Vista Blue Vista Blue 2006+ Mustangs

Mod an '07 GT with me

Search this Thread

Old 7/23/06, 08:52 PM
Team Mustang Source Legacy Member

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Mod an '07 GT with me

Well, now that my '07 GT is home, it's time to start putting all the things I've bought for it on.

I brought it home Thursday night, and immediately swapped out the shift **** and power plug for the MGW gripper shift know and GT power plug I had, with satin aluminum trim.
Second, on Saturday I put in the Saleen short shift adapter and Flowmaster mufflers. I even took measurements of before and after for the throw from 3rd to 4th. As you can see, the throw distance before was more than 4 1/2 inches. After it was only 3 inches.
The flowmasters were a little tougher this time around, but actually fit better on the '07 once I tweaked them. The pipes were loose when I put them all together, and the clamps wouldn't tighten down hard enough. I used a metal cutting wheel to cut two slots in the flowmaster pipes, so that when I tightened the clamps, the metal could actually move in and clamp to the stock pipe. It worked great! And when it was all done, the tailpipes fit in the rear bumper cutouts better than they had on the '05, where they were a little un-even.
I finished the mods that day by putting on the MAG mirror inserts.

On Sunday, I decided to do a bit under the hood. First was the MAG plenum cover, customized with the GT fender emblem.
Then I put on the Strange Strut-tower brace (satin). I'm thinking of painting the stb vista blue to match the rest of the car, but haven't decided yet.
I've also finally put on the MRT hood struts I've had for ages. I wanted to paint the brackets first, but I originally ordered Sonic Blue paint to do this, but literally a week after the paint showed up, the '05 was toast. Oh well, I'll order some Vista Blue spray paint tomorrow.
I've also put in the trunk organizer finally, although I'm a little worried about the temporary mount of the nuts I've put in. I'll get them in more solidly later this week.

Here are the pics of the mods so far.

What's up next? I have the C&L intake sitting in the garage with a Diablo tuner, Monday or Tuesday I'll be upgrading to G-Force KDW NT's at 355/45 on all 4 corners, and I've got some charcoal GT embroidered floor mats coming to take the place of the stock parchment floor mats. Tint will be pretty soon also, a must in LV.

As I do these and other mods, I'll post more pics and info in this thread.

Let me know what you think so far.
Attached Thumbnails Mod an '07 GT with me-3rd_before.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-3rd_after.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-4th_before.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-4th_after.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-power_plug.jpg  

Mod an '07 GT with me-flow_tips.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-mirrors.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-over_stb.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-mrt_struts.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-organizer.jpg  

Old 7/23/06, 09:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thumbs up

Looks good!
Old 7/23/06, 10:08 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
ditto! Looks great!
Old 7/24/06, 05:43 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great.

Do you have a link for a place that sells the mirror inserts and trunk organizer?
Old 7/24/06, 09:40 AM

Thanks guys!

The trunk organizer is a Ford part, I think 05stangKC (Kevin) has them available. The mirror inserts and engine cover are from Midwest Auto Gear (MAG - http://www.midwestautogear.com).
Old 7/24/06, 05:10 PM
Bullitt Member

Did you get the IUP with the parchment and black? If so could you post a few pictures. I ordered a vista blue with KC color interior and the IUP and am still a little unsure what I am going to get. Any pictures would be great?
Old 7/25/06, 09:48 AM

No, I didn't get parchment and black, it's all parchment. From the carpet to the headliner. I did get the IUP with it, same as you could get on '05's and 06's. In fact this is just like my '05 on the inside. Except for the heated seats and power passenger seat. Here are pics of the interior.
Attached Thumbnails Mod an '07 GT with me-inter_frt.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-int_rear.jpg  
Old 7/25/06, 07:29 PM
Bullitt Member

Dude you are not wasting any time installing the toys!! She is a beauty.
Old 8/5/06, 01:40 PM

Alright, I had to post a couple more mods, but don't have any pictues yet. First to go in was a set of charcoal GT-embroidered floor mats. They look really good, and are much thicker than the stock mats. Plus they don't show the dirt like the parchment mats.

Then on Thursday I received the tail light harnesses from WebElectric Products, and installed them. I originally had bought the splice-in kit, thinking I would do it all myself. But I found out the hard way that the harnesses in '06 and '07's can't be modified that easily, so I e-mailed WebElectric and we worked out a swap. I sent my unused kit back, and some more dough, and he sent me the new harnesses. I've even sent the stock harnesses back so he can make more for other Mustang owners.

I tried to get the Diablo Predator to install a new tune on the computer, but they don't have support for the newest computers yet. I've spoken with them, and gotten tunes from C&L, but I'm going to have to wait for Diablo to put out a new revision to the U7140 code that supports the CAL-ID I've got. Hopefully that won't be too long.

I just realized I hadn't mentioned the new tires, either. I upgraded to G-Force KDW NT's in 255/45/18 all the way around. They look great, and handle pretty nicely too. I haven't pushed it too hard yet, still looking for good roads near Las Vegas to push it on. I'll try to get pics of the new mods this weekend, and post them on here.

Until the next mod ... Later!
Old 8/12/06, 06:08 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I just realized I hadn't mentioned the new tires, either. I upgraded to G-Force KDW NT's in 255/45/18 all the way around. They look great, and handle pretty nicely too. I haven't pushed it too hard yet, still looking for good roads near Las Vegas to push it on. I'll try to get pics of the new mods this weekend, and post them on here.

Until the next mod ... Later![/quote]

Try up near "Valley of Fire" some fun roads up there and a trip back to Mead.
Old 8/28/06, 10:39 AM

Nice looking car. I have an 05, and I really wish they had the heated seats option at the time. Quick question...where did you get the GT power outlet cover?
Old 8/28/06, 01:00 PM

That's an MGW piece, same as the shift ****. I got them both last year for the '05, in satin. They also had them in polished finish, and with the pony in the center instead of GT. Same for the shifter, you could get pony, GT, or the shift pattern like I got.
Old 8/30/06, 10:48 PM
Team Mustang Source

The mods are looking good. I just put my first mod on my Vista Blue.. a rear blackout panel, not SHR... GTS I think.

I like that you displayed the difference in the shifter. I am seriously looking at the hurst shifter too.

The MRT hood struts, easy or difficult ? Was there any drilling or other modifications to the hood to do and were the instructions pretty straight forward ??

Can't wait to see the rest of the mods
Old 9/15/06, 11:58 AM

Habu, sorry it's been a while, I was on vacation for 10 days, away from the computer completeley. It was nice!

Anyway, the MRT install is very straight forward. You undo a bolt at the top of the fender to put the bottom bracket on there, then undo one bolt on the hood and loosen the other one. Apparently there's no problem with the hood becoming mis-aligned, and mine lined up fine when I was done. I did one side at a time, by myself, maybe a 10 minute job. Someday I want to go back and take the brackets out so I can paint them to match the car, but I haven't even ordered the paint yet.

Looking into getting the CDC ducktail spoiler now, finally. I've always been against the emblem for my car, but of course, today, I'm starting to wonder if I should put it on. I'll definitely be doing the high-mounted brake light with it, and am still unsure if I want them to drill the holes for mounting the spoiler pieces, or if I just want them to go with the tape only. I always figured if I went tape only I could take the spoiler off later on when I got tired of it. Now I'm thinking I probably won't get tired of it, and should just make it a permanent attachment.

I saw a black car last week in San Francisco (parked at the Marina park, across from Alcatraz, if it was anyone on here, thursday mid-day, I think) with the CDC spoiler on it, and it looked great! I really want to get that done.

I'm finally going to get the windows tinted next week too, and will install the felt this weekend myself. I'm doing a full detail on it, clay bar and all, to get ready for the MCA show in Las Vegas the end of the month. Plus, it just needs it anyway.
Old 9/15/06, 01:36 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Looks great! Like you, within 24 hrs of delivery I had a CAI, wheels, and Flows on...lol
Old 9/19/06, 03:10 PM

Still waiting on the new revision from DiabloSport, they keep saying 1.5 to 2 weeks out. Hmm, anyone want to buy a Predator?

Put a coat of Z5 (Zaino Bros) on the car on Sunday, and put Moleskin in the doors last night. Getting the windows tinted tomorrow. I've got a can of aerosol paint so I can paint my MRT hood strut brackets to match the car, too. Might do the strut tower brace too, we'll see how ambitious I get.

the MCA show is in 10 days, I want to get ready for that. Trying to clean everything up that I can, put a coat of polish on the whole car, and keep it clean and spotless. And I'm driving it every day. Hmm.

But it's all good, I love driving and working on this car!
Old 9/19/06, 04:30 PM
Team Mustang Source

No worries about the delay I completely understand.
When you get it tinted show us some pics. Good to know about the moleskin. I'm still trying to find a good shop here in So Cal/OC. I think TacoBill posted a thread about a shop that he highly recommended.

Are you using the TFX ?? I wonder if anyone has performed any kind of comparison with and without to see if there is any difference at all ?? So far all of the Zaino products are great except the plastic/interior kind (forgot what it was called). Maybe it was me but it didn't work too well on the plastic on the doors so I went with the Mequiars NXT or whatever it's called. I like the CDC ducktail but am really hesitant to re-wire another 3rd brake light. So for me I prefer the SSE Gen I version. But like the tint... PICS !!!! Also if you don't mind do you have a ballpark as to what it's costing you to have it painted ??

My next mod is the UPR shorty antenna which will go on tonight and then next up is the eibach springs in the next week or two.
Old 10/4/06, 08:49 PM

I got the brackets and plenum cover painted, and the windows tinted. On the strut tower brace, I only did the ends, where they sit on the strut towers, and left the center aluminum. Here are a couple of pics.

I didn't take any pics of the tint yet, but will try to remember that this weekend. I only went with the medium grade, but got the good ceramic stuff.

As for the cost to paint the CDC spoiler, the dealership charges $600 to buy the spoiler (they say they always order it unpainted) paint it to match, and install it on the car. I still don't have it, but supposedly the GM of the dealership has said they'll give me a decent discount on the spoiler since I've had to wait so long for the spoiler-less trunk lid. And I will be taking pics of that.

There is one pic here of the stock plug-coil connectors (black, and the spring in front of it) and the GMS replacement pieces. I don't have any idea if they made a difference, but put them on anyway. VegasJay has them on his car too, along with a Saleen blower and other nice bits, and he's putting down 515rwhp as of his last dyno, so I don't think they're hurting.

In other news, I was approached at the MCA/MCLV car show this weekend to have some aftermarket parts put on the car (free) if I let it be used in a booth at SEMA this year. They're talking about a hood, some billet stuff (probably grill, maybe other exterior parts) and they mentioned Flowmaster exhaust. I already have the Flowmaster exhaust, but hey, if it's free ...

I dont' know what booth yet, or even what the hood and other parts look like, but it'll all be easy install, easy remove, since they won't get the car until the last minute. Now I've got to get the bike running smooth so I have transportation during that week. Oh, and I get a pass for the show, too, to go see my car and everything else there is to see. Good thing I have a couple days vacation left.
Attached Thumbnails Mod an '07 GT with me-cvr_stripes.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-eng_frt.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-gms_filter.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-gms_intake.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-mrt_brackets.jpg  

Mod an '07 GT with me-plug_connectors.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-stb_end.jpg   Mod an '07 GT with me-stb_side.jpg  
Old 10/4/06, 09:43 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Congrats Jay! Long time coming right? Must feel good to be in a Mustang again

Nice job on the installs and I see you finally got the trunk organizer in. Congrats on the free stuff too!
Old 10/4/06, 10:03 PM

Thanks. Yeah, I am using sticky putty to hold the threaded inserts on the car, and so far it seems to work great. I can hardly wait to see what all they put on the car for SEMA.

Quick Reply: Mod an '07 GT with me