Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

100 Octane Safe???

Search this Thread

Old 1/14/11, 03:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
100 Octane Safe???

I'm going to the track this weekend and was wondering it 100 octane fuel or higher(110) is safe to run in my 2010? It's the only fuel at the track...
Old 1/14/11, 04:09 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1,528 Likes on 1,046 Posts
Yeah I'm pretty sure it is "safe", higher octane just makes it more resistant to detonation (pinging) . . . but you probably won't get any extra performance out of it because I doubt the computer is programmed for anything over 94.

Then again I have seen some posts about realy high octane causing incomplete combustion which leaves deposits in the cylinders.

Why not just fill up with 93 before you go? Or maybe 1/2 tank if you don't want the extra weight in the car?
Old 1/14/11, 04:13 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm going to the track this weekend and was wondering it 100 octane fuel or higher(110) is safe to run in my 2010? It's the only fuel at the track...

What kind of track are you going to? Open tracking or drag racing?

If you're drag racing which most of the time is going to be only one speed run on a relatively cool engine, I would simply fill up with your local 91-93 blend before you go to the track.

If you're going to an open track event where you don't want a full tank due to fuel slosh and you may need a refill, a tank of 100 octane isn't going to irreparably do any harm to your engine.

Especially considering you will be running a very hot motor for around 20 minutes at a time.

It is true however that running octane higher than what the engine is designed for can cause unburned hydrocarbons to create carbon deposits within the combustion chamber which can lead to hot spots that cause ping and detonation. This is generally long term use under normal driving conditions that causes this however.

Last edited by jlmounce; 1/14/11 at 04:15 PM.
Old 1/14/11, 04:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Bert
Why not just fill up with 93 before you go? Or maybe 1/2 tank if you don't want the extra weight in the car?
It's full of 93 right now but the track is about an hour away from here...

Originally Posted by jlmounce
What kind of track are you going to? Open tracking or drag racing?

If you're drag racing which most of the time is going to be only one speed run on a relatively cool engine, I would simply fill up with your local 91-93 blend before you go to the track.

If you're going to an open track event where you don't want a full tank due to fuel slosh and you may need a refill, a tank of 100 octane isn't going to irreparably do any harm to your engine.

Especially considering you will be running a very hot motor for around 20 minutes at a time.

It is true however that running octane higher than what the engine is designed for can cause unburned hydrocarbons to create carbon deposits within the combustion chamber which can lead to hot spots that cause ping and detonation. This is generally long term use under normal driving conditions that causes this however.
It's a dragstrip and thanks for the circle track info

I'll just fill up again once i get close to the track and if/before i get too low i'll just leave, but im almost positive that i'm not even gonna race and if i do it'll only be once or twice
Old 1/14/11, 04:48 PM
Bullitt Member

You want only a little amount of fuel if your dragracing. The more gas it has, the more it weighes. F=M A, less mass is always better.
Old 1/14/11, 04:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Onelildude
It's full of 93 right now but the track is about an hour away from here...

It's a dragstrip and thanks for the circle track info

I'll just fill up again once i get close to the track and if/before i get too low i'll just leave, but im almost positive that i'm not even gonna race and if i do it'll only be once or twice
Unless you end up hot lapping and making multiple runs, you'll probably only burn about an 1/8th of a tank at the drag strip. Whenever I go I like to have slightly more than 1/4 tank of fuel for drag racing purposes.

For open track racing I like to start the day with about 3/4 of a tank. This is enough to last most of the day depending on driving habits while not being over filled which can cause fuel to slosh out of the tank through the filler nozzle.

You also want to make sure your fuel level doesn't get so low that you starve the pump during high load turns.
Old 1/14/11, 05:42 PM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The other question about that race gas at the track, is it unleaded race gas?

If not then definitely stay away from it.

But it is really not needed anyway for a basically stock motor.
Old 1/14/11, 06:09 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Ltngdrvr
The other question about that race gas at the track, is it unleaded race gas?

If not then definitely stay away from it.

But it is really not needed anyway for a basically stock motor.
Very good point.

Though most leaded fuels are going to be above 104 octane, so it shouldn't be a problem. Always good to check though!
Old 1/15/11, 09:56 AM

Maybe somebody know the issue in europe most fuel stations have 95e regular or 98e premium. Is the octane rating the same as in the US?
Old 1/15/11, 10:10 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by Martynas
Maybe somebody know the issue in europe most fuel stations have 95e regular or 98e premium. Is the octane rating the same as in the US?
The highest octane I've seen at a gas station in the US is , although I know of a few that sell higher octane they are usually around a race track
Old 1/15/11, 10:50 AM
Mach 1 Member

The methods of calculating octane are different in Europe. If memory serves me correct, it's roughly equivalent to what we have.

Don't quote me on that though.
Old 1/16/11, 02:12 AM
Team Mustang Source

E95 regular unleaded is 90-91 octane. E98 premium is 93-94 octane.
Old 1/16/11, 07:34 PM
Mach 1 Member

If you added timing from a tuner to make use of the extra octane it could translate into a faster time. I am gonna try that in spring. Super high octane and as much timing as the tuner will let me advance. Prolly good for a few ponies and maybe a 10th or 2

Last edited by Everett; 1/16/11 at 07:38 PM.