Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford GT successor in the works?

Search this Thread

Old 1/17/11, 01:05 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jacostang
I think to close to the old Buick??? Electra 225...
Oh - right! I forgot.

Prob because back in the 70's in St. Louis it wasn't an electra, it was a "Deuce and a Quarter".
Old 1/17/11, 04:39 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Ha! Nice!
Old 1/18/11, 03:55 AM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang

You sure about that?
Yep, an attractive wrapper doesn't change how I feel about hybrid super cars even though the Porsche uses a pretty neat hybrid system with a flywheel to store energy (that saves alot fo weight over a battery pack).

I'd rather Ford spend the effort on trying to out do the Nissan GT-R in creating the most video game like experience on the planet instead of building a car than serves no other purpose than to placate people ashamed of the money they've made from poisoning the air and water.
Old 1/18/11, 07:40 AM
I'm people, and I like.

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
if hybrid tech is used, i think it's not to make people feel better about not polluting the world... it still will pollute i am sure... but to get it from point a to point b as fast as possible.
Old 1/18/11, 08:59 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bob
I'd rather Ford spend the effort on trying to out do the Nissan GT-R in creating the most video game like experience on the planet instead of building a car than serves no other purpose than to placate people ashamed of the money they've made from poisoning the air and water.
I have yet to meet a single non-car-enthusiast who is even aware of the Nissan GT-R. Ford building a monster TT V6 sports car is a waste of time, placating the magazine arm chair racers and forum arguers. A Ford hybrid supercar competing in prestigious European and American race series against the likes of Porsche would make headlines that average people would notice.
Old 1/18/11, 10:57 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
how about the "pluginasocketpoweredbycoal"
Old 1/18/11, 12:15 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Flagstang
how about the "pluginasocketpoweredbycoal"
Nothing hoping to compete with gas powered cars in a race that's more than a half hour long should have a plug, at least with current technology. Batteries (let alone flywheels) can't hold nearly as much energy as you can put in a gas tank. While that's okay for a car that's only going to work and back on a regular basis and where you appreciate the gas-free driving, it won't make for a competitive race car. The race car should use a lower energy (ie smaller) battery pack that'll supplement the engine's power and recapture braking energy, allowing fewer refuelling stops. If they make a street version that's for sale, that's where a plug-in version could fit in.

By the way, not only is a coal fired power plant generating electricity out of a domestic fossil fuel, it's also a lot more efficient at turning that fuel into energy than a gas engine, even when you take into account the losses in transferring that energy to a plug in car at your home. Not to mention that coal only accounts for 50% of the US power mix, and that number is only going to decrease in the coming years.
Old 1/18/11, 12:39 PM
GT Member

If it's gonna have hybrid tech in it, how about basing it on the GT90 concept instead of the GT40. This car still looks like it came from the future, even though it's, what, 15 or 17 years old.

Old 1/19/11, 12:13 PM
bob
Legacy TMS Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by mustang_sallad
I have yet to meet a single non-car-enthusiast who is even aware of the Nissan GT-R. Ford building a monster TT V6 sports car is a waste of time, placating the magazine arm chair racers and forum arguers. A Ford hybrid supercar competing in prestigious European and American race series against the likes of Porsche would make headlines that average people would notice.
Average people wont notice, nor will they care, if Ford wanted to build a supercar the general public would sit up and notice, it would either be suv or minivan that knocked down economy numbers like a prius and run like a Veyron.

As for noteriety due to a prestigous rac e, Audi has thier diesel racecars and again ask the average person if they knew that and you'll get a blank stare.

I stand by my remark that this is essentially a fad - hybrid supercars are the new coke of thier time.
Old 1/19/11, 12:32 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by 1chocophile
If it's gonna have hybrid tech in it, how about basing it on the GT90 concept instead of the GT40. This car still looks like it came from the future, even though it's, what, 15 or 17 years old.
There you go!
Old 1/19/11, 12:38 PM
Post *****

Originally Posted by mustang_sallad
By the way, not only is a coal fired power plant generating electricity out of a domestic fossil fuel, it's also a lot more efficient at turning that fuel into energy than a gas engine, even when you take into account the losses in transferring that energy to a plug in car at your home. Not to mention that coal only accounts for 50% of the US power mix, and that number is only going to decrease in the coming years.
If they figured out how to make coal oil a hundred+ years ago, why haven't they figured out how to refine it into a gasoline substitute? With the US' vast coal reserves they should be working double time on efficient conversion. (Or are they at special labs? )
Old 1/19/11, 06:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by bob
I stand by my remark that this is essentially a fad - hybrid supercars are the new coke of thier time.

Considering that Porsche nearly won the 24 hours Nurburgring race with the GT3 Hybrid on its first attempt at an endurance race, I'd say there's some serious performance potential to extract from this technology. If hybrid cars start winning all the races, I don't see why hybrid super cars would be far behind, especially given CAFE-style regulations. And I'm sorry, but regen braking, coupled with a big red "BOOST" button just appeals to my inner SNES playing child - watch the Porsche video I linked up above if you don't get it.
Old 1/20/11, 08:57 AM
GT Member

Regenerative braking is okay for city driving. But here's a technology could really revolutionize hybrid cars in general in highway driving circumstances, as well as hybrid sports cars and hybrid race cars.

On the Rebound: Scientists invent regenerative shocks

Think about how many times shocks absorb minor bumps from expansion joints, potholes, and the like? This tech could be a game changer, if it can be taken from the lab to the production line (and the race shop).
Old 1/20/11, 10:59 AM
FR500 Member

Originally Posted by cdynaco
If they figured out how to make coal oil a hundred+ years ago, why haven't they figured out how to refine it into a gasoline substitute? With the US' vast coal reserves they should be working double time on efficient conversion. (Or are they at special labs? )
IIRC, the technology has been around for awhile. In WWII, the Germans were already creating synthetic fuels using coal as the base product. Drawback? Very expensive.

Originally Posted by 1chocophile
Regenerative braking is okay for city driving. But here's a technology could really revolutionize hybrid cars in general in highway driving circumstances, as well as hybrid sports cars and hybrid race cars.

On the Rebound: Scientists invent regenerative shocks

Think about how many times shocks absorb minor bumps from expansion joints, potholes, and the like? This tech could be a game changer, if it can be taken from the lab to the production line (and the race shop).
If that pans out, hope it doesn't result in excuses for your area's bumpier, pot hole-filled roads - you know, "to help save more gas".
Old 2/3/11, 11:39 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nice mix n' match...
http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/news/au...as_hybrid.html

Last edited by Topnotch; 2/3/11 at 11:40 AM. Reason: topic
Old 2/3/11, 12:21 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Wow I really like that. I could totally be down on something like that.
Old 2/3/11, 01:10 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
wow! haha. i like the triple Exhaust. very interesting!
Old 2/3/11, 02:05 PM
MOTM Committee Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
the grille could use some refinements but I like that too. Very unique
Old 2/3/11, 02:20 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

I wouldn't get too excited about that pic, AE's legendary 'shoppers just mated a Ford GT and Shleby GR-1
Old 2/3/11, 02:28 PM
Bow Chica Bow Wow
TMS Staff

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
I wouldn't get too excited about that pic, AE's legendary 'shoppers just mated a Ford GT and Shleby GR-1
Thank you Captain Obvious
but it's a cool idea none the less

Quick Reply: Ford GT successor in the works?