SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Rear diffuser

Search this Thread

Old 6/3/08, 09:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rear diffuser

Hi,

An interesting topic came up at work last night and I'm hoping someone on here may point in the direction of an answer. Barring after market rear bumpers, is there a rear diffuser available for the '94-'04 SN95?
Old 6/3/08, 11:51 AM
Cobra R Member

To the best of my knowledge only the current gen California Special and GT500 have them. 94-98 all had the same bumper except for what was embossed on it.....plain on the V6 "Mustang GT" and "Cobra" on the others. 99-04 GTs and Mach 1s had the same bumper while V6s only had one cutout for the single exhaust while Cobras has unique bumpers but no diffusers..........
Old 6/3/08, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I know I have seen them, but they were custom made for that particular Mustang. A year or so ago I know i saw an article of a guy building a 200mph SN-95 that had one......I can't remember where I saw it though, sorry for not much of a help.
Old 6/3/08, 01:07 PM

Well, guys, thanks for your responses. I figured a diffuser would probably be a custom job. I'll look into how to make and where would be good for mounting on the '99-'04 SN95, since that what I have. I figure that since both V6, GT and '99-'01 Cobras have the same general design (ignoring the dual exhaust cuts on the 8 cylinders) that mounting one centrally would be best. I'll see what I can come up with and should I figure it out and do it I will post pics and a "how to".
Old 6/3/08, 06:05 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

this is the closest thing I can think of aftermarket

Last edited by bluethunderhorse; 6/3/08 at 06:07 PM.
Old 6/3/08, 07:36 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
The best starting point, in my opinion, would be to buy one of the Cervini's rear bumpers that reach all the way over the gas tank. Something like what blue thunder horse posted would have virtually no improvement over a stock bumper.
Old 6/4/08, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by cntchds
The best starting point, in my opinion, would be to buy one of the Cervini's rear bumpers that reach all the way over the gas tank. Something like what blue thunder horse posted would have virtually no improvement over a stock bumper.
Well, I wasn't thinking about adding onto a aftermarket bumper so much as trying to figure how to create a piece that will mount in the rear and perhaps cover the bottom of the gas tank (?). Obviously I've yet to figure this one out... yet. I'll be heading over to a friend's place tonight to try and figure this out since he has a solid driveway (mine is dirt and at an incline) to jack the car up on and take a look.
Old 6/4/08, 04:11 PM

In that case, remember that the reason diffusers work is because the underside of the cars that they are attached to are relatively flat. Having the underside stock, and tacking a diffuser to the back won't give you any real stability further than what you already are experiencing. I think that attaching a full blown stability/downforce package to the Mustang would need to have serious modifications to the front bumper to channel it through the car rather than just running it into the engine bay and having it dump to under the car. After that the underside would need to be covered to make it almost flat, and of course in the back it would need the diffuser and vents for the channeled air. Anything less than that would not give you much more stability. Obviously each little thing you do does something, but if you want it for its actual benefits it is much simpler, and far more effective to get a wing. If you want it for the look, well, that is far easier, and I'm sure that if it is done well it would look slick.
Old 6/5/08, 07:04 AM

In that case, remember that the reason diffusers work is because the underside of the cars that they are attached to are relatively flat. Having the underside stock, and tacking a diffuser to the back won't give you any real stability further than what you already are experiencing. I think that attaching a full blown stability/downforce package to the Mustang would need to have serious modifications to the front bumper to channel it through the car rather than just running it into the engine bay and having it dump to under the car. After that the underside would need to be covered to make it almost flat, and of course in the back it would need the diffuser and vents for the channeled air. Anything less than that would not give you much more stability. Obviously each little thing you do does something, but if you want it for its actual benefits it is much simpler, and far more effective to get a wing. If you want it for the look, well, that is far easier, and I'm sure that if it is done well it would look slick.
Well, I'm not doing it for the look I'm more interested in the functionality of the diffuser. The front has an air dam attached to it so I was hoping to add the rear diffuser to take care of the remaining air flowing beneath the car. As far as spoilers go... I'm still looking into that. I'm not sure if I should get a Steeda wing or a Roush wing since I believe both arre made to fit the holes drilled in the trunk lid for the factory spoiler.
Old 6/5/08, 09:44 PM

Like I said before then, I don't think that any bolt on type diffuser would be worth the effort. Take it as a grain of salt, though.
Old 6/5/08, 11:03 PM

Like I said before then, I don't think that any bolt on type diffuser would be worth the effort. Take it as a grain of salt, though.
Trust me, grain of salt taken. However, I'm at least going to try and pencil on out on paper, research material and see what I can come up with. However, it looks like I may end up with an Invader rear bumper from GroundDynamics.com if I can't find a decent solution.
Old 6/5/08, 11:31 PM

I was kind of toying with the idea in my head during class today. I'll do a rough sketch and post it up tomorrow.
Old 6/6/08, 02:24 AM
FR500 Member

Sheet aluminum for the diffuser parts. Make sure they're bolted on good and watch out for steep driveways, speed bumps from heck, and curb/parking bumpers if you back into stalls...
Old 6/6/08, 08:54 AM

I was kind of toying with the idea in my head during class today. I'll do a rough sketch and post it up tomorrow.
I'm looking forward to seeing that.
Old 6/6/08, 03:51 PM

It is for a New Edge, correct?
Old 6/6/08, 09:51 PM

This is what I came up with. Sorry for the very rough sketch, but without further adieu.

Old 6/7/08, 04:56 AM

That is nice... I mean like way nice. I gotta enlarge that a bit.
Old 6/7/08, 03:30 PM

I basically drew it like a 94-98 bumper with the bottom part removed and instead having the diffuser. I thought it looked pretty cool and a lot like the Cobra (03-04) bumper.

Edit: Let me know if you want a bigger/darker scan and I'll do it. My scanner is just so ancient that it takes forever to scan.
Old 6/8/08, 11:04 AM
Mach 1 Member

I found this.

Mustang rear diffuser

Dunno if it will fit the SN95?
Old 6/8/08, 12:04 PM

That looks really funny for some reason. It looks like it's a bigger gas tank than the stock GT, or at least I don't think my gas tank is that much lower than my rear bumper.

I'm fairly sure that DethHorse has 04 vert, so that would be good for him. I just don't think a piece of plastic that could potentially be made for pretty cheap should cost 450 bucks...

Quick Reply: Rear diffuser