Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

new project car- 70 Torino

Search this Thread

Old 4/30/07, 07:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Your Torino looks to be in good shape for the vintage. I would say finish it up. Of course, like all domestics of the era, I do not know what rust might be hiding in certain places. . .
Old 6/3/07, 02:00 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Did some work on the engine this weekend, dodging raindrops... that thing has a huge hood/ rain awning..LOL.
Changed the antifreeze, that was a pain ... the pit **** is about 2" from the frame so when the liquid comes out, it splashed everywhere. Did a quick flush as the old was not that bad and still was green instead of brown like I expected.
Started the engine and let it run to get the thermostat open and get fresh everywhere. As it warmed up the rpm's started to climb. Hit the pedal and reved it to knock the choke down and out came a belch of black smoke. So I reved it a few more times until the exhaust came clean, about four or five revs.
Noticed that the temp gage was not working, so a new sending unit went in. Also no heat so played with the vaccume gauge under the hood where all the hoses come together. Moved it by hand. Now have heat and when placed to cool, it is cool... good. So far things working fine.
Also sucked out the old brake fluid and replaced it with new. Still need to bleed the lines. will do that with some help. Added a quart of tranny fluid.
Will get it in to get the safety inspection in the next week or so to get the plates... going to get the historic plates. Then will take it to the transmission shop for a fluid and filter change and let them check things out. I think the pan gasket is leaking so it will be fixed then.
More as time goes along.
As for rust. Mainly just behind the wheels, worst place is the lower area behind the front tires, below the chrome trim.
Old 6/3/07, 02:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by aremann2
That review mirror looks to be mounted a little low
yea, another thing on the list but not very high...
Old 6/16/07, 09:54 PM
Cobra R Member

Well, ive got it all leagel now Mirror fixed, and even took it to a local car cruse tonight. One thing I was not expecting... a few days ago the seat riped, I was bumed, upon closer inspection they are seat covers, the original fabric is still perfect underneath . Come to find out the first owner did not like the silk like fabric that was used because he would slide around too much, so he had a rougher cover put on... in those days most people did not wear seatbelts. When I have some time I will remove the covers to see what the factory ones look like.

Here are some shots from the cruse. The orange one is also a '70 Torino. 427 Cobra jet.
Attached Thumbnails new project car- 70 Torino-car-cruse-6-07-010.jpg   new project car- 70 Torino-car-cruse-6-07-011.jpg   new project car- 70 Torino-car-cruse-6-07-012.jpg  
Old 6/17/07, 05:48 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Your Torino is really looking good. Thanks for posting the pics. Good news about the seat covers. Hopefully, the orginals are nice preserved under those covers.
Old 6/17/07, 09:12 AM
Cobra R Member

from what I can see through the rip it is in great shape.
Old 6/17/07, 05:15 PM

Received 70 Likes on 66 Posts
Sounding good! Very nice looking car!!
Old 6/17/07, 07:12 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looks great.