Clean freak + black 05 = bad

Search this Thread

Old 11/8/04, 04:08 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That still looks great! Nice ride!
Old 11/8/04, 04:17 PM

Yes. And this is maybe out of topic. But the black on the hood of a 69 is still factory,
Old 11/8/04, 04:41 PM
Bullitt Member

darn you have some sweet Tangs! Which one do you like better?
Old 11/8/04, 04:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by drizztbob@November 8, 2004, 4:43 PM
So would you recommend the $85 car kit that zaino offers on it's site? Is it worth the money?
I wouldn't think so - Z2 and Z5 are redundant (both polishes). Pick the one that you need. Plus, who needs the decal?

I'd suggest that you get a Z7 wash, either a Z2 or Z5 polish (Z2 for lighter colors, Z5 for dark, because of the fine swirls), a Z18 clay bar, a Z6 spray (also can be used as a lubricant for the clay bar). You'll get one applicator free.

That's closer to $50 or $55.
Old 11/8/04, 05:11 PM
Bullitt Member

Great thanks for the tips!
Old 11/8/04, 05:18 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by drizztbob@November 8, 2004, 5:43 PM
So would you recommend the $85 car kit that zaino offers on it's site? Is it worth the money?
I don't intend to walk on anyone's toes in saying this, but from my personal experience with $100 in Zaino products, I wasn't impressed. JMO.
Old 11/8/04, 05:54 PM
Bullitt Member

Just curious, what was it that did not impress you? Application? Shine? What would you recommend that you like instead?
Old 11/8/04, 06:27 PM
GT Member

Has anyone tried Formula 113 ? I just got some I'm going to try on my black ranger. I'm told it's good and easy, I don't know yet. If anyone has used it please comment. Thank, Troy
Old 11/8/04, 08:01 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally posted by Highlander@November 8, 2004, 7:57 PM
Just curious, what was it that did not impress you? Application? Shine? What would you recommend that you like instead?
Highlander,

As I mentioned earlier, I got the full Zaino line; all of these products were applied to a black Jaguar XJ. I did 2 coats of Z2 (polish) and 2 of Z5 (swirl remover). The shine was decent with the Z2, although not the finish I was lead to believe by Zaino's SVTPerformance.com cheerleaders. As with the Z2, the Z5 worked pretty well, filling in most the swirls. After a few washes, however, the swirls were back--at least as bad as they were previously. 3 months later, and the car looked as it did pre-Zaino; this was a far cry from the super durability Zaino claimed polymer polishes had. So, to sum it up--the product was OK, but def. not worth the premium or the time it took to put on 4 coats. I recently re-did the same vehicle with Eagle 1 Nanowax (10 bucks for a bottle w/ microfiber towel + applicator) and got the same results in 1 coat. The Nanowax worked great, esp. if you have a dark, swirled vehicle. I'm going to try Meguiars next time around.

A few other Zaino issues:

Poor customer service: On my $100 plus order, $30 worth of merchandise was forgotten. I called Zaino and let them know about the error and they required me to "double-check" the box for the missing products. I told them I'd already triple-checked it. They told me to check again. Mind you, the box's volume couldn't have been more than 1 cu. ft.! Long story short, I had to raise some heck before they sent out the missing products.

The ZFX BS: I also found it a bit suspicous that in order for one coat of polish to "cure" in less than 12 hours, ZFX was necessary. If you're unfamiliar, ZFX is
a product added to the polish that supposedly "accelerates" the drying time to ~30 mins. For $20 you get a mL or 2 (100 drops), supposedly enough for 16 oz. of polish (I used about 6 oz. of Z2 and Z5 total in the above example). Why is it that other polish makers can make a product that drys quickly w/o the need for this ZFX devilry? Additionally, there's no way it costs them anywere near $20 to make a single mL of product; even if the retail was $10, I'd bet they'd still cut a hefty profit. I think they've found a clever way to milk more money out of their customers.

Again, this is all JMO. I just hate to see people running to these botique polish makers when stuff at Pep Boys will perform similarly, and for a lot less cash. Highlander, any other ?'s just PM me! Good luck.
Old 11/8/04, 08:27 PM
Bullitt Member

Thanks. No more questions...I here ya. I'ved used Turtle wax and then a more expensive brand Zymol and I think the turtle wax held up well against the Zymol.

Yes, I'd have to agree on the customer service. They don't seem to professional and they try to make you look like the bad guy when it's their fault.

The ZFX sounds like snake oil to me. A little extra $ for them.
Old 11/8/04, 09:48 PM
Bullitt Member

So thats a no go on Zaino and a yes on turtle wax?
Old 11/8/04, 09:58 PM
Bullitt Member

drizztbob - You'll need to make your own decision on this. For every positive comment, you'll hear a negative one. 68notch had a bad experience, which is a bummer. I've dealt with Sal Zaino a few times, and haven't had a problem. I've been using Zaino stuff on black vehicles for at least 6 years, and it holds up well, even in the Houston heat. Find the one that works best for you.

68notch -just curious, did you prep the paint with a clay bar treatment? I've found it to be a huge difference over just expecting a high-alkaline soap to strip down whatever build-up might be on the clear coat.
Old 11/9/04, 05:15 AM
V6 Member

Originally posted by Madhouse+November 8, 2004, 5:45 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Madhouse @ November 8, 2004, 5:45 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-drizztbob@November 8, 2004, 4:43 PM
I wouldn't think so - Z2 and Z5 are redundant (both polishes). Pick the one that you need. Plus, who needs the decal?

I'd suggest that you get a Z7 wash, either a Z2 or Z5 polish (Z2 for lighter colors, Z5 for dark, because of the fine swirls), a Z18 clay bar, a Z6 spray (also can be used as a lubricant for the clay bar). You'll get one applicator free.

That's closer to $50 or $55. [/b][/quote]
This is how I order it. I don't use the ZFX. I basically just use the Z5, the wash and the spray detailer. Just curious 68notch if you used the Zaino car wash (IT MAKES A HUGE difference). If you use other washes it can actually strip the Zaino off (revealing all those swirls again)...Zaino is not magic, it doesn't make the swirls vanish. It does however hide them very effectively!!! I have had coworkers come up to me and ask "where did your swirl marks go??" I told them I just Zainoed my car (it hadn't been done for many months as I had shoulder surgery earlier this year.....) He couldn't believe the difference! He has an 04GT, so he was always checking out my 02GT. Not everyone likes every product, but for me, having used umpteen products over my years, Zaino is what works best for me. I spend maybe $50/year on Zaino products for my car (I DO LOVE THE LEATHER CONDITIONER AS WELL), and it is well worth that. At least thats my .02...
Good luck with whatever choice you make....
Old 11/9/04, 07:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Madhouse,

Yes, I did the Dawn wash and then clayed the whole vehicle per the enclosed instructions.

Qrazy,

Yes, I used the Zaino brand car wash liquid. Actually, its the only Zaino product I continue to use--it suds up well and smells nice.

drizztbob,

You def. have heard a whole range of opinions in this thread, all excellent. You've got all you need to make a decision. Good luck with whatever you choose!
Old 11/9/04, 07:49 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Black Cars are a definite Love/Hate Relationship! I love to see a Clean, Shiny, Black Car, but I hate putting all of the time and effort into cleaning and Polishing a Black car, only to go inside for a drink and to come back to find it Dirty and Dusty already, not 10 minutes later.

I live in Tampa, Florida, and had a Black 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe with Red Leather, It was a Sweet Combination, but a P-A-I-N In the Butt to Keep Clean. Not to mention H-O-T as H-E-L-L Inside. the Leather in my Turbo Coupe was in no where near as good of conditin as my best friends 88 White Turbo Coupe, also with Red Leather, due to the Extreme Heat generated by my Black Exterior.

My Whole Family had Black cars at one point, and my Mom and Brother still do, She still has her 92 Lincoln Mark VII LSC/SE and He's got a 63 Studebaker Avanti R3, a 64 Studebaker Gran Turismo Hawk, and a 93 Ford F150 Lightning. My Brother will never get rid of his cars, but my Mom is going to get an 05 GT, and she's going to get Windveil Blue, because she Hates how Dirty Her Lincoln gets so quickly.

My 97 T-Bird is Moonlight Blue, Very Close to Sonic Blue, and I am Seriously debating if I want Sonic on my 05, because my Blue Bird is almost as bad as Black to keep clean. I'm also contemplating Windveil, or maybe Mineral Grey, as they won't show dirt as badly.

So for me........
NO MORE BLACK CARS!
Old 11/9/04, 07:51 AM
Mach 1 Member

Should I take some pictures of my mustang after one day of rain?
Old 11/9/04, 09:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

My 05 GT is black and I am washing it at least three times a week. But when it's clean, it's clean! I have owned two red GT's and two yellow GT's, none of them compare to black, but I agree, it's a lot of work.
Old 11/9/04, 10:18 AM
Cobra Member

use the Mr Clean spary thingy.. my friend has it and between waxes it REALLY helps clean the car quick and it leaves 0 water spots
for 20 bucks its friggin amazing
Old 11/9/04, 11:46 AM

Drizztbob,

For thumbs up everywhere you have to drive the 69 Mach 1. 7 liter V8 with lots of torque and brute sound. For real driving the 97 Cobra. With the 4.10, Tri-ax and the Magnapacks it is fast and the sound is great.

BTW, I use Mequiars for both cars. My choice. I never see Zaino or Mothers over here in Europe.
Old 11/9/04, 03:34 PM

Cool

My husband drives a black Ranger. I love black. I don't think there is anything sharper than a black truck or sporty type car like a Mustang. Anyway, a good wax job twice a year is always the best, but in between when you wash and find yourself stuck with endless water spots after all of your hard work, try "McGuires (spelling???) Quick Detailer." NO, I have no interest or stock in the company. LOL My husband who worked in auto parts for years and now builds the Mustang swears by the stuff. Good Luck!! Heads turn when a shiny, black vehicle drives by!!

Quick Reply: Clean freak + black 05 = bad