Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Performance truck on the way?

Search this Thread

Old 4/14/06, 09:29 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Okay, so i actually tried posting this a couple days ago but the forum was all messed up...

I was just reading this little article on the GT-H on detnews:
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/artic...0437/1148/rss25

noticed this line from Mark Fields:
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE</div><div class='quotemain'>Ford Americas President Mark Fields said the program is part of an effort to ramp up Ford's performance offerings as part of its North American turnaround plan. Fields said Ford will have one performance pickup and one performance Mustang in its lineup at all times from now on and expects to sell between 5,000 and 10,000 of each annually. Ford's Special Vehicle Team developed the 2007 Shelby Cobra GT500, but it has been unclear in what direction the unit would head next.
"Performance vehicles make stronger brands," Fields said.[/b][/quote]

interesting to hear that so soon after canning the adrenaline. You'd have thought if this is the attitude he had all along that they wouldn't have axed something that was already kinda developed, or at least had a concept version running around.
Maybe they figure that a high pefromance F-150 will attract more sales... Like, as a halo car, it would increase F-150 sales more than the Adrenaline would affect Sport Track sales.
Old 4/16/06, 03:09 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

People still wants Lightning.
Old 4/21/06, 08:18 AM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The name "Lightning" has brand recognition and a very strong following. They would surely sell either the Adrenalin or an F-150 if they somehow weaved the word "Lightning" into the name.

And I totally agree with Red Star, people do still want the Lightning.
Old 4/21/06, 12:08 PM
Bullitt Member

There would not be one lightening left on the showroom floor if they had gone with the 2004 concept
Old 4/22/06, 12:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
give me the lightning! along with a mustang GT.
Old 4/22/06, 11:00 AM
Cam Tease

If Ford was forced to abandon S/E Mustangs, what makes you think they can afford a Lightning?
Old 4/23/06, 08:09 AM
Cobra R Member

dude, did you even read it!? Its bloody Mark Fields saying outright: "one performance mustang and one performance truck." This is coming from the guy who's job is basically... "save Ford!" Apparently he seems to think performance vehicles are a key to the "way forward". So ya, i dunno why you're doubting this...
Old 4/23/06, 08:58 AM
Cam Tease

Yeah youre right, company heads have never said things and gone back on them before...especially in the auto industry.

Plus, how stupid is that quote anyway.

"One performance mustang and one performance truck."

Just read that a few times. A car that is actually designed and known for being a performance bargain gets the same number of performance models as a full size truck?

Yeah...that makes sense.
Old 4/23/06, 01:16 PM
Cobra R Member

ya maybe you're right. just cause he's saying something now don't mean things won't change. But have they really abandoned SE mustangs? I mean, we've already got two, or three if you count the hertz thing. and didn't StangKC say we've got something on the way for 2008? I just don't think the SE situation with the mustang gives reason to doubt the lightning thing.
Old 4/23/06, 05:17 PM
Cam Tease

Yeah, chances are we will see a Lightning. I just get frustrated when I see Ford counting the fluff package GT/CS as an S/E, saying financial considerations preclude them from giving us anything of substance, then promising a performance truck variant (an idea I never "got" in the first place.)
Old 4/23/06, 08:58 PM
Cobra R Member

hahaha.... ya... i can't say i'm a fan of this market segment at all myself either, as the token tms hippie. If it weren't a ford, i'd probably be all too happy to see it fall apart, like i had a good time bashing the SRT10 while there was no lightning. Now i've got conflicting emotions... i want ford to do well, but i kinda wish they wouldn't go begging for criticism from environmental groups by building a truck like this.
I'd have been much happier if they kept more of a true performance brand for SVT... like you know how BMW doesn't wanna make an M7 cause nobody wants a performance car that big. So ya... i think SVT should make a mustang, a fusion and a focus, that'd be a pretty cool performance line up if you ask me.
But Mark Fields apparently doesn't see it that way, and he's the man at the wheel.
Old 4/29/06, 04:25 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This really is a dollars and cents issue. If you really consider how many people would ACTUALLY BUY an SVT Fusion and how many people actually bought the SVT Focus, I'm sure he's making the call that's going to get the best exposure with the most economical investment.

Sure we'd love to have a small performance oriented compact to deal with things like SRTs and Cobalt SS, but think about what 4 cylinder options we currently have and the performance enhancements necessary to make them perform on par or better than the competition. At the moment, the best option that way would be to shoe horn in a Duratech 35 and call it a day. But, there are so many products that really need the 35, not to mention the engineering needed to fit that engine into a Focus, I'm sure it's in no way an option for the current Focus platform.

On the Fusion side, I could see that more easily because of the NASCAR program. Once again, the 35 with some performance enhancements tweaking it up to about 285HP would be great. I'm sure that engine teamed to the 6 speed auto would be a heck of a lot of fun. Better still would be a reliable 5 or 6 speed manual, but I don't see that happening.

If Ford manages to get things turned around and headed back into deep black accounting wise, we may still see things like this. There was a time when an SVT Fusion was BIG in the rumor mill. I'm sure there are probably more than one project car lurking around the engineering skunk works. The problem is right now is that money is tight. Perhaps if things turn around, we'll see something emerge.
Old 4/29/06, 06:00 PM
GT Member

Hmmmmmm... Could the Adrenalin project be started again? According to this guy at fordgtforum.com he was allowed a private tour through the Mustang facility and he got to see upcoming Mustang projects such as the GT500 and GT/CS. Then he was directed into another room of other future production cars such as the Edge (I think anyways, he called it the SUV based on the Fusion? hmmm) and he said he saw a possible Adrenalin sighting. You can read his story here:http://www.fordgtforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1432

I'm not sure to take this this report as A) Bull-crap B ) Ford Engineers haven't taken the time to destroy the model C) Something else is in the works. What do you think?
Old 5/1/06, 11:46 AM
Cobra R Member

I think its B... if they abandon a project its not like all evidence of it is completely destroyed right away.