Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Breaking News: Ford Curbs Flex Production

Search this Thread

Old 7/22/08, 06:54 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Breaking News: Ford Curbs Flex Production

I hope this isn't a harbinger of imminent death for the U.S. auto industry, but it does indicate how things can go wrong very, very quickly in an economy that's fast circling the drain.

Ford cancels Flex; 500 out of work
CHCH News
Published: Tuesday, July 22, 2008

HAMILTON - Ford confirmed it is suspending plans to create hundreds of jobs in Oakville, Ont., cancelling a planned third shift to create the new Flex vehicle, the company confirmed late Tuesday afternoon.

The Canadian Auto Workers said they feel as though they have been hit with a sledgehammer and described the news as being blindsiding.

Hundreds of people were scheduled to start working in Oakville next week to begin production on a third shift for the Flex line.

"Right now . . . we have 500 people that were going to start work at Ford in Oakville and currently that's been postponed," said CAW spokesman Ron Balazs. "The impact's huge, actually. It's absolutely huge."

Ford had been putting a lot of hopes into the Flex - a seven-passenger vehicle with a fuel-efficiency the company thought would help sell the vehicle in this era of robust gas prices.

But those sales haven't materialized, largely due to a downturn of the U.S. economy.

CHCH-TV reported Tuesday that since Flex production began in the late spring, Ford has sold approximately 500 of the 13,000 or so that were produced.

"We just got this word," said Buzz Hargrove, CAW president. "We'll meet with Ford now and find out what the numbers are...and look at if there is anything we can do."

"We've got some ideas to share with Ford and see where we get them, but there's no guarantees in today's environment."

Original story.
Old 7/22/08, 07:04 PM
I lust for a M24

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
WOW! That's hugely bad news. I wasn't a fan of the Flex, but I'm really surprised they cut it's throat before it started breathing. That's a lot of R&D down the drain without giving it a chance.
Old 7/22/08, 07:09 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What the hell ... ?
Old 7/22/08, 07:13 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Its gotta be a bad joke.
Old 7/22/08, 07:16 PM
Team Mustang Source

This says nothing about the Flex being canceled.

That said, I am less than surprised that sales have been sluggish. Ford is making the same mistake here they made with the Edge early on, but it is likely doing even more damage to the Flex than it did to the Edge. The problem? After having gone to several dealerships to look at these (try seven in two different states) the vast majority I have seen on the lot have been monochrome models with the 18inch wheels in base trim, giving the vehicle the worst possible look and coupling that with an entry level options package most buyers are unlikely to want. When the Edge first debuted Ford had the product mix all wrong producing too many base models, I would have thought that experience would have taught them a lesson with the Flex but apparently it didn't.

The few models I have thus far seen with contrasting roof paint schemes, larger alloy wheels, and stainless lift-gate trim have look extraordinarily better for it. They look so good in fact that I am considering one of these as our first 'family' car after our October marriage. To put this into an ever clearer perspective my fiance actually initially thought the base monochromatc models so prevalent on lots right now, and the two tone models with large alloys, were two different vehicles....which gives you an idea of what happens when the typical, female buyer fleeing her Expedition hits the lot.

The two tone paint scheme and larger alloy wheels (this vehicle's wheel wells swallows the 18's like they aren't even there, ruining the look) need to be standard fare....I'm convinced Ford would sell far more vehicles for it. And again, as happened with the Edge early on I think Ford has severely overestimated the percentage of base vehicles which should be in the product mix. Finally, I think this vehicle needs the 3.5 EB engine yesterday as many folks leaving their suv's wont want to take such a drastic step down in power, even if they are seeking better fuel economy. A 3.5L EB offers both which should be this vehicles ace in the hole.

Last edited by jsaylor; 7/22/08 at 07:38 PM.
Old 7/22/08, 07:21 PM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Ford sold 1379 Flex units in June. This is a shift cancellation.

Last edited by Evil_Capri; 7/22/08 at 07:22 PM.
Old 7/22/08, 07:21 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by jsaylor
This says nothing about the Flex being canceled.
I think whomever wrote the headline was reading between the lines of the article itself. And the article paints a pretty grim picture for the survivability of the vehicle. This article demonstrates that the company is - on a broad scale - turning away from SUVs in general, which perhaps lends further credence to the above headline.
Old 7/22/08, 07:40 PM
Team Mustang Source

This vehicle has so much style potential. Take a gander at Foose's version to see what I mean. With the exception of the somewhat overdone wheel design and the odd looking billet insert in the lower grille I cannot think of anything I would change about the appearance of this vehicle....not even the color combo. And I typically don't care for Foose's stuff.

http://www.fordvehicles.com/crossovers/flex/gallery/
Old 7/22/08, 07:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Now I realize part of why I like the front of the Foose Flex so much. That sucker looks more than a little like a Range Rover from the front!
Old 7/22/08, 11:51 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
I think whomever wrote the headline was reading between the lines of the article itself. And the article paints a pretty grim picture for the survivability of the vehicle. This article demonstrates that the company is - on a broad scale - turning away from SUVs in general, which perhaps lends further credence to the above headline.
If I were more artistically inclined I'd make a big, dancing Giff that says "Its not an SUV, its a friggin Wagon" whenever someone calls it a SUV. I'll settle for the inference derived from the preceding sentence instead.
Old 7/23/08, 12:02 AM
GT Member

That headline scared me. I thought the Flex was really cancelled. It isn't right? There still are two more shifts working on them?

My mom is gonna need a new car that can carry 7 people soon and I don't want her to get a Dodge/Chrysler minivan.
Old 7/23/08, 01:04 AM
Closet American

My interpretation of the article is that sales of the Flex are very poor (far worse than expected or hoped) and that Ford is making a largely wholesale move away from big passenger hauling SUV/minivan/truck-type vehicles and towards smaller, more fuel efficient passenger cars, compact CUVs and global designs. Thus, it's quite likely the Flex's immediate future is in serious jeopardy.
Old 7/23/08, 05:49 AM
I Have No Life

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
They just cancelled the 3rd shift (and not even up and running) at Oakville..that's all
They planned to ADD a 3rd shift, but now they cancelled it.

They still make the Flex and Edge/MKX. Used to make the FreeStar there and F150 years ago.

Last edited by Boomer; 7/23/08 at 05:54 AM.
Old 7/23/08, 04:49 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The flex just arrived at dealers here just a few weeks ago.
Old 7/23/08, 11:11 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Boomer
They just cancelled the 3rd shift (and not even up and running) at Oakville..that's all
They planned to ADD a 3rd shift, but now they cancelled it.

They still make the Flex and Edge/MKX. Used to make the FreeStar there and F150 years ago.
Exactly, they decided not to add the 3rd shift after all, simple as that.

CHCH-TV reported Tuesday that since Flex production began in the late spring, Ford has sold approximately 500 of the 13,000 or so that were produced.
According to Official Ford numbers, they sold 1379 Flexes in June. That's not "approximately 500". I guess the facts were getting in the way of a good doom and gloom story.
Old 7/23/08, 11:31 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by GT40 2
The flex just arrived at dealers here just a few weeks ago.
Same here. Many people don't yet know what it is.
Old 7/24/08, 03:54 AM
Closet American

Ha. Notice that they've now altered the headline in that story to read >> 'Ford curbs Flex Production'.

Freakin' vertically-integrated, corporate controlled media.

At least they changed it.
Old 7/24/08, 12:42 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT
Freakin' vertically-integrated, corporate controlled media.
CanWest runs the country! Don't let them bury the truth! The Cows know the truth, ask them!

Sorry, couldn't resist
Old 7/24/08, 02:42 PM
Cobra Member

Ford curbs Flex Production
That title is still misleading.

Often people just scan titles without reading articles. The title still gives the impression that the Flex has been killed off.
Old 7/24/08, 02:44 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
sold only 500? I saw two of them on the road this weekend in Indiana. And no, they were not the same one.

Quick Reply: Breaking News: Ford Curbs Flex Production