Sponsored By:

2010-2014 Ford Mustang S-197 Gen II Lets see your latest Pics PHOTO GALLERY

Search this Thread

Old 5/17/16, 03:08 PM
Like Father...
I ♥ Sausage

Received 640 Likes on 463 Posts
Originally Posted by FromZto5

Hopefully done today, but might have a chance it will be tomorrow. Ugh. The removal of stock parts I thought would be the bugger, but he said wiggling the new parts in and getting it all lined up was also a pain.
Yours probably wasn't as bad as it could have been because of the low mileage. Getting those manifold bolts out of a car with a lot of miles is a freakin' nightmare. Very easy to break one off in the head. And I can only imagine trying to thread long tubes in around all the stuff in a modern engine bay.

The main problem I've always had with cars in the past (back in the day) that had headers was gaskets burning out and leaking at the head a lot sooner than stock manifolds and gaskets. Then having to try and get them loose to get a new gasket in there and tightened back up correctly.

And also starter problems from the heat where the headers wrapped around it before the collector.

Last edited by Rather B.Blown; 5/17/16 at 03:09 PM.
Old 5/17/16, 04:32 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
From my weekend at the track. Cool foggy morning before it burnt off and became sunny and beautiful.

Great pic.
Old 5/17/16, 05:16 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
My favorite black 13-14 GT easily. Very nice looking Nathan!! What springs do you have?Sweet! Did you run some autocross or on a track?
Thanks Sean. I'm on the Steeda Sports right now.
Originally Posted by Stage_3
That's the way to do it brother!! Way to go.

Nathan,....your car looks ****ing killer bro!
Great photos too.
Thanks Tony!
Getting closer.... both headers on. Bolts are back on.

[img]http://s20.postimg.org/vwtq6oovh/IMG_2612.jpg[/mg]

[img]http://s20.postimg.org/nslm1y2gd/IMG_2614.jpg[/ig]

[img]http://s20.postimg.org/wc4zzpast/IMG_2615.jpg[/im]
Getting closer!
Old 5/17/16, 06:58 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In progress pics from my buddy. Hopefully done today, but realistically it won't be till tomorrow But I'm stoked nonetheless. He got 1 stock cat/header out so far.

So much envy on the new parts. Really want to swap my headers out for some new shorty's and a catted h-pipe but I think I'm leaning toward a CAI/tune first or some stripes. Not sure what to do yet....not enough money to do them all at the same time....

No as nice as it would be to do it all at once, I like the constant flow of working on my car and doing it bit by bit...gives me something to do.

Originally Posted by Blue Notch
Went out tonight and took some pics. Love being able to remove the front plate.
Your car is looking hot! Did you have to fill any holes on your bumper? I want to get a hide away license plate holder but mine's currently mounted with holes to the front bumper (stupid Ohio). Anyone have some good ideas for filling those bumper holes? And please don't troll with 'get a new bumper '
Old 5/17/16, 07:11 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 111 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by ford20
My favorite black 13-14 GT easily. Very nice looking Nathan!! What springs do you have?

Sweet! Did you run some autocross or on a track?
Road course. Lime Rock park in CT. Instructed for Audi Club. 3 days of track time
Old 5/17/16, 07:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Originally Posted by dmichaels
From my weekend at the track. Cool foggy morning before it burnt off and became sunny and beautiful.
badass!
Old 5/17/16, 09:07 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Originally Posted by mkj5013
Your car is looking hot! Did you have to fill any holes on your bumper? I want to get a hide away license plate holder but mine's currently mounted with holes to the front bumper (stupid Ohio). Anyone have some good ideas for filling those bumper holes? And please don't troll with 'get a new bumper '
No, I lucked out and my bumper was never drilled. Just a couple of tiny little dimples. Most people just use some sort of plug and paint them to match. Not perfect, but better than holes.
Old 5/18/16, 04:44 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by mkj5013
Anyone have some good ideas for filling those bumper holes? And please don't troll with 'get a new bumper '
I got my bumper plugs from here:

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...&product_id=78

Admittedly expensive, and there's probably something cheaper out there but I got caught up in the moment.

Here's the license plate before and after. The plugs match perfectly with my non-OEM stripes. It's an acceptable compromise.
Attached Thumbnails 2010-2014 Ford Mustang S-197 Gen II Lets see your latest Pics PHOTO GALLERY-before.jpg   2010-2014 Ford Mustang S-197 Gen II Lets see your latest Pics PHOTO GALLERY-sam_4395.jpg   2010-2014 Ford Mustang S-197 Gen II Lets see your latest Pics PHOTO GALLERY-sam_4398.jpg   2010-2014 Ford Mustang S-197 Gen II Lets see your latest Pics PHOTO GALLERY-sam_4391.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Coyote5-0 (5/18/16)
Old 5/18/16, 08:33 AM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
I got my bumper plugs from here:

http://www.bumperplugs.com/index.php...&product_id=78

Admittedly expensive, and there's probably something cheaper out there but I got caught up in the moment.

Here's the license plate before and after. The plugs match perfectly with my non-OEM stripes. It's an acceptable compromise.

looking good Tom, but i don't get the side mounted idea. doesn't look right to me. I'm not a fan of the plate off to one side. it draws my eye right to it too much. I understand the possibility of cutting airflow for an intercooler, but even then it wouldn't be enough to matter.

just my 2 cents.
Old 5/18/16, 08:36 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 51 Likes on 47 Posts
Originally Posted by DarrenGT
looking good Tom, but i don't get the side mounted idea. doesn't look right to me. I'm not a fan of the plate off to one side. it draws my eye right to it too much. I understand the possibility of cutting airflow for an intercooler, but even then it wouldn't be enough to matter.

just my 2 cents.
It looks uglier dead center.
Old 5/18/16, 08:39 AM
FR500 Member

Received 118 Likes on 101 Posts

just my 2 cents.
That was out of necessity Darren. When I loosened the lower engine cover, the retaining clip/screw came out. There's no way to get it back without removing the whole thing, and I don't have a jack. I didn't want to chance taking off the entire cover for just one clip out of fear that I might lose others, so I just moved the female mounting plate over to the right.
Old 5/18/16, 01:19 PM
GT Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions! I'll look into them and try to visualize how it will look if I plug them. I feel like it would be harder to notice if I have stripes but just a plain car with plugs might be obvious or weird looking.

Also, looking for suggestions on what to do for my grille. My stock V6 grille is boring and right now, I used a dark chrome kit to try to darken it down from the bright chrome but without proper finishing, it's starting to chip off and not look very good. I have a SGM car and I'm looking for the more 'sinister' look. Should I go with some sort of billet grille with a grille emblem on it or pull the stock grille and paint the chrome trim a matte black? I've also toyed with a fog light grille but with fog light deletes and just halo LEDs in them but I don't like the aura of 'impersonating' a GT that I don't have. I just think the stock V6 grille is lack luster. Thanks in advance for advice or suggestions!
Old 5/18/16, 01:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

just my 2 cents.

Agree.

Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
It looks uglier dead center.

Do not agree. Look at Gabe's when he has his plate on. Symmetry rules.

John
Old 5/18/16, 02:02 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

By the way, you can make your own plugs by getting plastic push fasteners from an auto parts store and painting them with Ford touch up paint. That's what I did.
Old 5/18/16, 02:05 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by Horspla
Agree.

Do not agree. Look at Gabe's when he has his plate on. Symmetry rules.

John
I just think that with it dead center, it ruins the look of the front bumper. With it low and off to the side, you retain the fluidity of the front bumper. No protruding plastic piece.
Old 5/18/16, 02:46 PM
Super Boss Lawman Member

Received 212 Likes on 145 Posts
Originally Posted by TripleBlack14
That was out of necessity Darren. When I loosened the lower engine cover, the retaining clip/screw came out. There's no way to get it back without removing the whole thing, and I don't have a jack. I didn't want to chance taking off the entire cover for just one clip out of fear that I might lose others, so I just moved the female mounting plate over to the right.
Gotcha!

Don't get me wrong i don't think side mounted is ugly, just not my flava

I have actually been running mine with no front plate for a while. i keep it in the back seat in case. The polices actually parked all around my car other day while i was getting groceries. they said nothing to me when i loaded up and left.

Old 5/18/16, 02:51 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
^^ Same here. I have run no front plate on my Mustang(s) for about 12 years as well as our Mini(s) for the past 5-6 years or so between two states that are both front plate states. I have been pulled over once in all that time (at the airport of all places) and was let go with a warning...

*knocks on wood, just in case*
Old 5/18/16, 02:54 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 23 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by Coyote5-0
I just think that with it dead center, it ruins the look of the front bumper. With it low and off to the side, you retain the fluidity of the front bumper. No protruding plastic piece.
I have it dead center. Looks better IMHO.

LEXiiON
Attached Thumbnails 2010-2014 Ford Mustang S-197 Gen II Lets see your latest Pics PHOTO GALLERY-2015-12-04-07.10.04.jpg  
Old 5/18/16, 02:55 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 53 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by Rather B.Blown
Yours probably wasn't as bad as it could have been because of the low mileage. Getting those manifold bolts out of a car with a lot of miles is a freakin' nightmare. Very easy to break one off in the head. And I can only imagine trying to thread long tubes in around all the stuff in a modern engine bay.

The main problem I've always had with cars in the past (back in the day) that had headers was gaskets burning out and leaking at the head a lot sooner than stock manifolds and gaskets. Then having to try and get them loose to get a new gasket in there and tightened back up correctly.

And also starter problems from the heat where the headers wrapped around it before the collector.
One of the reasons I went with American Racing headers is because of the fitment--specifically, they didn't go through gaskets every six months on a car that was raced/tracked. Kooks and BBK didn't fit quite as well (when I was in the market for LTH's) at the time and more than a few people who used them, both on 5.0's and the new Trinity plant in the '13 500, were having exhaust leaks and power loss issues due to them not fitting as well as the AR's. This was three years ago, so that's likely been dealt with at this point I would think, but I've had mine on there now and they've given me no problems through three years and running upwards of 800hp through the block.
Old 5/18/16, 04:40 PM
Roush Forum Stalker

Received 1,733 Likes on 1,232 Posts
I have actually been running mine with no front plate for a while. i keep it in the back seat in case. The polices actually parked all around my car other day while i was getting groceries. they said nothing to me when i loaded up and left.
Beautiful car Darren.

Originally Posted by Iceknyght
^^ Same here. I have run no front plate on my Mustang
Same here.

Quick Reply: 2010-2014 Ford Mustang S-197 Gen II Lets see your latest Pics PHOTO GALLERY