Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

New Design Process Yields Lincoln Concept Wheels

Search this Thread

Old 1/3/06, 09:11 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Designer Rob Gelardi is a friend of The Mustang Source. I'll email him a link to this topic; perhaps he can answer your questions.

NEW DESIGN PROCESS RESULTS IN LUXURY AND PERFORMANCE WHEEL ON LINCOLN CONCEPT SEDAN
  • Lincoln designers use new design process to cut time out of wheel development.
  • The result is exquisite, five/five spoke design, speaking to luxury and performance.
DEARBORN, Mich., Dec. 26, 2005 – Blending the latest digital design technology and rapid prototyping with a method as simple as child's play, Lincoln designers developed an exquisite luxury wheel with high-performance attributes.

The substantial 20-inch wheel, with its five/five spoke configuration and multiple finishes, will turn heads whether the wheel is turning or not. Designers know because they decided on the ultimate design after attaching miniature models of their six favorites on a wall and spinning them to see which looked best in motion.

The wheels will be featured on a Lincoln teaser vehicle at the 2006 North American International Auto Show.

"When the wheels are spinning, the light literally dances from spoke to spoke," says Gordon Platto, chief designer. "There's an emotional connection with the moving wheel that the customer ultimately experiences. Now, we're adding that experience to our process."

The Process

This simple, hands-on exercise cut almost two weeks out of the design process, explains Robert Gelardi, a senior designer who created the wheel.

"To enhance and expedite our process, we rapid-prototyped six-inch scale models that were made overnight so we could look at the wheel with different combinations of finishes," says Gelardi. "By expediting the three-dimensional evaluation, we achieved the right wheel design for this sedan very early in the development process." [Rapid prototyping is the process of making a physical model of a part directly from 3-D CAD data.]

Once the final selection was made, designers used advanced design software called Bunkspeed to fine tune the wheel digitally. Bunkspeed allows designers to change vehicle features instantly, with the click of a mouse.

Traditionally, wheels have been designed on screen and evaluated from full-size, 2-D renderings glued to tires. After favorite rendering was selected, a full-size model wheel was then produced. Any changes to the wheel at this point required additional full-size models – a costly and time-consuming process. Because renderings cannot show precise proportions nor can they recreate the effect of light on the wheel, it's not uncommon to have to produce additional full-size models.

"Previously, we couldn't take into account the ‘spin' look during the selection process," says Xitij Mistry, exterior designer. "With the six-inch models, we now have a method that is more accurate and efficient."

The Result

The commanding 20-inch wheels represent the hallmark of American design, says Platto. "The trend in wheels is to make a statement. And these wheels do exactly that. They have a sense of importance, a presence, that you find on American vehicles," he says.

To maximize the perception of the wheels' size, Gelardi and Mistry used exposed lug nuts on the secondary spokes, allowing the major spokes to travel uninterrupted from edge to center.

"The sculpted shape of the spoke dives toward the center of the wheel, adding visual length," says Gelardi. "This makes the wheel appear deeper and the tire wider." says Gelardi.

The five/five spoke design marries luxury and performance in a bi-level arrangement. Five major spokes are positioned at the outer edge of the wheel and five secondary spokes, having a different shape, are placed farther back.

This portrays a sense of depth while accommodating multiple colors and finishes. With five/five spokes, customers have more opportunities to personalize their wheels, choosing polished or vapor-blasted alloy as well as a variety of colors that would match the vehicle's body.

Depending on the paint and polish treatment of the spokes, the wheels will appear to have five spokes, giving the car a sporty, performance attitude. Or they will appear to have 10 spokes, underlining the sedan's elegance and grace.

"Using different paints combined with different finishing processes gives you a very cost-effective way to achieve multiple appearances from one wheel," Gelardi says.

Says Platto: "At Lincoln, we're just as concerned with how a wheel looks when the vehicle is parked as when it is in motion. We want to make sure our wheel is beautiful in both cases, so we came up with an amazingly simple way to do that in the studio."

Gordon Platto, chief designer, with Lincoln concept wheel.

Lincoln designers Xitij Mistry(left) and Robert Gelardi discuss the shape of the wheel's spoke and embossed Lincoln logo.

Lincoln designer Aram Kasparian spins the 6" wheel model to evaluate the effect of light on the wheel's spoke.

Lincoln designers (left to right) Matt Pearson, Robert Gelardi and Xitij Mistry reviewing various wheel designs using Bunkspeed, a new software program allowing instant changes in features.

Lincoln designers (left to right) Xitij Mistry, Robert Gelardi, Gordon Platto and Aram Kasparian review the Lincoln concept wheel design.

Lincoln designers (left to right) Xitij Mistry, Robert Gelardi, Gordon Platto and Aram Kasparian review the Lincoln concept wheel design.

Lincoln concept wheel design being milled out of solid aluminum.

Lincoln sedan concept 5/5 spoke wheel.
Old 1/4/06, 01:13 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That is a cool final pic.

What a job. What do you do all day? I draw circles...
Old 1/4/06, 03:04 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
that's totally awesome....that last shot is sinister
Old 1/4/06, 03:08 PM
GT Member

That's the nicest OEM FordMOCO wheels I've ever seen. The process must work well.....Hope we see something like that on all Lincoln's in the future.
Old 1/4/06, 03:56 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Defintekly a very nice wheel.

It'd be fun to have one of the 6in mock-ups
Old 1/4/06, 08:47 PM

Thanks for the kudos guys. I am glad you like the wheel design.
Old 1/4/06, 08:52 PM
Team Mustang Source

I love the chrome, satin, chrome, satin look of the wheel!
Old 1/4/06, 09:37 PM

Thanks for the kudos guys. I am glad you like the wheel design. :D

What do I do all day? Well, it depends on what point we're at in the -----------------------------103182532229602
Content-Disposition: form-data; name="preview"

Preview Post
Old 1/4/06, 10:04 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Not sure what's going on with your posts Rob...
Old 1/4/06, 10:44 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Awesome.
Old 1/5/06, 04:54 AM

Sorry about the funky posts. Maybe it'll work this time. I can use a computer to design a car, but these forums are another matter j/k

I was trying to respond to the question about my job and what I do all day.

Basically, my job is to create the appearance, whether that be exterior shape, exterior details ( like wheels, lights, etc. ) or interior design ( instrument panel, doors, console, ) or interior details ( cluster, pedals, shifter ). It depends on what you're assigned to on that particular car. There are usually several designers assigned to exterior, and several more to interior. At this point in the process is where we're doing a lot of sketches and renderings to come up with a mouth watering design the customer won't be able to resist.

Once a theme ( design ) is selected by management, the designer who created it usually follows it through further development, to ensure the original design idea is maintained all while meeting any further manufacturing, cost, packaging, ergonomic, or timing issues that arise. At this point in the process, we're working more with our colleauges in engineering, ergonomics, finance, marketing, etc, to make certain the "mouth-watering" design we worked so hard to create is not compromised during the rest of the development.
Old 1/5/06, 08:34 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Very nice wheel design. Welcome to the site Rob
Old 1/5/06, 08:52 AM
Bullitt Member

Hey Rob we do that too!! We have just been using 3D for about 6 years to aid in our wheel designs. How new is this “Bunkspeed†software? That looks like something I need to look into!!
Old 1/5/06, 09:30 AM
Cobra R Member

i dunno what happened, i coulda sworn i posted in this thread at like noon yesterday or something... coulda forgot to click add reply or something.

I love that wheel, its really sweet. It'd be interesting to see it with the back spokes painted black. LIke a cool five spoke wheel you'd find on a mustang or something, but with something faint in the back ground, giving it a fancy high tech look.

I really like the "LINCOLN" on that one spoke. You guys definitely chose the right spoke to write that one with respect to the emblem in the middle. Minor detail I know, but I just like that angle.
Old 1/5/06, 09:47 AM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Rob great work on those wheels!
Hope you can share more of your work with us.
Oh and welcome to the board mate!
Old 1/6/06, 12:16 PM
GTR Member

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Great looking wheel design and welcome to the site.
Very nice blending of a 5 spoke design into a new "10" spoke image.
Old 1/6/06, 02:04 PM
Cobra Member

Originally posted by mustang_sallad@January 5, 2006, 11:33 AM
I love that wheel, its really sweet. It'd be interesting to see it with the back spokes painted black. LIke a cool five spoke wheel you'd find on a mustang or something, but with something faint in the back ground, giving it a fancy high tech look.
Thought that might be interesting too:

[attachmentid=42294]

With black chrome inner spokes I think it would look even better.

If you look at the fifth and sixth pictures above, it looks like the secondary spokes were darker at first.
Old 1/6/06, 02:14 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Cool very cool...

Very cool and inovative look to those rims...

and a lincoln with cross drilled rotors...that'll be the day.
Old 1/7/06, 05:12 PM

Good catch. Yes the original design on the six-inch scale models looked at very dark ( graphite ) secondary spokes all the way up to very light ( silver ) secondary spokes.

Since we couldn't show multiple versions at the same time on one concept, our chief designer decided it would be best to show the secondary spokes in a slightly duller azcast finish. This lets you see what can be done with the wheel- go a little darker, and you get a five spoke wheel. Go a little lighter, and you get a 10 spoker. The one on the concept is exactly in between, "just right".

Originally posted by HastaLaVista@January 6, 2006, 3:07 PM
Thought that might be interesting too:

[attachmentid=42294]

With black chrome inner spokes I think it would look even better.

If you look at the fifth and sixth pictures above, it looks like the secondary spokes were darker at first.
Old 1/12/06, 08:11 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
them i like! wonderful design

heck if they dont produce the concept car, at least make the wheels

i havent seen nething like that