Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Return of the F-100?

Search this Thread

Old 3/15/13, 04:21 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 07S197
Have you looked?? You can still order a base F150 XL with a 5.0L, no options so to speak of. Of course without a manual trans, thou I think you would be impressed with what a modern auto is capable of.
Just casually.

The auto trucks I'm around seem to work ok when they are pulling heavy loads, but they have to give it so much pedal before it even starts to move. I can't imagine that torque converter holding up long term.
I know when I'm skidding logs I don't even try in 4X H, I slap it into Low, and my 1st is the old granny gear anyway, and baby we are moving immediately! That jerk helps to move and build momentum.
Whereas that auto is still trying to engage.
I just think any true heavy duty truck should have a manny available. Then again, not a China Getrag. lol
Old 3/15/13, 04:39 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have an auto and have 195k miles, no problems with my transmission, knock on wood!! I drive 2wd all time, and when I want have fun and get stuck I kick it into 4wh or 4wL. Just depends, but I have only gotten stuck once. Kinda bottomed out on the skid plates.
Fx4 are great trucks,
Old 3/15/13, 05:09 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

Just casually.

The auto trucks I'm around seem to work ok when they are pulling heavy loads, but they have to give it so much pedal before it even starts to move. I can't imagine that torque converter holding up long term.
I know when I'm skidding logs I don't even try in 4X H, I slap it into Low, and my 1st is the old granny gear anyway, and baby we are moving immediately! That jerk helps to move and build momentum.
Whereas that auto is still trying to engage.
I just think any true heavy duty truck should have a manny available. Then again, not a China Getrag. lol
Well I'm pretty sure you can still get a manual in a Super Duty
Old 3/15/13, 07:17 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 07S197
Well I'm pretty sure you can still get a manual in a Super Duty
Prob but there goes affordable and any hope of reasonable mileage.

Another prob with an auto is in deep snow. Sometimes you have to shift from forward to reverse instantly back and forth - literally using brief momentum from spring action - to get out of deeper snow when you're on the verge of high centering (packed snow 'lifting' the differentials) and getting stuck - incl in 4wd.

No way that works with an auto as there is always a momentary lag.

Ford needs to pull their head out of their asz and quit dictating. Apparently they've been living in the city too long to know what buyers need in a F150 sized truck.

So shareholders, you won't be getting any dough out of me for a new truck from the factory. I'll be buying used if at all.

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/15/13 at 07:18 PM.
Old 3/15/13, 08:42 PM
Swamp Donkey Man Cans

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by cdynaco

Prob but there goes affordable and any hope of reasonable mileage.

Another prob with an auto is in deep snow. Sometimes you have to shift from forward to reverse instantly back and forth - literally using brief momentum from spring action - to get out of deeper snow when you're on the verge of high centering (packed snow 'lifting' the differentials) and getting stuck - incl in 4wd.

No way that works with an auto as there is always a momentary lag.

Ford needs to pull their head out of their asz and quit dictating. Apparently they've been living in the city too long to know what buyers need in a F150 sized truck.

So shareholders, you won't be getting any dough out of me for a new truck from the factory. I'll be buying used if at all.
Well in the end it comes down to demand and for the most part all big 3 agree if ya don't buy them they ain't gonna build them.