2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}

2005-2010 Comparison

Search this Thread

Old 11/21/08 | 02:55 PM
V6 Member

They should have kept the same body on the 2010, offered a Boss 302 and a Mach 1 351 NA.
I would have traded mine in for one of those. But I'm going to buy Fords version of a Celica.
What a disappointment. I'll keep the my 07, cam, bore and stroke it in 5 Years.

Last edited by fixmejesus; 11/21/08 at 02:58 PM.
Old 11/21/08 | 02:58 PM
Cobra R Member

JESUS Help Him! Dude, The Celica's You Keep Referring To Were Nothing More Than RIP OFF'S of the WILDLY POPULAR 69 and 70 Mustangs! What did you want Ford to Do? Keep the Same Tired Body Around for 10 Years like the Fox? You Can't Do That In This Day And Age!!!

Last edited by TampaBear67; 11/21/08 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11/21/08 | 03:01 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
I really like the painted uprights.
me too. If i manage to afford one I will have to have it painted.
Old 11/21/08 | 03:05 PM
Cobra Member

overall.. I still like the 05-09's better. Hate the 10's rear and squinty nose but LOVE the interior.. the pic I have in my avator(my car) is absolute the best pic that I have ever seen of a mustang.. Love the stance and top and no spoiler..

Last edited by topbliss; 11/21/08 at 03:06 PM.
Old 11/21/08 | 06:10 PM
Bullitt Member

It is starting to grow on me, at first I hated it but now I see its potential. The rear end is horrific looking and really screws the whole look of the car up. The car definately needs mods!!!!!!!!!

I would start by removing the cheap looking dark grey ground effects on the car and replacing them with painted parts. I would think that mod alone would make a world of difference.

Last edited by 8905GT; 11/21/08 at 06:18 PM.
Old 11/21/08 | 08:44 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zzcoop
The Foxes were about as Euro and out of step (design-wise) from the Mustang heritage as you can get, but you're hung up on the 2010 being too Euro because of some awkward taillights and a chunky bumper?

No, I just don't see the Euro design influence in the fox body cars. Like I said, maybe you can make an argument for the 87 GT, with it's lower body treatment and air ducts and such, but I just don't see Euro in the design of the car. One look at the back of the 2010 and it screams Euro to me. Actually, it even seems to have some Japanese influence as well. It's just too busy with too many contorted angles. The only thing it's missing to be truly like a Japanese car is the really sharp angles.
Old 11/21/08 | 08:46 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by TampaBear67
Jack Telnack Chief Designer of the 79 Fox Body Mustang Stated In Many Interviews that When they Came to Redesign the Mustang That the New Mustang Was Inspired By European Cars, in It's Design and Execution.

I Know My Design History, I Am A Designer Myself and Pride My Self In the Knowledge I have of Automotive Design and History, Especially Fords.
Okay, so now we have you claiming that the '79 - '93 Stangs were European inspired, and we have another guy who claims the original Stang was European inspired.

So here's the question... why are you guys so against the idea of the 2010 being European inspired then?
Old 11/21/08 | 08:48 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Even Steven
why are you guys so against the idea of the 2010 being European inspired then?
Are they?
Old 11/21/08 | 08:53 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sscobra
Wow. You are arguing the same point that I am making. Did you even read the entire post I made? Better yet understand it? Solid limited slip rear axles(not axles but differentials), true dual exhaust are nothing specific to mustangs. This is about styling and heritage. Crown vics have V8s, true dual exhaust and limited slip diffs..so it has the basics of the mustang, right? The "basics" of being a mustang not only includes the drivetrain, but maybe more importantly, includes it's styling based on it's heritage. Your missing the point.

First of all, you don't have to tell me about differentials. You know **** well what I meant. I've changed more ring and pinion sets in my lifetime than you could possibly imagine. In fact, I used to be the only tech in my shop that could set the backlash properly when other guys were having problems and ended up with too much gear whine.

As for my point-- of course those things weren't specific to just Mustangs. That's not the point. The point is that they were specific in the Mustang and that never changed with the introduction of the Fox body cars. The styling definitely changed over the years, some for the better and some for the worse. Just because the styling changed doesn't mean the car wasn't a Mustang. Even the dreaded Mustang II was still a Mustang. That's my point. I'm not sure what point you're making.
Old 11/21/08 | 08:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

When did I say I was against it? My point is that the Mustang is no stranger to having a European influence... basically a "so what?" to your initial criticism of the 2010 having a Euro influence. Just pointing out that it's neither the first time nor a bad thing.

As for the Foxes specifically, IMO, the entire shape and profile of the car itself is quite European, particularly the liftback models. It's all subjective, of course. But that's the way I see it.
Old 11/21/08 | 08:58 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by saleen367
no pissing match here, but you are wrong (and right) ... I used to race a 86 Mustang with my 85 1/2 SVO and beat him every time, plus I had more on the top end (I personally saw 137 but ran out of road) and yes, they were more expensive and they debuted at a time when the 5.0 was making a comeback ... which meant very few were willing to pony up. They were about 5 years late getting to market and it sealed their fate. The SVO was an incredible car ... if you ever get the chance, take one for a spin.

Take one for a spin? One of my best friends had an 86 SVO. I've driven it many, many times. It handled better than my GT for sure and seemed to have more stopping poiwer. Overall, it was a nice car, but you're smoking some funny stuff if you think any SVO was able to keep up with the same year GT, stock for stock. I grew up on 5.0L Mustangs (my first was a 87 GT) and everyone knows that the SVO could not keep up with the 87 and later GTs. By the way, the 86 GT wasn't quite as quick as the 87 (first year with 225 HP), which was a speed density car. But still, if you beat your buddy in an 86 GT, then I doubt he could drive the car to it's true potential.
Old 11/21/08 | 08:58 PM
Mach 1 Member

And for the record, I'm in no way suggesting that the Foxes weren't Mustangs. Quite the contrary, as a matter of fact.
Old 11/21/08 | 09:01 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Wolfsburg
Are they?
It seems so... every time I mention it, someone tells me I'm wrong. I'm just calling it the way I see it. It's nothing more than an opinion.
Old 11/21/08 | 09:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by zzcoop
When did I say I was against it? My point is that the Mustang is no stranger to having a European influence... basically a "so what?" to your initial criticism of the 2010 having a Euro influence. Just pointing out that it's neither the first time nor a bad thing.

As for the Foxes specifically, IMO, the entire shape and profile of the car itself is quite European, particularly the liftback models. It's all subjective, of course. But that's the way I see it.
Okay, fair enough.

So do you see European design influence in the '05 to '09 cars?
Old 11/21/08 | 10:48 PM
Mach 1 Member

First of all, you don't have to tell me about differentials. You know **** well what I meant. I've changed more ring and pinion sets in my lifetime than you could possibly imagine. In fact, I used to be the only tech in my shop that could set the backlash properly when other guys were having problems and ended up with too much gear whine.

As for my point-- of course those things weren't specific to just Mustangs. That's not the point. The point is that they were specific in the Mustang and that never changed with the introduction of the Fox body cars. The styling definitely changed over the years, some for the better and some for the worse. Just because the styling changed doesn't mean the car wasn't a Mustang. Even the dreaded Mustang II was still a Mustang. That's my point. I'm not sure what point you're making.

First of all, it's not a big deal. Second you still don't get it. My point was that the fox bodies had nothing "mustang" about them. Meaning style wise, if you slowly read the original post. You then made the comment about them being like all "mustangs" base on their drivetrain. Which I also eluded to in the first post. Then you make the above statement. While I hate the mustang II(flame suit on), it still had the exterior traits of its predecessors. Does that mean it looked good...no! I never said it wasn't a mustang. Again My Point Is- the fox body mustangs don't look like any of their predecessors and or share any original mustang specific styling traits. That's it.
Old 11/21/08 | 10:59 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by sscobra
First of all, it's not a big deal. Second you still don't get it. My point was that the fox bodies had nothing "mustang" about them. Meaning style wise, if you slowly read the original post. You then made the comment about them being like all "mustangs" base on their drivetrain. Which I also eluded to in the first post. Then you make the above statement. While I hate the mustang II(flame suit on), it still had the exterior traits of its predecessors. Does that mean it looked good...no! I never said it wasn't a mustang. Again My Point Is- the fox body mustangs don't look like any of their predecessors and or share any original mustang specific styling traits. That's it.

Okay, but aren't you the same guy who said the fox bodies were Euro-inspired? I'm still waiting for someone (anyone) to explain that one to me!
Old 11/21/08 | 11:15 PM
Mach 1 Member

Okay, but aren't you the same guy who said the fox bodies were Euro-inspired? I'm still waiting for someone (anyone) to explain that one to me!
No I never said that.
Old 11/21/08 | 11:21 PM
Mach 1 Member

Just look at the angular, geometric designs of the European cars of the day. Audi, in particular. Who had (and someone correct me if I'm wrong) a model called, oddly enough, the Fox. Which if I'm not mistaken, had more than a little to do with the platform of the same name.

Last edited by zzcoop; 11/21/08 at 11:23 PM.
Old 11/21/08 | 11:53 PM
Cobra R Member

I Said that the Original Mustang was Inspired by the European Sports Cars, as well as Jack Telnack saying that they were inspired by European designs of the time when designing the Original Fox Bodied Mustangs, which to me is Best Exhibited by the SVO's.

I Have Never Said that I hate Any Mustang. I Actually Love most of them.
I am not a big fan of any of the Hardtop Coupes of the 60's or 70's, preferring the Sleek Fastbacks. I'm not a big fan of the Mustang II's either but I do admire some of them. If it wasn't for the Mustang II's we would be where GM, and Chrysler have been. Without a Pony/Muscle Car, but the Mustang has Continued in production for 45 years, Uninterupted.

I also like the Fox's, SN-95's and S-197's They're All Mustangs. Personaly I would want to own either a 67-73 Fastback or a 2005-09. So to me the 2010 is the perfect Mustang for me. It's Classic Enough, yet has some New Design Elements Mixed in that give it a Unique Look.

I'm Sorry if Anyone has taken any thing personaly. I know three things that can lead to Heated Arguments, Politic's, Religion, and Cars.

Last edited by TampaBear67; 11/21/08 at 11:55 PM.
Old 11/22/08 | 12:04 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I am failing to see why European-inspired design is a bad thing. They seem to do pretty well in that department.

Quick Reply: 2005-2010 Comparison