires and then it's just literally a slippery slide down the slope.

Regarding the 135i or even a 335i those motors make maximum torque at 1300rpm-just off of idle all the way to 5500rpm and they pull all the way to their redline. BMW 335i's run low 13's @106+mph bone stock with their puny 3.0l motors.
I agree, perhaps I was a little hasty with my comparison in a road course vs. the M3. But is it's price range it will have few peers. I do think it will be the faster car on the strip vs the M3, and by far the best handling of the new age American muscle cars. I'm guessing 12.8- 13.2 in the 1/4. (Chevy always under rates power output)