Ford OEM Parts {Oem Ford Parts Information & Links} Get Ford Parts from Forum Member 05stangkc {Ebay Sales Link}

K&N Filter Service Interval Too Long for MY Gt-500

Search this Thread

Old 10/26/09, 09:26 AM
Administrator, Shop Manual PDF Poster, Parts Locator & Spam Bot Eliminator!!

Received 2,542 Likes on 1,876 Posts
K&N Filter Service Interval Too Long for MY Gt-500

http://www.knfilters.com/news/news.aspx?ID=19

As Per K&N Filters the Service Intervals in my case are way TOO Long In my opinion.

I have a 2007 GT-500 with C&L Intake and a BAMA CHIPS tune. This Weekend I did an Oil change and Thought I might as well clean the Air Filter. It was Early as far as The K&N Guidelines were concerned but I thought what the heck. I Have approx 15k on the filter. All highway driving and no off road as it were. I had noticed my car felt like tune had gone away. I just figured I was just used to the car as I commute in it 60 miles a day. When I first Installed the Tune the Difference was dramatic. My cold air & tune on a 500 Is Good for at Least 60hp. It seemed to have gone away. It used to Have a Noticable Blower Whine on accelleration as well which had diminished.

After the Oil Change & Filter Service I took er out for a spin and Immediatly noticed the The Blower Whine was Back and Traction was low. It felt like Right after the tune again and Like I was driving a Different car.

Anyway Just wanted to give all a Heads up on keeping your car at Top performance when using a K&N.

Enjoy,

KC

Last edited by 05stangkc; 10/26/09 at 09:27 AM.
Old 10/30/09, 08:30 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I HAD a K&N on my custom Thunderbird, and I had the same problem (did it about every 15k too). Finally decided that I had enough of the cleaning/oiling process. After about 50,000 miles with a K&N, the oil vapors and everything made their way to the MAF wires too. Car ran like crap for quite a while till I cleaned them with some rubbing alcohol and a Qtip. (BE VERY CAREFUL!!!) Might be another thing to check for some of those with problems. Good tip KC!
Old 10/30/09, 08:50 AM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah I as well have noticed how dirty the oil impregnated filters get. I cleaned mine over the summer and then ordered a custom made Outerwearers pre-filter for the one on me C&L. We used them on all of the racecars and It's much easier to take off and rinse than having to wash and oil the filter.
Attached Thumbnails K&N Filter Service Interval Too Long for MY Gt-500-dscn0387.jpg