Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

More Bad News For Ford

Search this Thread

Old 8/2/06, 07:19 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If it gets too dire, the govt. will bail ford Out, Ford will Declare Bankruptcy, start on a fresh leaf, and, if they're smart, be UBER careful
Old 8/2/06, 08:02 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Evil_Capri
Figured your cyrstal ball could answer that one. . . .
No crystal ball here, just a good grasp of Economics and Public Relations 101.
Old 8/2/06, 08:09 PM
Closet American

What chassis/engine combo do you propose for this new LTD? Would you have an AWD drive option?

So Ford’s lineup would include the Fusion/Mondeo/Euro Focus/Five Hundred and Reflex along with your proposed LTD.
Well, what sort of chassis did they use for the 427 concept? Or was it a one-off? I think a "modern LTD" based off the 427 concept ought to be competing in the same marketplace as the 300C, so I don't think I'd offer an AWD platform. But it would definitely be RWD. I think the Mondeo variants could provide enough other options to suit those who want a AWD/Euro/Japan-style compact sedan.

I would kill the 500. While not a bad car, it isn't selling in enough numbers to warrant its existence, because it is completely nondescript to look at.

Ford can't play a game of "catch-up" or "also-ran" anymore. Their vehicles have to be BETTER than the competition to have any hope of reclaiming market share. If new Ford products are "almost as good," but just as boring to look at, Honda and Toyota buyers have no reason to switch.
Old 8/3/06, 05:42 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Originally Posted by BC_Shelby
No crystal ball here, just a good grasp of Economics and Public Relations 101.
Then perhaps a look into time managment as it relates to commercial flights may be in order. In fact I've seen many a company save a little with corporate jets as opposed to commercial flights. Kroger (grocery store here in the states) is one company that saves a little by using coporate jets. Also know of a general contracting company that using corporate jets and saves money/time.

I'll let them know about your good grasp . . . .
Old 8/3/06, 06:03 AM
Post *****

Well, what sort of chassis did they use for the 427 concept? Or was it a one-off? I think a "modern LTD" based off the 427 concept ought to be competing in the same marketplace as the 300C, so I don't think I'd offer an AWD platform. But it would definitely be RWD. I think the Mondeo variants could provide enough other options to suit those who want a AWD/Euro/Japan-style compact sedan.

I would kill the 500. While not a bad car, it isn't selling in enough numbers to warrant its existence, because it is completely nondescript to look at.

Ford can't play a game of "catch-up" or "also-ran" anymore. Their vehicles have to be BETTER than the competition to have any hope of reclaiming market share. If new Ford products are "almost as good," but just as boring to look at, Honda and Toyota buyers have no reason to switch.
I thought the 427 was built on a CV/GM/TC chassis, but I'm not 100% sure. And I agree about the Five Hundred . . IF replaced with a 427 type vehicle. I've read (somewhere) about the viability of a 'car' based on the new Explorer chassis (with refinement).

I also agree with your "also-ran" statement. It does seem the Fusion trio is making some very nice progress in the marketplace. And while I liked my wife's Limited Five Hundred, I think her new Fusion 2.3/5-speed is a MUCH better car. To me the Fusion actually feels like a 'step up', as opposed to a step down.
Old 8/3/06, 09:46 AM
Team Mustang Source

Don't have the knowledge, background, expertise, etc to state what Ford should do but IMO whatever changes are to be made will have to be major and radical - concur with those who have stated a takeover, etc is unlikely due to the retiree costs. Guess it boils down to either Ford gets it together or take the bankruptcy route. An article in USA Today had two conflicting opinions on the family taking it private. One theory is that the family is not going to risk the x billions of their own money to do it.
Old 8/3/06, 01:35 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I think a 500 with the 3.5L V-6 and Fusion-level styling in+out will be a very good car. Not as exciting as the Big DCX cars, but a good fit for the "I want something more than a Camry, but don't like crossovers" crowd.

A 427 should be built on whatever platform Ford AUS is using for the new Falcon, be it stretched-D3 or whatever. A truck platform's a bad idea becuase all the Ford truck platforms are massively heavy right now, even the SUV platforms. I'm not sold on the LTD name, though, other than Men in Black few of the current generation really have a positive image of that name. I say give it more of a menacing name, market it as something Tony Soprano would drive.
Old 8/3/06, 04:09 PM
Closet American

Then perhaps a look into time managment as it relates to commercial flights may be in order.
Been there, done that. Worked for an enormous drug store chain way back in my early days that used a corporate jet to ferry execs around. Seemed like a great idea until they began talking about eliminating the employee's dental plans to pay for it. Turns out it costs HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS PER HOUR to maintain a flight crew - and that's not even getting into the costs of running the actual jet itself.

Keeping a private, corporate jet is VERY, VERY expensive. The only way it's cheaper than today's bargain commerical flights is if you have many employees being shuttled around all the time.

Then there's the issue of Fields wanting to live in sunny Florida and commute to Detroit for work. That's a public relations mistake for a company in as desperate shape as Ford, because it sends out the wrong message to the public. I'm sure I don't need to tell you why.

I'll let them know about your good grasp . . . .
I had no idea you were so well connected.
Old 8/3/06, 05:12 PM
Post *****

Been there, done that. Worked for an enormous drug store chain way back in my early days that used a corporate jet to ferry execs around. Seemed like a great idea until they began talking about eliminating the employee's dental plans to pay for it. Turns out it costs HUNDREDS OF DOLLARS PER HOUR to maintain a flight crew - and that's not even getting into the costs of running the actual jet itself.

Keeping a private, corporate jet is VERY, VERY expensive. The only way it's cheaper than today's bargain commerical flights is if you have many employees being shuttled around all the time.

Then there's the issue of Fields wanting to live in sunny Florida and commute to Detroit for work. That's a public relations mistake for a company in as desperate shape as Ford, because it sends out the wrong message to the public. I'm sure I don't need to tell you why.

I had no idea you were so well connected.
Just going from information I've been told by their general counsel (contractor) and flight mechanics (Kroger) because I've asked. I'm not saying it's the 'norm', but it can be accomplished.

And I don't care where Fields lives as long as he does his job. I didn't read his actual 'commute' schedule so I'm not privy to the amount of time he spends in Detroit/Florida and in the air.

And just for the record (because a conversation 'typed' can be misconstrued at times) I enjoy your posts and thought process. Makes for interesting discussions.
Old 8/3/06, 08:20 PM
Closet American

Just going from information I've been told by their general counsel (contractor) and flight mechanics (Kroger) because I've asked. I'm not saying it's the 'norm', but it can be accomplished.

And I don't care where Fields lives as long as he does his job. I didn't read his actual 'commute' schedule so I'm not privy to the amount of time he spends in Detroit/Florida and in the air.
Well, my thoughts are born from the "perception is everything" argument that floats around here from time to time - which I agree with...to a point.

And just for the record (because a conversation 'typed' can be misconstrued at times) I enjoy your posts and thought process. Makes for interesting discussions.
Thanks. Ditto.