Notices
Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

2009 Lincoln MKS

Old 11/14/07, 07:52 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Its nice looking......but it doesnt really impress me at all. Maybe I have to see it in person. And call me crazy but the center counsel is way to boring. Looks just as cheesy and cheap as a buick lacross's. Personally I think its a let down
Old 11/14/07, 08:07 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Moosetang View Post
Its going to have 400 HP in GTDI form, I think you'll be surprised just how sporty this thing is. Unless you opt for the -V, you won't see better #s on the Caddy.
Given my experience driving the other vehicles made on this platform, Lincoln has a lot of work to do to make the MKS into anything approaching sporty. It will take a lot more than 350-400 HP to turn that larger platform into something that is responsive and fun to drive.
Old 11/14/07, 08:38 PM
Cam Tease

What is your experience on other vehicles on this platform, and do you realize what "400 hp" means? Unless you're some driver in the American Iron series, I doubt you'd yawn at the chance to drive a 400hp MKS.
Old 11/14/07, 10:37 PM
Cobra R Member

I love the look of this car! I hope they can use the same styling for a s197 based 2 door sports coupe. I agree that the engine is a disapointment. What is Ford's problem with engine development? The current 3.0 in the Fusion probly dates back to the Model T days, The 3.5 thats is just now making it into the 08' Taurus should have been availible in the 500/Fusion/Mustang as far back as 05-06' In my opinion Lincoln shouldnt release the car until the twin force V6 is ready to rumble, same goes for the new F-150.
Old 11/15/07, 04:12 AM
Closet American

Given Ford's present situation, I give it an 'A' for effort, but a 'B-' for execution.

Definitely a step in the right direction, but the styling is derivative, and it won't pose any threat to the Cadillac CTS. The interior is an improvement, but there are still touches of cheapness, like the gauge cluster <yawn>, for example, and the buttons on the steering wheel, which are straight out of the Ford parts bin (in fact, I think they're the same ones as on the Taurus).

And those big letters in the center console that say LINCOLN? Taaaacky.

But as I said, a BIG step in the right direction. Hopefully Ford keeps finessing it over subsequent generations.
Old 11/15/07, 07:56 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hollywood_North GT View Post
but the styling is derivative, and it won't pose any threat to the Cadillac CTS.
styling is subjective, I for one find this car more attractive then the CTS.
Old 11/15/07, 08:18 AM
Cobra R Member

I agree
Old 11/15/07, 11:28 AM
Bullitt Member

I like the direction of the styling, but I think the more aggressive look with the slightly wider and lower stance and allusion to hips from the MKR concept would have been nicer, and also the tail lights from the concept...
Old 11/15/07, 04:01 PM
Closet American

Yeah, there's something about the relationship of the wheels to the wheel wells that isn't quite right - that says "cheap" to me. I think improving the stance would help a lot.

Still, if the car's quality, solidity and fit & finish are exemplary, that will go along way to propelling sales. And the dedicated website is very nicely done.

Did you read how Jim Farley wants to take Lincoln global?

Might want to wait and get a few more new products into the pipeline first, Jim.
Old 11/15/07, 07:30 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Might want to wait and get a few more new products into the pipeline first, Jim.
Navigator, MKX, MKZ, MKS, Flex-based Crossover coming soon, possible Mustang-based coupe/convertible..... they don't exactly have a bare lineup
Old 11/15/07, 07:44 PM
Closet American

Navigator, MKX, MKZ, MKS, Flex-based Crossover coming soon, possible Mustang-based coupe/convertible..... they don't exactly have a bare lineup
MKX and MKZ are rebadged Fords that might do alright in Asia, but would get laughed at in Europe.
Old 11/15/07, 10:47 PM
Cobra R Member

Lincoln needs to take the same approach as Cadillac and build their cars to outperform BMW, Audi and Mercedes. I visited a dealership the other day and the new CTS is stunning, I would rather have it over a more expensive 5 series. If Lincoln can do the same then we can see the USA owning the Lux market again!
Old 11/16/07, 12:01 AM
Closet American

Originally Posted by 97GT03SVT View Post
Lincoln needs to take the same approach as Cadillac and build their cars to outperform BMW, Audi and Mercedes. I visited a dealership the other day and the new CTS is stunning, I would rather have it over a more expensive 5 series. If Lincoln can do the same then we can see the USA owning the Lux market again!
Old 11/16/07, 12:12 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

As I said earlier: more standard HP than most of its European rivals and, when the GTDI gets here, more HP than the non-M/AMG/Quattro on the top end. More interior room, comparable fuel economy without needing super-premium, all for 5-10 grand less. Just becuase the MKS doesn't have Bob Putz telling everyone how freaking awesome it will be (still waiting on that new -V, Bob), doesn't mean it isn't a competitor. Lets see how things shake out when the comparison tests start up before we judge whether or not its got the juice.
Old 11/16/07, 02:27 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
comparable fuel economy without needing super-premium
theres no way the turbo engine will not require premium.

my 08 cx7 is turbo with direct injection and still requires premium fuel.
Old 11/16/07, 06:52 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Originally Posted by AnotherMustangMan View Post
What is your experience on other vehicles on this platform, and do you realize what "400 hp" means? Unless you're some driver in the American Iron series, I doubt you'd yawn at the chance to drive a 400hp MKS.
I've driven them all, including the Volvo S80 which spawned the MKS.

400HP doesn't mean squat if the vehicle is a slow responding, ill handling pig. Given how the S80, 500 / new Taurus are tuned for mainstream American and not the entheusiast, I'm not holding any high hope for the MKS. Those vehicles feel more akin to a school bus than a sports car. Hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised by the MKS when it finally arrives in 9 months in 270 HP version and 20 months or so when the 350 - 400 HP version finally arrives, but I'm not holding my breath.
Old 11/16/07, 07:01 PM
V10
Shelby GT350 Member

Did you read how Jim Farley wants to take Lincoln global?
It's deja-vu all over again. Lincoln marketing was singing that same tune back in 1998 - 1999 just before the LS was introduced.

The plans for globalizing the LS were canned because the LS was a point product and Lincoln didn't have a family of vehicles that would play outside N. America.

Geez, there Lincoln marketing goes, jumping the gun gain. Those who fail to learn from history are ****ed to repeat it.
Old 11/16/07, 07:23 PM
Team Mustang Source

Originally Posted by V10 View Post
It's deja-vu all over again. Lincoln marketing was singing that same tune back in 1998 - 1999 just before the LS was introduced.

The plans for globalizing the LS were canned because the LS was a point product and Lincoln didn't have a family of vehicles that would play outside N. America.

Geez, there Lincoln marketing goes, jumping the gun gain. Those who fail to learn from history are ****ed to repeat it.
Exactly, marketing follows product which follows strategy.
Old 11/16/07, 07:39 PM
Closet American

Originally Posted by V10 View Post

Originally Posted by jsaylor View Post
Exactly, marketing follows product which follows strategy.
Exactly, and right now Lincoln doesn't have sufficient product and seems to lack strategy. Marketing is therefore superfluous to the whole conversation.

The LS was a one-shot wonder; one good car does not a brand line-up make. Hopefully, this new MKS is a taste of a whole new range of products from Lincoln, though given the company's history, and J Mays' repeated failures at Ford, I won't hold my breath.
Old 11/16/07, 07:41 PM
Team Mustang Source

Exactly, and right now Lincoln doesn't have sufficient product and seems to lack strategy. Marketing is therefore superfluous to the whole conversation.
Can't argue with that.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2009 Lincoln MKS

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.