2016 Lincoln MKS Rendered, Detailed!

Search this Thread

Old 8/26/13, 04:14 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2016 Lincoln MKS Rendered, Detailed!

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/201...-rendered-news

What it is: The second generation of the Lincoln MKS, which we rendered using info from sources intimately familiar with its development. Designed under the leadership of Max Wolff—who previously worked at Cadillac, and Holden before that—the MKS epitomizes the future of the brand's styling direction. Its conservative lines and the 1970s-inspired kink in the rear shoulder line and side windows aren't going to wow anyone, but they are an attempt at creating an "American" style, as well as some familial resemblance with the MKC crossover. Moreover, there are sufficient amounts of chrome to cater to those ever-important Chinese tastes. However, there is little commonality with the MKZ sedan, whose futuristic, concept-like style apparently won't lead anywhere. The MKS, of course, will be offered with the upmarket Black Label interior themes launched in Pebble Beach earlier this month.
Why it matters: The MKS is a crucial model in re-establishing Lincoln as a viable premium competitor in the U.S., where it was the top-selling luxury brand in 1998 but has fallen woefully behind the competition since. Ford’s luxury arm had a market share of just 0.57 percent in 2012, making it the eighth-bestselling brand in its segment. Moreover, Lincoln will begin selling vehicles in China late next year, the first serious attempt to venture beyond its home market.
Lincoln is hoping that the next MKS will provide the brand with a strong foundation as part of a new-product offensive that will include a compact crossover and a rear-wheel-drive coupe. Compared to other luxury brands, Lincoln will have a softer, more-comfortable, smoother style.
Platform: The next-generation Lincoln MKS will share its platform with the Ford Taurus—a legacy of the archaic Volvo S80 platform, and architecture related to what underpins the Ford Explorer and the Ford Flex. This structural foundation is robust and competent, but lightweight it’s not.
Powertrain: The 2016 Lincoln MKS will be offered with a new EcoBoosted 2.9-liter V-6 codenamed Nano, and the proven EcoBoost 3.5-liter V-6. The latter powerplant will match or exceed the Taurus SHO's 365 horsepower, and we expect the smaller V-6 to produce in the realm of 300 horses. Initially, gearchanges will be handled by a six-speed automatic, but eventually the MKS should be the recipient of the nine-speed auto that’s being jointly developed by the Ford and GM. Power will be routed to the front wheels, but all-wheel drive will be an option—and very likely mandatory when paired to the 3.5-liter.
Competition: Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac XTS, Lexus ES.
Estimated arrival and Price: The 2016 Lincoln MKS will land on showroom floors in late 2015 as a 2016 model. Expect the base price to increase by a few thousand dollars from today’s $41,320.

Last edited by Zastava_101; 8/26/13 at 04:15 PM.
Old 8/26/13, 04:20 PM
Cobra Member

Don't think it'll get the job done when it will probably still mimic the Taurus like the MKZ mimics the fusion.
Old 8/26/13, 06:18 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

That article runs contrary to previous reports that D3 is going away, with Taurus moving to CD4+ and MKS either getting the same or getting a special LWB stretch of it. It also flies in the face of the MKC concept, which moved the bar forward not backward from the MKZ.
Old 8/28/13, 01:34 AM
Spam Connoisseur
I got هَبوب‎ed

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
why do you let me down Lincoln?
Old 8/30/13, 07:13 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C&D gets it wrong more often than they get it right. I doubt it looks close to this.
Old 8/30/13, 07:24 AM
Cobra Member

I don't really have as much of a problem with the outside as I do the inside. The New Lincoln inside looks almost identical to a fusion. So I'd never buy it.
Old 8/30/13, 08:16 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
RWD or bust I say!
Old 9/8/13, 06:05 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I hate, really hat the new Lincoln grill. Everything from that point back looks good, but Lincoln's need to look super stylish, low and lean. And the interior has to be simple but fabulously detailed and executed.
Old 10/6/13, 09:57 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Fenderaddict2
I hate, really hat the new Lincoln grill. Everything from that point back looks good, but Lincoln's need to look super stylish, low and lean. And the interior has to be simple but fabulously detailed and executed.
The lincoln grill could look good if designed right