Ford OEM Parts {Oem Ford Parts Information & Links} Get Ford Parts from Forum Member 05stangkc {Ebay Sales Link}

TIGHT POSI

Search this Thread

Old 12/19/04, 08:17 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,735 Likes on 2,025 Posts
If you Notice that as you turn a corner in your 2005 Gt that it feels like the Posi is not releasing BE AWARE! There is a TSB on This Concern! But what you Should Know is That the Replacing Posi Unit Has Far Less Material on the Clutch Plates! So Before you Complain To your Servicing Ford Dealer About This and End Up with a Less Effective Posi Unit! :nono: Try Adding an Additional Bottle of Hypoid Additive to Your Rear Axle!
Old 12/19/04, 09:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I did this to my car on purpose, the frictions and steels alternate.

Just do a few figure 8's, it might help.
Old 1/8/05, 06:49 PM

I am going to live with the Tight Positraction! I don't want the Less effective TSB {technical service bulletin} Unit installed in my rig!
Old 1/8/05, 08:12 PM
Bullitt Member

I had a similar situation with another ford vehicle (ranger pickup) with the rear binding up in turns. The dealer added the hypoid additive to the rear and it took almost 100 miles before it completly worked. But after that everything was ok. Im sure if you were to add the additive and give the rear a real good workout you could shorten the wait.
Old 1/8/05, 10:07 PM
Banned

hard figure 8's worked w/ mine...was having the same problem
Old 1/19/05, 08:09 PM

Originally posted by 2005MustangGT@January 8, 2005, 11:10 PM
hard figure 8's worked w/ mine...was having the same problem
It has helped thanks!

KC
Old 2/12/05, 07:47 PM

I finally had the additive put in it did the trick!

kc
Old 2/12/05, 11:42 PM
V6 Member

Sorry if this is a stupid question, but can you explain what the problem is?
Is this the same thing as the wheel hop others are complaining about or something different?

Thanks
Old 2/13/05, 09:37 AM
Mach 1 Member

How's that saying go? "There is no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid people." Seriously though, it's stupid people who don't ask.

The tight differential problem is different than the wheel hop. When you turn a corner, the outside tire has to turn faster than the inside one. That is the reason for the diff. When the diff is a limited slip, the diff tries to turn both wheels at the same speed so that you have better traction on a loose, slippery surface. If the diff. won't slip enough however, the tires try to turn at the same speed in a sharp corner, and one of them starts to slide or skip.

Wheel hop occurs on hard acceleration, and is cause by too much "give" in the suspension. The tires slip, grip, slip, grip, etc.
Old 2/13/05, 11:05 AM
V6 Member

Sonic - thanks for the diff lesson, it'll help some - but to the original question, what are the symptoms of the problem people are seeing? What is this fluid that is being added? Should it be added proactively no matter what? How would one know if it's an issue?

Sorry, this car has so many noises I'd likely miss an issue such as this.

Many thanks!
Old 2/13/05, 12:29 PM

Originally posted by Sonic05@February 13, 2005, 8:40 AM
How's that saying go? "There is no such thing as stupid questions, only stupid people." Seriously though, it's stupid people who don't ask.

The tight differential problem is different than the wheel hop. When you turn a corner, the outside tire has to turn faster than the inside one. That is the reason for the diff. When the diff is a limited slip, the diff tries to turn both wheels at the same speed so that you have better traction on a loose, slippery surface. If the diff. won't slip enough however, the tires try to turn at the same speed in a sharp corner, and one of them starts to slide or skip.

Wheel hop occurs on hard acceleration, and is cause by too much "give" in the suspension. The tires slip, grip, slip, grip, etc.
EXCELLENT!
KC
Old 2/13/05, 12:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hehe, I got so rapped-up in giving a differential lesson (that probably wasn't needed) that I forgot the original question!

The additive is a synthetic friction modifier. They used to use whale oil I believe, but of course that's a :nono: now. It still smells just as bad though. The purpose of it is to make the clutch disks slide against each other more smoothly, not grip, then slip, then grip again.

If you are not experiencing any problems, then extra additive is not necessary. If you just wanted to put it in, I can't see it being a problem, other than maybe a very slight decrease in traction.

As for symptoms, the car may jerk, hop, buck, squirm, or the tires may "bark" a little. I guess it depends on the degree of the problem. If you have ever driven a 4x4 truck -- in 4-wheel drive obviously -- and tried to turn a sharp corner on dry pavement, it has a similar feel. I'm sure the guys who have experienced it in the Mustang can elaborate.

Peet, you said you have a lot of other noises? That's no good. :notnice:
Old 2/13/05, 12:57 PM

We always refer to it as the stuff that smells like a dead dinosaur!

kc
Old 2/14/05, 07:34 AM
V6 Member

Can you buy this oil at the dealership, if yes than what do i ask for.
Old 2/14/05, 08:14 AM
Cobra Member

Yes, just ask for the limited slip additive in the parts department. They will know what you're talking about.
Old 2/14/05, 01:12 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I truly hope Ford does not try and correct the problem on the assy line by putting in the lighter unit, my car is on order, anybody have a clue?
Old 2/14/05, 01:53 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm all for that davids2toys! The units WILL loosen up with age anyway. I would much rather start out a bit too tight and work their way into "just right" instead of starting out "just right" and working their way towards "open diff"!
Old 2/14/05, 01:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
exactly...I would think they would be, seeing as there is already a TSB on this item????
Old 2/14/05, 02:32 PM
V6 Member

Thanks sonic!

Yea my noises are just all over the place. My worst one is a drive train noise that sounds like a loose u joint. Basically if I do a sloppy shift where I get off the clutch first, then apply gas, I hear a clunk. I've driven stick now for about 19 years and never had that problem. took it into the dealer today, they say all normal. URRGH.

So I'll watch it. Right now there is no easy way to tell if the noise is front (tranny) middle (shaft) or rear. It's just under the car. Not too loud, but you know, once you hear it one time - it's always there.

Anyone with a stick - give that a try and let me know if you hear it. Accel, clutch in, shift gear, clutch out, pause, gas. clunk or no clunk?
Old 2/14/05, 02:43 PM

Originally posted by davids2toys@February 14, 2005, 12:15 PM
I truly hope Ford does not try and correct the problem on the assy line by putting in the lighter unit, my car is on order, anybody have a clue?
The lighter unit is only installed at the Dealership if a complaint is lodged! I posted this so people would not complain without realizing the consequences!

kc

Quick Reply: TIGHT POSI