2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2005-2010 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11/23/08 | 03:28 AM
Cobra Member

Avro Arrow? Awesome plane, but I didn't realize any still existed.
Old 11/23/08 | 05:41 AM
Closet American

It's a sad chapter in Canadian history. It was the most advanced aircraft of its day (in fact it was YEARS ahead of its time), and we pissed it away mostly thanks to short-sighted politicians.
Old 11/23/08 | 01:23 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by watchdevil
I have been studying car design and history since before you were born.
Really? You must be at least 65 years old then. Somehow, I doubt that.

And if you think Iacocca was anything more than the businessman behind the Mustang, you are sorely mistaken. He didn't dictate how the car was styled. You need to read his autobiography before continuing your speech.
Old 11/23/08 | 01:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by holderca1
This is a funny post. You say it has nothing to do with when a design is created, then you immediately follow that with it's about heritage. What do you think heritage means??? Open my mind? Even more hilarious, since you are the one that is so close-minded to anything that isn't American.

I said heritage IN styling... which of course has nothing to do with WHEN a design was created. You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.

A design could have been created at ANY time in history. And guess what? If those design cues are recreated later on, (any time later), then it can be said to have heritage styling. The Mustang has had a repeating theme throughout its history. That shouldn't be too hard for you to understand.
Old 11/24/08 | 03:28 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Even Steven
I said heritage IN styling... which of course has nothing to do with WHEN a design was created. You seem to have a reading comprehension problem.

A design could have been created at ANY time in history. And guess what? If those design cues are recreated later on, (any time later), then it can be said to have heritage styling. The Mustang has had a repeating theme throughout its history. That shouldn't be too hard for you to understand.
You really don't get it, no point continuing this conversation. I will stop feeding the troll now.
Old 11/24/08 | 05:49 AM
Banned

You really don't get it, no point continuing this conversation. I will stop feeding the troll now.

Troll? Really? Grow up, Sparky. And as far as ME not getting it...well, that's laughable. Last time I checked, it was ME trying to explain to YOU what I meant. Hit the books and improve your reading comprehension skills before posting to me again.
Old 11/24/08 | 06:46 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Troll? Really? Grow up, Sparky. And as far as ME not getting it...well, that's laughable. Last time I checked, it was ME trying to explain to YOU what I meant. Hit the books and improve your reading comprehension skills before posting to me again.
Thanks for making my point. I don't need it explained to me, I already got it and with multiple degrees, my reading comprehension is just fine.
Old 11/24/08 | 07:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

I agree with the gentlemen you are badgering. You appear in your posts to be incredibly closed minded with you opinion being the only one that matters. For me I really don't care about japanese design vs. canadian design vs. heritage design vs. modern design. but the fact that you are not allowing anyone else to post a contrasting point of view makes you appear very " trollish". Now since you are over 65 you may not understand the meaning of that word, but it has to do with nit-picking and close mindedness.

As far as you not getting it, He is trying to explain to you his point of view, just as you are trying to explain to him your point of view. Your inability to understand his point of view is hypocritical considering you constant demand that he understand yours. Once again a trollish attribute.

I would presume a gentleman of your years would have more experience in the world, then to continue meaningless banter like this. While I am not your senior, I must say you are not acting your age.

It has been my personal experience that heritage in the current vernacular has to do with history and consequently a when. I do not know how someone can look at a historical point and not encounter the when. But I think what you are getting at is the mustang design is timeless. And though the cues recurr it must continue to look like a mustang. however, that timeless design was inherited from iconic mustangs of the past.

Now I presume this post will get under your collar, and I apologize in advance for that, but please keep an open mind and allow others to be open minded as well.
Old 11/24/08 | 07:20 AM
Mach 1 Member

You're all a bunch of poopyheads.
Old 11/24/08 | 07:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by zzcoop

Aaron, you always crack me up!
Old 11/24/08 | 07:36 AM
Bullitt Member

Pretty well sums it up...
Old 11/24/08 | 08:02 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

And if you think Iacocca was anything more than the businessman behind the Mustang, you are sorely mistaken. He didn't dictate how the car was styled. You need to read his autobiography before continuing your speech.

I have already read his autobiography long ago thank you. You are the only one sorely mistaken if you assume I don't know anything about him.

Nowhere have I suggested that he literally dictated how any car will look. He had basic ideas of what he thought would sell and the designers did all the work to come up with winning designs. It's no different than when Iacocca lead the idea of a mini-van which Ford ultimately rejected so he took it to Chrysler. However when he got to Chrysler his influence did result in a Masarati TC by Chrysler which feautured of all things, the Thunderbird style hardtop with the porthole quarter windows. It's no secret Iacocca was very fond of the Thunderbird.

Last edited by watchdevil; 11/24/08 at 08:04 AM.
Old 11/24/08 | 08:37 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

The Porcshe 911 retains all the basic shapes and cues it had that made it popular in the beginning of it's legacy. If the design changed too much it would certainly be rejected by many. Everyone knows the newer 911's are not the same exact designs they were originally. They retained the basic familiarity and continually refined it over the decades. The 911 is amazingly still fresh and modern looking as if it has no time space to actually place it.

The only difference between the 911 style and the Mustang is that the basic shape of the 911 has stayed closer to the original than the Mustang has. The Mustang has been forced to adapt the design language with other Ford models presented in each decade. The 1979-93 Mustangs were the only deviation where they did not use identifiable traditional Mustang cues. Enthusiasts expressed their desire for original Mustang cues to be returned and ever since 1994 this has been so.

The sucess of the 2005-09 models has a lot to do with the fact that in this decade, cleaner straighter edges like those found on the original Mustang are in style as opposed to rounded bulbous shapes. Cars like the last Thunderbird fit in the transition from the 1990's to the 2000's with it's rounded corners and slab sides. All this corresponds to a history repeat of the more rounded body shapes of the late 1950's to the boxier angular shapes that took precidence by the mid 1960's. Now we are transitioning into the more complex body shapes as was done in the early 1970's.
Old 11/24/08 | 01:24 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by jarradasay
I agree with the gentlemen you are badgering. You appear in your posts to be incredibly closed minded with you opinion being the only one that matters. For me I really don't care about japanese design vs. canadian design vs. heritage design vs. modern design. but the fact that you are not allowing anyone else to post a contrasting point of view makes you appear very " trollish". Now since you are over 65...
nice:
Sorry, I stopped reading your post right there because you're another one with reading comprehension problems. I never said I was over 65. I never even said I was anywhere near 65.
Old 11/24/08 | 01:25 PM
Banned

I have already read his autobiography long ago thank you. You are the only one sorely mistaken if you assume I don't know anything about him.

Nowhere have I suggested that he literally dictated how any car will look. He had basic ideas of what he thought would sell and the designers did all the work to come up with winning designs. It's no different than when Iacocca lead the idea of a mini-van which Ford ultimately rejected so he took it to Chrysler. However when he got to Chrysler his influence did result in a Masarati TC by Chrysler which feautured of all things, the Thunderbird style hardtop with the porthole quarter windows. It's no secret Iacocca was very fond of the Thunderbird.
He didn't influence the design of the original Mustang. He's a businessman, pure and simple. That was my only point, then and now. Go re-read your posts and you'll see where you suggested that he was responsible for the design of the orginal Mustang. Not my words, but yours.
Old 11/24/08 | 01:29 PM
Banned

The Porcshe 911 retains all the basic shapes and cues it had that made it popular in the beginning of it's legacy. If the design changed too much it would certainly be rejected by many. Everyone knows the newer 911's are not the same exact designs they were originally. They retained the basic familiarity and continually refined it over the decades. The 911 is amazingly still fresh and modern looking as if it has no time space to actually place it.

The only difference between the 911 style and the Mustang is that the basic shape of the 911 has stayed closer to the original than the Mustang has. The Mustang has been forced to adapt the design language with other Ford models presented in each decade. The 1979-93 Mustangs were the only deviation where they did not use identifiable traditional Mustang cues. Enthusiasts expressed their desire for original Mustang cues to be returned and ever since 1994 this has been so.

The sucess of the 2005-09 models has a lot to do with the fact that in this decade, cleaner straighter edges like those found on the original Mustang are in style as opposed to rounded bulbous shapes. Cars like the last Thunderbird fit in the transition from the 1990's to the 2000's with it's rounded corners and slab sides. All this corresponds to a history repeat of the more rounded body shapes of the late 1950's to the boxier angular shapes that took precidence by the mid 1960's. Now we are transitioning into the more complex body shapes as was done in the early 1970's.
I don't think it is fair to compare the Mustang to the 911 in terms of heritage styling. The Mustang went through far bigger styling changes than the 911 throughout it's history. They retained the same basic look, while the Mustang went through different styling changes over time. Not until 2005 did Ford finally bring back the classic styling that was so popular in the 60's. It's just too bad they didn't continue with a true heritage styling exercise for 2010 instead of going with a "modernized" version of it.
Old 11/24/08 | 01:31 PM
Banned

Thanks for making my point. I don't need it explained to me, I already got it and with multiple degrees, my reading comprehension is just fine.
Hey, since you mentioned it, tell me about your "multiple degrees"

Whatcha got and where did you get it?

I'm just curious because I also have "multiple degrees."
Old 11/24/08 | 01:35 PM
I Have No Life

I'll stick with my 05 even after the comparison shots. I still don't care for the design. As for the 05-09 looking outdated...hmmm, well wasn't it suppose to look like it went back to its roots for looks? Some things I like on the 2010+, such as the front fascia and hood but as far as exterior goes that is where it ends for me. The interior I really like but still haven't seen any reason to trade mine in on a new model.
Old 11/24/08 | 01:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adrenalin
As for the 05-09 looking outdated...hmmm, well wasn't it suppose to look like it went back to its roots for looks?
I'll say this again... it's possible for a design that "goes back to its roots" to eventually look dated itself. Just look at the Mustang II.

And I myself have multiple degrees. Of annoyance with all this bickering!

Last edited by zzcoop; 11/24/08 at 01:42 PM.
Old 11/24/08 | 01:42 PM
Banned

I'll say this again... it's possible for a design that "goes back to its roots" to eventually look dated itself. Just look at the Mustang II.
You think the Mustang II design "goes back to its roots"? Are you serious?

True classical styling never looks dated, IMO. That's the beauty of it. To my eyes, a '69 Mustang can never look "dated", even though it's neary 40 years old.

Quick Reply: 2005-2010 Comparison