Ford Discussions Non-Mustang Ford Products

2009 Ford F-150

Search this Thread

Old 1/15/08, 04:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bt4
I don't like it. Recently Ford has established a pattern of showing slick, well executed concepts and producing bland, bordering on ugly, production vehicles. The 2003 F-150 was a good looking truck. JMO, but the 2003 SVT Lightning might have been the best looking full-size truck ever brought to market.

The Super Chief concept was the truck Ford should have produced and didn't, not this half-hearted refresh of the existing design.
Take a look at the SuperChief and you can see where a lot of the inspiration for the 2009 design came from.
Old 1/15/08, 04:16 PM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RCSignals
Take a look at the SuperChief and you can see where a lot of the inspiration for the 2009 design came from.
Be sure to use a microscope, though...you'll need it to see any real similarities.
Old 1/15/08, 05:13 PM
Cobra Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G4dWEvOuzX8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8E_uD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YZSeWZx-bbQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N3WT...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h0kqh...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8LQOhFyEVCc&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=niKCT...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WS0fjT25gtQ&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ejmC...eature=related
Old 1/15/08, 07:33 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Originally Posted by Treadhead
Nothing but the truth right there. I had an '01 Supercrew with the 5.4 and 4spd trans before my Mustang. I test drove an Expy with the 6spd and it is a world of difference. It was like the 5.4 suddenly gained a lot of extra power and it shifted nice and smooth.
There is also horsepower difference between 5.4L in old F-150 and new Expedition. Old F-150 has 265 hp, new Expedition have 300 hp.
Old 1/15/08, 08:24 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Yes--it has 4 wheels and a bed. (Just being flippant, I apologize!) You are right, there are a few cues, but Hollywood is right, too--few.

The Super Chief does not have 'nostrils' on either side of the horizontal grill bars. (Maybe that appeals to some, but it does nothing for me.) On the Super Chief the hood projects over the top bar of the grill blending with the grill and helping to integrate the grill into the front fascia. Because of the surround, from certain angles the new F150 appears to have the grill sticking above the hood. The chrome surround on the new F150 makes it look like the grill has been pasted to the front of the truck as an afterthought. It is the same impression I am left with when I see the Lincoln Navigator.

Take a look at the image I posted of the Super Chief--you'll note that none of the side panels resemble the new F150. The stacked LED headlights on the Super Chief don't remotely resemble the headlights on the production F150.

Not everybody likes the same thing. And I'm sure plenty of people will like the new F150. However, to me the Super Chief looks are more appealing. Even though it has an industrial look--the design elements come together much smoother than the new F150. The Super Chief is something I might buy. (I did own a 2003 F150.) The new F150? Not even with a rebate.
Old 1/15/08, 08:34 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Ford Site...

http://www.fordvehicles.com/2009f150/
Old 1/15/08, 08:55 PM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
too bad they are too embarassed to release hp numbers.

The boss V8 and twinforce is needed now.
Old 1/15/08, 09:15 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bt4
Yes--it has 4 wheels and a bed. (Just being flippant, I apologize!) You are right, there are a few cues, but Hollywood is right, too--few.

The Super Chief does not have 'nostrils' on either side of the horizontal grill bars. (Maybe that appeals to some, but it does nothing for me.) On the Super Chief the hood projects over the top bar of the grill blending with the grill and helping to integrate the grill into the front fascia. Because of the surround, from certain angles the new F150 appears to have the grill sticking above the hood. The chrome surround on the new F150 makes it look like the grill has been pasted to the front of the truck as an afterthought. It is the same impression I am left with when I see the Lincoln Navigator.

Take a look at the image I posted of the Super Chief--you'll note that none of the side panels resemble the new F150. The stacked LED headlights on the Super Chief don't remotely resemble the headlights on the production F150.

Not everybody likes the same thing. And I'm sure plenty of people will like the new F150. However, to me the Super Chief looks are more appealing. Even though it has an industrial look--the design elements come together much smoother than the new F150. The Super Chief is something I might buy. (I did own a 2003 F150.) The new F150? Not even with a rebate.
I said inspiration from, not clone of. You can see much of where the design elements of the new F150 came from in the Superchief. Even the headlights.

The SuperChief ws an interesting styling exercise, but it would never sell in the numbers Ford requires of the F150.
Old 1/15/08, 09:23 PM
Mach 1 Member

I personally think it looks real nice!! Cant wait to see it in person!
Old 1/16/08, 04:02 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

The SuperChief ws an interesting styling exercise, but it would never sell in the numbers Ford requires of the F150.
And you can prove this, how? You like the new F150. That's OK, (some people even liked the Pontiac Aztec). I don't. A statement like the Super Chief design wouldn't sell is just as hollow as a statement that the Super Chief would sell 800,000 trucks--neither point of view means anything since Ford chose not to offer the concept to the buying public.

As far as design elements, lets just agree to disagree. The lights on the F150 remind you of the ones on the Super Chief--sorry, not feeling it.

This is not fact, JMO, (keep in mind, my opinion and a dollar is not going to buy you a cup of coffee at Starbucks), if new power options don't arrive--and soon, the new F150 is not going to sell in the numbers Ford requires of the F150.
Old 1/16/08, 06:33 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

I said inspiration from, not clone of. You can see much of where the design elements of the new F150 came from in the Superchief. Even the headlights.
Just to satisfy my own curiosity, you see similarities in the headlights?

Take a look at the head-on image of the Super Chief, then compare it to the photos of the new F150. On the Super Chief, I see a set of rectangular (taller vertically than horizontally), stacked, LED headlights separated by a horizontal amber turn signal indicator, recessed from the fender.

On the new F150 I see traditional headlights--a single headlight, not a stacked pair, (wider horizontally than vertically) with rounded corners, flush with the sheetmetal, with a 'squircle' integrating the turn signal with the headlight.

What similarities do you see--they are both headlights?

I know, I should quit whining. Ford didn't put the Super Chief in play, so there is no sense in arguing over it. It's just my frustration at seeing some outstanding (in your terms) 'styling exercises' on the show circuit with less than stellar efforst showing up on the dealer's showroom.
Attached Images  
Old 1/16/08, 06:43 AM
Closet American

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bt4

Take a look at the head-on image of the Super Chief, then compare it to the photos of the new F150. On the Super Chief, I see a set of rectangular (taller vertically than horizontally), stacked, LED headlights separated by a horizontal amber turn signal indicator, recessed from the fender.

On the new F150 I see traditional headlights--a single headlight, not a stacked pair, (wider horizontally than vertically) with rounded corners, flush with the sheetmetal, with a 'squircle' integrating the turn signal with the headlight.

I know, I should quit whining. Ford didn't put the Super Chief in play, so there is no sense in arguing over it. It's just my frustration at seeing some outstanding (in your terms) 'styling exercises' on the show circuit with less than stellar efforst showing up on the dealer's showroom.
The new F-150 bears no resemblance to the Super Chief, except for perhaps the power dome hood.

The Super Chief looks terrific. Sadly, the new F-150 does not.
Old 1/16/08, 04:07 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by bt4

Their general shape and wrap around to the side, as I said it's not a clone.

I'm surprised though that they didn't use a stacked pair as in the E series front redesign. That may be somethig left to come.

One of peoples biggest complaints about the SuperChief as I remember was the heavy front end and grille. The three bar grille is still a complaint generally, but designers did tone it down a little.

Just as with the '96 redesign it doesn't matter what either of us think, they'll sell as fast as they can build them.
Old 1/16/08, 06:16 PM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Their general shape and wrap around to the side, as I said it's not a clone.
That's it? The general shape? Never mind one is a single--a horizontally placed wrap-around and the other is a vertically stacked pair, which BTW does not wrap around the fender.

Take a look at the images below, and ask yourself which one does not look the same as the other two. (Hint in two of the photos, there is a single, rectangular light with a amber turn signal that wraps around the fender. In the other photo, there is a vertically stacked pair of headlights.) In case you don't recognize the style--one of the photos is of a 1989 F150. (No the 89 and the 09 are not clones, but by your logic they are close enough to be twins.)

You are correct however, what we think (you and me) will not make or break the new F150. I do wish Ford well with the new truck and I think whoever buys one will probably get a good vehicle.
Attached Images    
Old 1/16/08, 07:45 PM
TMS Post # 1,000,000
Serbian Steamer

Ford should've based new F-150 after Tonka concept.

Old 1/16/08, 09:20 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Red Star

That was a nother styling exercise from which they drew inspiration and elements for subequent trucks and the '09 f150
Old 1/17/08, 05:46 AM
bt4
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Red Star
Cool pic - Yellow is not usually the color that first comes to mind when you think of a truck, but on the Tonka it looks great.