Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Bill Ford Steps Down as CEO!

Search this Thread

Old 9/6/06, 08:14 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Webba
Screw a car guy. If a car gut is the reason for poor quality, crappy dealer service, and putting out mostly fugly looking cars no one wants then Ill take the jet guy please! And just remember Saab was born from jets so we should be rockin now
And Saab's looked terrible up until a few years ago. If you don't want a "car guy" running a company, suit yourself. When you don't, you get cars with no soul, no excitement. Sort of like a Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry. Nice cars, but nothing special in the least, or fun to drive. I just hope he likes different things in regards to ideas. We sure can use them. I have an idea for Allan, bring back the Bronco, as the concept, but make it MEGA off-road capable, like the Wrangler, or FJ. This would sell like crazy, because its different.
Old 9/6/06, 09:57 AM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 05fordgt
And Saab's looked terrible up until a few years ago. If you don't want a "car guy" running a company, suit yourself. When you don't, you get cars with no soul, no excitement. Sort of like a Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry. Nice cars, but nothing special in the least, or fun to drive. I just hope he likes different things in regards to ideas. We sure can use them. I have an idea for Allan, bring back the Bronco, as the concept, but make it MEGA off-road capable, like the Wrangler, or FJ. This would sell like crazy, because its different.
...becuase it's different, Just like the Wrangler and FJ? Conform to non-conformity?

No, I don't neccesarially want a "car guy" at the helm. I prefer having Car Guys in positions where they're subordinate Presidents or VPs in charge of product developement and general brand direction, like Mark Fields or Ulrich Bez. That's where the styling and performance decisions are made and that's where the Car Guys should be, leave the CEO spot to the number-cruchers.
Old 9/6/06, 10:25 AM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
This is somewhat reassuring, but he's STILL not a car guy.

I don't think it's necessary for him to be a car guy to be a good CEO...

I was with IBM when Lou Gerstner took over. He wasn't a "computer guy" at all, but under his leadership IBM made a great comeback from some difficult times.

All these posts and no one has called appointing a new CEO a "Bold Move"?
Old 9/6/06, 11:15 AM
GT Member

Originally Posted by GregS2005GT
I work for Boeing, we're loosing a great guy. Mulally is a real team builder. The airline customers and the Boeing workforce like his vision and leadership. I think at Ford he'll look at everything...and most of all Customer Satisfaction.
Having been through some big CEO and upper management changes while at Compaq/HP, I can say it is important for the employees to feel good about this. Do you think he will be able to help any issues with morale at Ford, or is he more a person who appeases the public/stock holders only? Quite honestly, it will take a long time to turn Ford around if he only tries to appeal to the public. Happy workers will help to ensure more people on the inside try and help turn the company.
Old 9/6/06, 12:42 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Moosetang
...becuase it's different, Just like the Wrangler and FJ? Conform to non-conformity?

The way you mention it, if they make a car that is different, but in the same class, they are conforming. If they make a car that is the same, they get beat up for making the same thing, only late. Ford can't seem to win with alot of people.

I only mentioned the Bronco as one example. What was the last Ford heavy duty type off-roader available. The Explorer and Escape aren't anywhere near that. Plus, I only mentioned the other 2 makes, as I see alot of FJ's on the road, and to me, they are really fugly. Plus, the old Bronco is so loved by alot of people, that they would fly out the showrooms if they came back with one, that was like the original smaller version.
Old 9/6/06, 12:55 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

The way you mention it, if they make a car that is different, but in the same class, they are conforming. If they make a car that is the same, they get beat up for making the same thing, only late. Ford can't seem to win with alot of people.

I only mentioned the Bronco as one example. What was the last Ford heavy duty type off-roader available. The Explorer and Escape aren't anywhere near that. Plus, I only mentioned the other 2 makes, as I see alot of FJ's on the road, and to me, they are really fugly. Plus, the old Bronco is so loved by alot of people, that they would fly out the showrooms if they came back with one, that was like the original smaller version.
Actually, I was poking fun at the way you originoally stated it. I've said here before that I want the Bronco back, and I do think anyhting close to the recent concept would be fresh and new. But I think it's silly to say "we'll make it different, just like the Wrangler or the FJ!" If Ford builds the Bronco that's great, if they build it as a competitor to the W or FJ that's great. But lets not use the "we're being different, just like the other guy!" line, please?
Old 9/6/06, 02:56 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Being in the computer industry, I'm familiar with what Gesterner did at IBM and yes, he was a brilliant guy and a great leader. I don't doubt this guy BUT it is really is WAY too early to believe this guy is going to save this company. Bill obviously felt this guy could be more effective in the position, and placed him there for a reason. All we can do now is wait and see what happens. I certainly hope he can help for sure. Ford's condition appears to be deteriorating.
Old 9/6/06, 03:40 PM
Cobra Member

Being in the computer industry, I'm familiar with what Gesterner did at IBM and yes, he was a brilliant guy and a great leader. I don't doubt this guy BUT it is really is WAY too early to believe this guy is going to save this company. Bill obviously felt this guy could be more effective in the position, and placed him there for a reason. All we can do now is wait and see what happens. I certainly hope he can help for sure.
Yeah, I don't expect the new CEO to save the company, but I'm hoping his experience at Boeing will help...

Ford's condition appears to be deteriorating.
Really? I think it's a mixed situation right now-- some good, some bad:
  • Car sales were up last month--Mustang way up, Fusion and kin way up; 500 sales down but a facelift and 3.5 are on the way
  • Trucks down --F150 sales down slightly, but still leading the truck market;Explorer WAY down; the whole truck/suv marketwide is down
  • Ford Edge debuting soon -- looks to be a hit from the early reviews
And I don't think the press, analysts, or bloggers really have any idea what's really going on at Ford: who in the media knew that Mulally was coming in as CEO? I didn't even read a single rumor or news story mentioning his name anywhere before yesterday.... So take their predictions of doom with a grain of salt.
Old 9/6/06, 05:24 PM
FR500 Member

Don't want to go too far off topic, but I was thinking the same thing about the Bronco and FJ. IMO, Toyota really messed up big time in the rear window area - what's up with that big blind spot? As for the Bronco, Ford should consider bringing it back in the spirit of the (smaller) original without going too retro - lest Ford be branded as only good at making "retromobiles".

One can only hope this new CEO can bring the changes needed to save the company without it losing its soul or totally going over to the beancounters.
Old 9/6/06, 09:14 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by drakino
Having been through some big CEO and upper management changes while at Compaq/HP, I can say it is important for the employees to feel good about this. Do you think he will be able to help any issues with morale at Ford, or is he more a person who appeases the public/stock holders only? Quite honestly, it will take a long time to turn Ford around if he only tries to appeal to the public. Happy workers will help to ensure more people on the inside try and help turn the company.
The rumor is he was passed up for CEO at Boeing because he wasn't selling himself enough, so I don't think his focus will be on public perception of himself, but more on public satisfaction/perception of Ford products. He's an engineer at heart, he knows how to run a large industrial business, our unions spoke well of him, he's the reason Boeing Commercial is kicking Airbus's . I remember when our stock price was in the low $30's....it peaked this summer in the upper $80's.
Old 9/7/06, 09:37 PM

I suppose this does fall under the BOLD MOVES category.