The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   Ford Discussions (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/)
-   -   Ford GT successor in the works? (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f697/ford-gt-successor-works-490693/)

stangfoeva 1/13/11 02:10 PM

Ford GT successor in the works?

http://www.autoblog.com/2011/01/13/r...-in-the-cards/

More speculation. I hope they go through with it, even if its a hybrid. I love Ford supercars

bob 1/13/11 07:59 PM

If its a hybrid, Ford can go SUCK IT! Okay, just wanted to convey my feelings on the matter of a Ford GT successor that might possibly be a hybrid.

GT40 2 1/13/11 10:49 PM

I wouldnt expect Ford to make another supercar any time soon, if ever.

Moosetang 1/13/11 11:42 PM

Originally Posted by bob (Post 5997722)
If its a hybrid, Ford can go SUCK IT! Okay, just wanted to convey my feelings on the matter of a Ford GT successor that might possibly be a hybrid.

http://www.cardotcom.com/photos/cars...-918-rsr-h.jpg
You sure about that?

Knight 1/14/11 09:01 AM

That Porsche.. :drool:

Automagically 1/14/11 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Moosetang (Post 5997788)
You sure about that?

:nice:

MusicMan66 1/14/11 09:25 AM

Yep, and all-electric GT with motors at all four wheels would be a monster. Instant torque, baby! 0-60 in less than 2 seconds? Yes, please. :D

Blue Notch 1/14/11 12:07 PM

Please Ford, don't ruin the hailed name of the GT with some rotten hybrid. It could go from 0-100 in half a second, and I'd still look down on it. :shame:

cdynaco 1/14/11 01:03 PM

Originally Posted by MusicMan66 (Post 5997899)
Yep, and all-electric GT with motors at all four wheels would be a monster. Instant torque, baby! 0-60 in less than 2 seconds? Yes, please. :D

As long as it has a cammed V8 digital soundtrack wired in! :rofl2:

hi5.0 1/16/11 01:39 AM

Wouldn't mind if it were a modern take on a Shelby Daytona or the GR 1.

mustang_sallad 1/16/11 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Notch (Post 5997960)
Please Ford, don't ruin the hailed name of the GT with some rotten hybrid. It could go from 0-100 in half a second, and I'd still look down on it. :shame:

why?

Ford would be wasting it's time if they built a halo car that wasn't showing off their mastery of the future of automotive technology. I vote for Ford vs Porsche at LeMans with hybrids.

The Ford GT is my favourite car of all time, but while it's great for enthusiasts like us, it didn't do much to improve Ford's reputation. Ford needs to show it can build something truly amazing with the same technology that'll help normal people waste less energy in their daily lives.

mustang_sallad 1/16/11 02:14 PM

and frankly, the GT name is not "hailed", GT40 is, but GT is what they resorted to for legal reasons, and nobody hearing the word "GT" immediately thinks of Ford and only Ford. That said, I think they should give a hybrid supercar it's own name. Maybe "Lightning" would be good, clearly the Raptor shows SVT is taking trucks in a more appropriate off-road direction these days.

cdynaco 1/16/11 03:15 PM

The "Electra"

Blue Notch 1/16/11 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by mustang_sallad (Post 5998755)
why?

Ford would be wasting it's time if they built a halo car that wasn't showing off their mastery of the future of automotive technology. I vote for Ford vs Porsche at LeMans with hybrids.

The Ford GT is my favourite car of all time, but while it's great for enthusiasts like us, it didn't do much to improve Ford's reputation. Ford needs to show it can build something truly amazing with the same technology that'll help normal people waste less energy in their daily lives.

I hate hybrids and refuse to drive a "green" car. I'm sick to death of where the car industry is going. I understand this may be what they need to do to survive, but that doesn't change the fact that I detest electric/hybrid vehicles. When I think hybrid, the first car that comes to mind is the prius. I'd rather walk fifty miles in the cold and snow than be seen in such a pathetic thing. Nothing is going to change that.

Originally Posted by mustang_sallad (Post 5998756)
and frankly, the GT name is not "hailed", GT40 is, but GT is what they resorted to for legal reasons, and nobody hearing the word "GT" immediately thinks of Ford and only Ford. That said, I think they should give a hybrid supercar it's own name. Maybe "Lightning" would be good, clearly the Raptor shows SVT is taking trucks in a more appropriate off-road direction these days.

It is in my opinion for the fact that it is a tribute to the legendary GT40. Call the thing whatever you want, but it would be a disgrace to name it after such a legendary vehicle.

mustang_sallad 1/16/11 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Notch (Post 5998791)
I hate hybrids and refuse to drive a "green" car. I'm sick to death of where the car industry is going. I understand this may be what they need to do to survive, but that doesn't change the fact that I detest electric/hybrid vehicles. When I think hybrid, the first car that comes to mind is the prius. I'd rather walk fifty miles in the cold and snow than be seen in such a pathetic thing. Nothing is going to change that.

So the first hybrid to hit it big on the market wasn't badass, so that makes you think that the technology is fundamentally flawed and will never be applied to something cool? Talk about closed-minded, it's a good thing you weren't around when the Model-T came out, that thing was pretty **** slow, you'd probably still be riding horseback.
Just cause the Prius was lame doesn't make the Porsche GT3 Hybrid lame, if you ask me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWT-...eature=related
It **** near won the Nurburgring 24.

And this electric motorcycle just blew away a bunch of its competitors on gas bikes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIMQ0...layer_embedded

Personally, I think fast cars are cool, and it's not just because they have pistons moving back and forth inside.

Blue Notch 1/16/11 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by mustang_sallad (Post 5998795)
So the first hybrid to hit it big on the market wasn't badass, so that makes you think that the technology is fundamentally flawed and will never be applied to something cool? Talk about closed-minded, it's a good thing you weren't around when the Model-T came out, that thing was pretty **** slow, you'd probably still be riding horseback.
Just cause the Prius was lame doesn't make the Porsche GT3 Hybrid lame, if you ask me:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=esWT-...eature=related
It **** near won the Nurburgring 24.

And this electric motorcycle just blew away a bunch of its competitors on gas bikes:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RIMQ0...layer_embedded

Personally, I think fast cars are cool, and it's not just because they have pistons moving back and forth inside.

Not because it wasn't "badass". Because of all it stood for. The whole "green" campaign. The Model T had nothing to do with saving the environment. I love the sound and smell of gas engines. Something an electric engine will never be able to compare with.

mustang_sallad 1/16/11 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by Blue Notch (Post 5998803)
Not because it wasn't "badass". Because of all it stood for. The whole "green" campaign. The Model T had nothing to do with saving the environment.

lol, you literally sound like one of the villains in Captain Planet. You hate the Prius, not because it's boring, but because it stands for burning less fuel and putting out less air pollution. I understand those who hate it because it's the antithesis of driving excitement, but you sir have cartoonishly evil sounding motivations.

I'll agree about the smells and sounds though, well... maybe a little less on the smells!

Blue Notch 1/16/11 11:45 PM

So now I'm an evil cartoon character? That's a first. :doh:

Automagically 1/17/11 09:54 AM

When our four rings combine!!!

Sorry, I had to.

So even if my idea isn't too "green" or hybrid enough, that's OK. But build a GT sucessor or even a Cobra coupe/Daytona sucessor. Utilizing the Ecoboost V6. I am really getting high on this little engine. No, it doesn't sound like a V8, that sucks. It does however have a crap ton of reliable power. Build it better and it can be bullet proof. Ford is already doing the research to prove why they believe in the V6. I looked over the Ecoboost torture test and I am highly impressed. No, it's not a hybrid, but it's "greener" if anything, on paper than a similar system on the 5.0 or 5.4L engines. With the potential for a great deal of horsepower.

Porsche has a great technology, and for right now it's just bolted into a car as pretty much a prototype. When the tech is better implemented, it will be a great thing.

jacostang 1/17/11 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by cdynaco (Post 5998776)
The "Electra"

I think to close to the old Buick??? Electra 225...