Old 6/11/08, 12:28 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Man, that does look reaaaaly good...

But still not worth the $450 or w/e
Old 6/11/08, 12:37 PM
Post *****

looking back... this diffuser is different from the ebay one.. it looks like it might be a one off though...
Old 6/12/08, 10:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
But it does look good. Thats what I had in mind when I originally thought of doing it to my vert. Which makes me wonder... would doing that to a vert have made any difference in the first place.
Old 6/13/08, 12:16 PM

The way that a diffuser works is to accelerate the air, not just channel it. One like the one posted above on the black 'Stang would definitely help the car stay going in a straight line, somewhat like the fins on an arrow, but it would create virtually no down force, because the air needs room to expand causing a vacuum, and sucking the air from under the car backwards, then the vacuum left over pulls the car toward the ground; down force.

As the car is, there are more than enough pockets for the air to stay stagnant, so the diffuser would be more cosmetic than anything else. By smoothing out the underside it causes the air to be forced to the back, instead of sitting under the car.
Old 6/27/08, 06:46 AM

There is one company selling rear diffusers for the 99-04 mustangs on Ebay. Its $450 from RFR.
Picture link is below

From Ebay...
You are bidding on the RFR rear diffuser for all 99-04 Mustangs and 99-01 Mustang Cobras. Our rear diffuser improves the car's aerodynamic properties by enhancing the transition between the high-velocity airflow underneath the car and the much slower free stream airflow of the ambient atmosphere. It works by providing a space for the underbody airflow to decelerate and expand so that the boundary between the car's airflow and "external" airflow is less turbulent, and it also provides a degree of "wake infill" (basically, better cornering and increased down force). All of our diffusers are made of 7075 16 gauge aircraft aluminum(more durable than carbon fiber pieces and at a much lower cost). Also every piece of the diffuser is riveted together, so that in the event that a single fin or other piece is damaged, you do not need to buy a whole new diffuser. You can simply call in for a replacement and we can send it right out to you. You can also expect to see an increase of 3+MPG with the diffuser. This is due to reduction in the “parachute effect”, by enclosing the space from your rear tires to your back bumper. As well as an increase in stability at highway speeds and cornering.

Here is the link....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...256955865&rd=1
Old 6/27/08, 07:31 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
3mpg increase, if that were true ford would have put them on the stangs from factory.
Old 6/27/08, 11:31 AM

One like the one that they sell would not change anything without extensive underbody modifications. The only drag that it would reduce would be that between the bumper and the gas tank, which is minimal.
Old 9/10/08, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by future9er24

Man, that does look reaaaaly good...

But still not worth the $450 or w/e
Hey guys,

i was doing a little research to see what people thought about a diffuser for our stangs. funny i should fall upon this thread and see my car mentioned above, the black one.

ive been getting a lot of emails lately asking about my diffuser, so ive decided to try to produce them. I understand that many people dont think 450 is worth the price, i agree. thats why i havnt sold these any earlier. as of now the one you see is in fact a one off, although i do have a prototype for a side exhaust/V6 stang.

if i get enough good feedback you can probably see these shipping before the holidays.
Old 9/10/08, 08:24 PM

So 450 is still going to be the asking price? Any more pics of your car?
Old 9/10/08, 10:05 PM
Post *****

+1
Old 9/11/08, 07:33 AM

Originally Posted by cntchds
So 450 is still going to be the asking price? Any more pics of your car?
hopefully the GT version shouldnt be near that price and im hoping the V6 version wont get there either. i am going to be meeting with the shop that will be building these for me in a week or so to go over pricing. i will keep you updated.

the diffuser is off in one of the pictures
Attached Images   
Old 9/13/08, 02:37 PM

Very tasteful mods. Great to see you on the boards. Keep us posted.
Old 9/14/08, 09:26 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by ashton
hopefully the GT version shouldnt be near that price and im hoping the V6 version wont get there either. i am going to be meeting with the shop that will be building these for me in a week or so to go over pricing. i will keep you updated.

the diffuser is off in one of the pictures
Cool! keep us in touch and welcome! Your stang looks really nice!
Old 9/20/08, 02:03 PM

Well gentleman, i would like to announce that the ASHTON diffuser is now available!

I am also proud to say that the price of the diffuser remained well below the 450 mark like i had hoped. Check out our new site at http://www.ashtondiffusers.com and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks guys!
Old 9/30/08, 01:38 PM
GT Member

Originally Posted by ashton
Well gentleman, i would like to announce that the ASHTON diffuser is now available!

I am also proud to say that the price of the diffuser remained well below the 450 mark like i had hoped. Check out our new site at http://www.ashtondiffusers.com and let me know if you have any questions.

Thanks guys!

I see on your site that you ran into some leagal issues...Can't you just create a release form that denies you of any legal responsibility due to improper use? Of course a lawyer could right it all out so you are in the clear if any thing happens.

Really I'm more curous to know if you have any real world prefomance gains with the use of the difuser. any increase in fuel milage?
Old 9/30/08, 08:58 PM

I don't want to be stepping on Ashton's toes here, but I don't think that this piece would have any barring on how your mpg looks. You have a lot more control over that with your right foot than a carbon fiber bit at the rear of your car.
Old 10/1/08, 06:44 AM
GT Member

I undestand that we do have more control over mpg I'm just trying to figure out if there is any real world benefit of a product like this other than a cool look. But since he's actually built one and has it installed I figured his first hand knowledge could answer some of the questions in the thread.

I've read the whole thread and I agree that it would probably take an entire under-car approach to make this functional.
Old 10/1/08, 08:51 AM
Needs to be more Astony

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by dhg2496
I undestand that we do have more control over mpg I'm just trying to figure out if there is any real world benefit of a product like this other than a cool look. But since he's actually built one and has it installed I figured his first hand knowledge could answer some of the questions in the thread.

I've read the whole thread and I agree that it would probably take an entire under-car approach to make this functional.
Dad and I will be in Michigan in a couple weeks, we can build a complete underbody on the bullitt in between seeing grandma.

Old 10/1/08, 08:58 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by Knight
Dad and I will be in Michigan in a couple weeks, we can build a complete underbody on the bullitt in between seeing grandma.

Baja Bullitt!!!!!!!!!!
Old 10/1/08, 02:19 PM
GT Member

Maybe the Bullitt does need one...

I don't want this happening to another Bullitt...

Quick Reply: Rear diffuser