Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

Bill Ford Steps Down as CEO!

Search this Thread

Old 9/5/06, 02:23 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bill Ford Steps Down as CEO!

http://biz.yahoo.com/ap/060905/ford.html?.v=1

Well, everyone who whined for this should be happy...
Old 9/5/06, 02:24 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
wow. well hope this will help the company if Ford thought it was a good idea.
Old 9/5/06, 02:38 PM
The Mustang Source FOUNDER

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Alan Mulally is president and chief executive officer of Ford Motor Company. He also is a member of the company's Board of Directors.

Prior to joining Ford in September 2006, Mulally served as executive vice president of The Boeing Company, and president and chief executive officer of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. In that role, he was responsible for all of the company's commercial airplane programs and related services. Mulally also was a member of the Boeing Executive Council and served as Boeing's senior executive in the Pacific Northwest.

Mulally was named Boeing's president of Commercial Airplanes in September 1998. The responsibility of chief executive officer for the business unit was added in March 2001.

Previously, Mulally served as president of Boeing Information, Space & Defense Systems and senior vice president of The Boeing Company. Appointed to that role in February 1997, he was responsible for Boeing's defense, space and government business.

Beginning in 1994, Mulally was senior vice president of Airplane Development for Boeing Commercial Airplanes Group, responsible for all airplane development activities, flight test operations, certification and government technical liaison.

Earlier, Mulally served as Boeing's vice president of Engineering, and as vice president and general manager of the 777 program.

Mulally joined Boeing in 1969 and progressed through a number of significant engineering and program-management assignments, including contributions on the 727, 737, 747, 757 and 767 airplanes.

Throughout his career, Mulally has been recognized for his contributions and industry leadership, including being named one of "The Best Leaders of 2005" by BusinessWeek magazine for streamlining Boeing's production system and transforming the company's commercial airplanes product line.

Mulally serves as co-chair of the Washington Competitiveness Council, and sits on the advisory boards of NASA, the University of Washington, the University of Kansas, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the U.S. Air Force Scientific Advisory Board. He is a member of the United States National Academy of Engineering and a fellow of England's Royal Academy of Engineering.

He is the immediate past president of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) and current president of its Foundation. In addition, Mulally is the immediate past chairman of the Board of Governors of the Aerospace Industries Association.

Mulally holds bachelor's and master's of science degrees in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from the University of Kansas, and earned a master's in management from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as a 1982 Alfred P. Sloan fellow.

A native of Kansas, Mulally is a private pilot and enjoys tennis, golf and reading.
Old 9/5/06, 02:39 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Wow is right! That came out of nowhere. I was expecting changes but not that. I hope it's a good move.
Old 9/5/06, 02:43 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Bill Ford Steps Down

Today off Yahoo Business:

DETROIT - Ford Motor Co. announced Tuesday that Bill Ford is stepping down as chief executive but will remain chairman of the troubled automaker.
Alan Mulally, previously executive vice president of Boeing Co. and president and CEO of Boeing Commercial Airplanes, has been named president and CEO at Ford.

Anyone else here this!??
Old 9/5/06, 02:49 PM
Bullitt Member

Just read it on Autoblog. And then confirmed on a few other news sites. That is crazy, one day im watching Bold Moves and the next the whole **** company gets restructured. I mean that just came out of left field.
Old 9/5/06, 02:51 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
From Media.Ford.Com

FORD NAMES BOEING'S ALAN MULALLY PRESIDENT & CEO; BILL FORD IS EXECUTIVE CHAIRMAN

BIOGRAPHY: ALAN MULALLY</B>
  • Mulally led turnaround of the commercial airplane division of The Boeing Company. He has a record of success in customer satisfaction, manufacturing, product development, labor relations and supplier management.
  • Bill Ford, as executive chairman, will concentrate efforts on strategic repositioning of Ford Motor Company.

DEARBORN, Mich., Sept. 5 – Ford Motor Company announced today that it has elected Alan Mulally as president and chief executive officer. He has also been elected to the Board of Directors.
Bill Ford will continue his duties as executive chairman of the company.

"One of the three strategic priorities that I've focused on this year is company leadership. While I knew that we were fortunate to have outstanding leaders driving our operations around the world, I also determined that our turnaround effort required the additional skills of an executive who has led a major manufacturing enterprise through such challenges before," Bill Ford wrote in an email to Ford employees today.

"That's why I'm very pleased to announce that Alan Mulally, who turned around the Commercial Airplanes division of The Boeing Company, will become our president and CEO, effective immediately. Alan has deep experience in customer satisfaction, manufacturing, supplier relations and labor relations, all of which have applications to the challenges of Ford. He also has the personality and team-building skills that will help guide our Company in the right direction."

Bill Ford, who said he would remain "extremely active" in the business, praised Mulally as "an outstanding leader and a man of great character." He noted that Mulally had applied many of the lessons from Ford's success in developing the Taurus to Boeing's creation of the revolutionary Boeing 777 airliner. That experience, chronicled in the book, "Working Together," by James P. Lewis, tells how the leadership principles Mulally learned from Ford and developed at Boeing may be applied to other businesses.

"Clearly, the challenges Boeing faced in recent years have many parallels to our own," Bill Ford said.

Mulally, 61, has spent 37 years at The Boeing Company, most recently as executive vice president. In addition, he has also been president and chief executive officer of Boeing Commercial Airplanes since 2001. In that position he was responsible for all of the company's commercial airplane programs and related services, which in 2005 generated record orders for new business and sales of more than $22.6 billion. Mulally was named president of Commercial Airplanes in September 1998. The responsibility of chief executive officer for the business unit was added in March 2001.

"I think the opportunity to work with Bill Ford and Ford Motor Company is the only thing that could have attracted me to a job other than Boeing, where I have so many great friends and memories," Mulally said. "I'm looking forward to working closely with Bill in the ongoing turnaround of this great Company. I'm also eager to begin engagement with the leadership team. I believe strongly in teamwork and I fully expect that our efforts will be a productive collaboration."

Mulally noted that many of the challenges he encountered in commercial airplane manufacturing are analogous to the issues at Ford.

"Just as I thought it was appropriate to apply lessons learned from Ford to Boeing, I believe the reverse is true as well," Mulally said. "I also recognize that Ford has a strong foundation upon which we can build. The Company's long tradition of innovation, developing new markets, and creating iconic vehicles that represent customer values is a great advantage that we can leverage for our future."

Bill Ford said he expected Mulally would assist Mark Fields and the Way Forward team as they accelerate their business plan.

"After dealing with the troubles at Boeing in the post-9/11 world, Alan knows what it's like to have your back to the wall – and fight your way out with a well-conceived plan and great execution," Bill Ford said in his note to employees. "He also knows how to deal with long product cycles, changing fuel prices and difficult decisions in a turnaround."
Prior to his current position, Mulally served as president of Boeing Information, Space & Defense Systems and senior vice president of The Boeing Company. Appointed to that role in February 1997, he was responsible for Boeing’s defense, space and government business.
Beginning in 1994, he was senior vice president of Airplane Development for Boeing Commercial Airplanes Group, responsible for all airplane development activities, flight test operations, certification and government technical liaison.
Mulally serves as co-chair of the Washington Competitiveness Council, and sits on the advisory boards of NASA, the University of Washington, the University of Kansas, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the U.S. Air Force Scientific Advisory Board. He is a member of the United States National Academy of Engineering and a fellow of England’s Royal Academy of Engineering.
Mulally holds bachelor’s and master’s of science degrees in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from the University of Kansas, and earned a master’s in management from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as a 1982 Alfred P. Sloan fellow.
A member of the board since 1988, Bill Ford, 49, was elected chairman in September 1998, and took office on Jan. 1, 1999. He also serves as chairman of the board's Environmental and Public Policy Committee and as a member of the Finance Committee. He was named Chief Executive Officer on Oct. 30, 2001.

Bill Ford, who led the Company to three straight years of profitability through 2005, told employees in his email that he looked forward to an excellent working partnership with Mulally on global strategic issues.

"Let me assure you: I'm not going anywhere," Bill Ford wrote to Ford workers. "As executive chairman, I intend to remain extremely active in the direction of this Company. I'll be here every day and I will not rest until a prosperous future for this Company is secured."
Old 9/5/06, 02:58 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

This guys resume' makes for a GREAT leader in the aeronutics space, but automotive??

Why do I feel like the grim reaper of big business just layed his hand on my shoulder??
Old 9/5/06, 03:14 PM

Found this on the boeing site. Best leaders of 2005 sounds promising, this may be a good thing.

Source: http://www.boeing.com/companyoffices...s/mulally.html

Alan Mulally was executive vice president of The Boeing Company, and president and chief executive officer of Boeing Commercial Airplanes. Mulally retired from Boeing and became president and chief executive officer of Ford Motor Company in September 2006.

At Boeing, he was responsible for all of the company's commercial airplane programs and related services, which in 2005 generated record orders for new business and sales of more than $22.6 billion. Mulally was a member of the Boeing Executive Council and served as Boeing's senior executive in the Pacific Northwest.

Mulally was named president of Commercial Airplanes in September 1998. The responsibility of chief executive officer for the business unit was added in March 2001.

Previously, Mulally served as president of Boeing Information, Space & Defense Systems and senior vice president of The Boeing Company. Appointed to that role in February 1997, he was responsible for Boeing's defense, space and government business.

Beginning in 1994, Mulally was senior vice president of Airplane Development for Boeing Commercial Airplanes Group, responsible for all airplane development activities, flight test operations, certification and government technical liaison.

Earlier, Mulally served as vice president of Engineering, and as vice president and general manager of the 777 program.
Mulally joined Boeing in 1969 and progressed through a number of significant engineering and program-management assignments, including contributions on the 727, 737, 747, 757 and 767 airplanes.

Mulally serves as co-chair of the Washington Competitiveness Council, and sits on the advisory boards of NASA, the University of Washington, the University of Kansas, Massachusetts Institute of Technology and the U.S. Air Force Scientific Advisory Board. He is a member of the United States National Academy of Engineering and a fellow of England's Royal Academy of Engineering.

He is the immediate past president of the American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics (AIAA) and current president of its Foundation. In addition, Mulally is the immediate past chairman of the Board of Governors of the Aerospace Industries Association.
Mulally holds bachelor's and master's of science degrees in aeronautical and astronautical engineering from the University of Kansas, and earned a master's in management from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology as a 1982 Alfred P. Sloan fellow.

A native of Kansas, Mulally was born Aug. 4, 1945. He, his wife Nicki and their five children reside in the Seattle area. He is a private pilot and also enjoys tennis, golf and reading.

Throughout his career, Mulally has been recognized for his contributions and industry leadership, including:
  • Named one of "The Best Leaders of 2005" by BusinessWeek magazine for streamlining Boeing's production system and transforming the company's commercial airplanes product line.
  • Honored in 2002 for distinguished service by the University of Kansas.
  • Named an honorary fellow of England's Royal Aeronautical Society in 1999.
  • Selected in 1996 as a Laureate, Aviation Week & Space Technology's top honor, for the Boeing 777's introduction into commercial service. In addition, Mulally received three Laurels recognition from the magazine: in 2000 for leading the Commercial Airplanes team in a turnaround that increased financial performance, productivity and shareholder satisfaction; in 1995 for leading development of the 777; and in 1986 for his work on wind shear and effective pilot training.
  • Recipient of the AIAA Reed Aeronautics award for a "lifetime of achievement in commercial aviation" in 1996.
  • Named 1996 Engineer of the Year by Design News magazine.
  • Accepted the National Aeronautic Association Robert J. Collier Trophy on behalf of the 777 team for the "greatest achievement in aeronautics and astronautics for 1995."
  • Elected as an AIAA fellow in 1995.
  • Recipient of the University of Kansas Engineering School's Distinguished Engineering Service award in 1994.
  • Honored with the 1986 AIAA Technical Management Award.
  • Named by the Puget Sound Business Journal in 1985 as one of the top 25 business leaders for the 1990s.
  • Selected for the Seattle Chamber of Commerce's Leadership Tomorrow program in 1984.
  • Chosen 1978 Industry Engineer of the Year by the National Society of Professional Engineers.
  • Named as Boeing's 1978 Engineering Employee of the Year.
Old 9/5/06, 03:55 PM
J2D
GT Member

Good news is that Ford stock has been rising the last few days and jumped nearly $.30 in after hours trading.
Old 9/5/06, 03:58 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 05retro
That is crazy, one day im watching Bold Moves and the next the whole **** company gets restructured.
I would not call it a whole restructuring of a company but an addition to senior leadership capacity. When Aston Martin get sold, departments are changed by combining them under fewer middle managers, and engineering staff work on more platforms that cross Volvo, Mazda, and the other brands, then I'd say there is restructuring.

Often the operational planning/execution (CEO) and strategic planning/execution (COB) can be split in a large company like Ford and have it be beneficial.

I wish the company continued success in their efforts to improve.
Old 9/5/06, 04:31 PM
Cobra R Member

Woohoo finally the vision of the flying cars they gave us as kids, may finally come true.

Old 9/5/06, 05:37 PM
Team Mustang Source

While I have no earthy idea on what the "new guy" is going to do, they didn't bring him in to maintain the status quo. IMO whatever changes will be made will be made relatively quicky or guess I should say will be announced sooner rather than later.
Old 9/5/06, 05:40 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

this took me completely off guard! i was so surprised when i heard it from my dad
Old 9/5/06, 09:07 PM
Bullitt Member

I work for Boeing, we're loosing a great guy. Mulally is a real team builder. The airline customers and the Boeing workforce like his vision and leadership. I'm guessing Alan was looking for a CEO job since he did not get the promotion at Boeing. If you've ever flown on a 777 he's the guy who made it happen, what a great plane. I think at Ford he'll look at everything; Engineering, Manufacturing, Product Development, and most of all Customer Satisfaction. Being a Boeing and Ford man, I'm sad, but happy. I hope he does for Ford what he did for us.

Greg
Old 9/5/06, 09:12 PM
Cobra Member

and a hearty thank you to bill ford for being able to put the ego aside for the good of his company and its employees .. this guy really cares about the future of the company

now its time to not just match toyota, but to crush them
Old 9/5/06, 09:51 PM
Shelby GT500 Member

Originally Posted by GregS2005GT
I work for Boeing, we're loosing a great guy. Mulally is a real team builder. The airline customers and the Boeing workforce like his vision and leadership. I'm guessing Alan was looking for a CEO job since he did not get the promotion at Boeing. If you've ever flown on a 777 he's the guy who made it happen, what a great plane. I think at Ford he'll look at everything; Engineering, Manufacturing, Product Development, and most of all Customer Satisfaction. Being a Boeing and Ford man, I'm sad, but happy. I hope he does for Ford what he did for us.

Greg
This is somewhat reassuring, but he's STILL not a car guy.

Old 9/5/06, 10:19 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by 97svtgoin05gt
This is somewhat reassuring, but he's STILL not a car guy.

Just because he hasn't worked in the auto industry doesn't mean he isn't a car guy. Maybe some fresh blood is needed to rid of the Detroit "business as usual" mentality.
Old 9/6/06, 05:05 AM
Mach 1 Member

Screw a car guy. If a car gut is the reason for poor quality, crappy dealer service, and putting out mostly fugly looking cars no one wants then Ill take the jet guy please! And just remember Saab was born from jets so we should be rockin now
Old 9/6/06, 07:02 AM
AKA 1 BULLITT------------ Legacy TMS Member

Received 342 Likes on 215 Posts
Originally Posted by tom_vilsack
Woohoo finally the vision of the flying cars they gave us as kids, may finally come true.

Hopefully his second priority will be to instill a customer first attitude and eliminate dealer arrogance.

Quick Reply: Bill Ford Steps Down as CEO!