Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Ford ever gonna replace the Ford GT???

Search this Thread

Old 11/19/07, 12:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ford ever gonna replace the Ford GT???

Hey just wondering what you guys think of Ford making a new halo supercar to compete with the Z06 and Viper? All reports I have read spoke of how profitible the Ford GT was and that the MSRP increased by several thousands of dollars every year of production while demend remained high. The GT project was cancelled after 2006 because the car did not meet new crash test ratings. Do you think that Ford should make a next gen Ford GT or perhaps a new gen T-Bird? I think if Ford builds a T-Bird to compete with the vette (actualy make it a performance car and not the chick-car the last gen was) then they can make an SVT version to keep up with the Viper and Z06??? Ford needs to inject some life into their lineup and a T-Bird, GT or a Mercury Cougar would fit the bill in my opinion. As much as I love the GT500, it can't compete against the Vette and Viper.
Old 11/19/07, 12:46 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Hey just wondering what you guys think of Ford making a new halo supercar to compete with the Z06 and Viper? All reports I have read spoke of how profitible the Ford GT was and that the MSRP increased by several thousands of dollars every year of production while demend remained high. The GT project was cancelled after 2006 because the car did not meet new crash test ratings. Do you think that Ford should make a next gen Ford GT or perhaps a new gen T-Bird? I think if Ford builds a T-Bird to compete with the vette (actualy make it a performance car and not the chick-car the last gen was) then they can make an SVT version to keep up with the Viper and Z06??? Ford needs to inject some life into their lineup and a T-Bird, GT or a Mercury Cougar would fit the bill in my opinion. As much as I love the GT500, it can't compete against the Vette and Viper.

Hey there,

Personally, I would LOVE to see Ford come out with something as a replacement to the GT (maybe the GR1)

Page
Old 11/19/07, 01:47 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Its quite possible, but contingent on them getting their core products sorted out first. The money saved with the UAW contract should help product development greatly, which bodes well in that respect. And if Mazda brings back the RX-7, I could easily see a Twinforce-powered roadster based off it under the Ford brand.

But I think the next thing we'll see in the "Halo-car" arena is a Grand Touring Linc built off the 2012 Mustang/Global platform. With the Mustang serving the Ford brand well, the Linc brand would benefit alot more from a Halo vehicle.
Old 11/19/07, 02:05 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
Its quite possible, but contingent on them getting their core products sorted out first. The money saved with the UAW contract should help product development greatly, which bodes well in that respect. And if Mazda brings back the RX-7, I could easily see a Twinforce-powered roadster based off it under the Ford brand.
You mean something like this...................
Old 11/19/07, 06:12 PM
Cobra R Member

Perhaps even bringing back the T-Bird. I think the last interpretation kinda led the way for the 05' Mustang. My biggest beef with the T-Bird was a lack of a powerful engine. Even if the Ford GT is out of reach perhaps a shortend, roadster T-Bird or ac cobra look alike can make production in the 40-50k range to compete with the euro and japanese roadsters or gasp....compete with the vette!
Old 11/19/07, 07:14 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT
Perhaps even bringing back the T-Bird. I think the last interpretation kinda led the way for the 05' Mustang. My biggest beef with the T-Bird was a lack of a powerful engine. Even if the Ford GT is out of reach perhaps a shortend, roadster T-Bird or ac cobra look alike can make production in the 40-50k range to compete with the euro and japanese roadsters or gasp....compete with the vette!
I would have brought a T-bird if had more power
Old 11/19/07, 07:19 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

I would love to see Shelby GR-1.

Old 11/19/07, 08:16 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by Rapture
I would have brought a T-bird if had more power

I hear ya man. The T-Bird/LS was only capible of putting a 4.0 V8 in the engine bay. I think the last T-Birds/LS were tweaked for about 280hp but it was too little to late, Also Ford cancelled plans for an SVT T-Bird. I'd love to see the return of the retro T-Bird, but a bit more agressive looking. Though the T-Bird had great retro cues it was kinda a cute, chick retro car like the Mini or VW Bug.

I also liked the Cobra roadster concept!

Though I like the GR-1, they should strip the Shelby name. Sorry to whine a bit here but if Shelby didnt design the car dont put his name on it. Its not fair to those who did design the car, much like the current GT500
Old 11/19/07, 08:17 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 11/21/07, 07:32 AM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by Red Star
I would love to see Shelby GR-1.

Yeah, you and me both!!! LOVE THIS CAR!!!

On a more serious note, the chance of Ford making another Halo Car is pretty slim at this moment. They really need to focus on products that appeal to everyone, not just a small select group of people. Don't get me wrong, I freaking LOVE the GT. I get to sit in one anytime I want as its still here at the dealership (its the owners car). But being a realist, they need cars for the masses. That said, when they "right the ship", and have the cash to do another car, I sure as heck hope they do make one!!! The car above would be BAD A$$!!!
Old 11/21/07, 07:41 AM
Cobra R Member

ford has to get back in the green before making another supercar. the gr1 and the cobra are on the SHORT list of cars i would ever sell my 07 for
Old 11/21/07, 01:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
Never drove one, so I don't know how they had them tuned or geared. But I thought the retro T-bird was rolling artwork.

I would own one even if it isn't much of a performer. I just like looking at it.
Old 11/21/07, 01:17 PM
Authorized Advertiser

Originally Posted by Paris MkVI
Never drove one, so I don't know how they had them tuned or geared.
The GT was one KICK A$$ car for sure. Have driven a couple of them. Not REAL comfortable for a big guy like me - but they sure do get your attention. We have one as a company car (actually the company owners car - pic below) because we manufacture and sell parts for them.

Old 11/21/07, 03:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by StillenMustang07
The GT was one KICK A$$ car for sure. Have driven a couple of them. Not REAL comfortable for a big guy like me - but they sure do get your attention. We have one as a company car (actually the company owners car - pic below) because we manufacture and sell parts for them.

Hey Page, I always wanted to ask, who did the repaint of your company's GT? Was it Genaddi? And I'm with you. I LOVE THAT CAR!!! Drove ours several times and it puts a smile on my face instantly!!! A true American Supercar that will go down as one of the best (especially for the money)!!
Old 11/23/07, 10:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by 05fordgt
Hey Page, I always wanted to ask, who did the repaint of your company's GT? Was it Genaddi? And I'm with you. I LOVE THAT CAR!!! Drove ours several times and it puts a smile on my face instantly!!! A true American Supercar that will go down as one of the best (especially for the money)!!

Don't get me wrong I love the Ford GT but compaired to the Z06 and the new 600HP 08' Viper it is the worst car for the money. I don't want to split hairs here so lets say that basically all three of the cars have the same capabilities. The Viper is about $80,000 give or take while the Z06 is around $75,000 give or take while the Ford GT was well over $140,000! It was a bargain compaired to it's Italian competiton but Dodge and Chevy undercut the GT by quite a bit. You could pretty much buy both a Viper and a Z06 for the price of one Ford GT. On the flip side the car will always be rarer, and in my personal opinion is much more exotic and better looking.
Old 11/23/07, 11:06 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I don't think that they should drop the GT because the design is timeless.
Old 11/24/07, 10:00 PM
Cobra R Member

They dropped the GT, 2006 was it's last model year. They did not produce it in 07'
Old 11/25/07, 10:29 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by GRAYPNY
I don't think that they should drop the GT because the design is timeless.

It could not pass future crash safety regulations.