SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

New Top & Painted Bumper

Search this Thread

Old 4/18/10, 03:38 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Top & Painted Bumper

Well I spent the weekend putting the new top on, and with the sun today I was able to paint the bumper as well. Putting the top on was quite an adventure, but well worth the money I saved. No leaks, fits good, works right. The only bad thing is there's a couple wrinkles here and there, but nothing major, and I think even those will go away once the top has had some time to stretch out and settle good.

This is the best pic I have from before. I hated taking pics with the bad top so I just took the top down for pictures lol. If you look close you can see the big tear behind the drivers quarter window.

Here's pics from the installation...

And finished!

And pics from painting the bumper:

Old 4/18/10, 04:11 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Looks great!! Good job!
Old 4/18/10, 08:40 PM
Bullitt Member

Nice job. My stock top has a wrinkle in it and it drives me crazy. I am thinking of taking it to a shop that does tops to see if they can get the wrinkle out. Hopefully your wrinkles will go away on their own...setting it out in the hot sun helps.
Old 4/18/10, 10:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Nice!!
Old 4/18/10, 10:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm surprised you went back with a tan top. Looks good though man. How long did it take?
Old 4/19/10, 07:02 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks for the comments guys!

Originally Posted by Mustang Buster
Nice job. My stock top has a wrinkle in it and it drives me crazy. I am thinking of taking it to a shop that does tops to see if they can get the wrinkle out. Hopefully your wrinkles will go away on their own...setting it out in the hot sun helps.
I know what you mean. The ones I've got don't look terrible, especially since the top is new compared to the shredded old one that was on it. It was able to sit out yesterday in the sun. After painting the bumper my friend and I spent the morning cleaning up his truck... even got the sunburn to prove it lol.

Originally Posted by cntchds
I'm surprised you went back with a tan top. Looks good though man. How long did it take?
The only reason I didn't go black is because of the stripes. I won't be changing the paint anytime soon at all, so that's why I stuck with the tan. The general consensus from people in my other thread seemed to be to only go black if I was losing or changing the stripes. It took us 11 hours from start to finish.
Old 4/25/10, 08:56 AM
Legacy TMS Member Pr

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts
Looks good! Hecksa lot of work, but worth every minute after seeing the final product.
Old 4/25/10, 10:10 AM
Cobra R Member

Looks great. I love your prep work and those wrinkles should fade away...
Old 4/25/10, 01:14 PM
Team Mustang Source

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
I wonder if a wrinkle can be steamed out ? but would there be a risk of shrinking ? then if it came back learn to live with it ?
Old 4/25/10, 01:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
Originally Posted by harristotle
Well I spent the weekend putting the new top on, and with the sun today I was able to paint the bumper as well. Putting the top on was quite an adventure, but well worth the money I saved. No leaks, fits good, works right. The only bad thing is there's a couple wrinkles here and there, but nothing major, and I think even those will go away once the top has had some time to stretch out and settle good.

This is the best pic I have from before. I hated taking pics with the bad top so I just took the top down for pictures lol. If you look close you can see the big tear behind the drivers quarter window.

Here's pics from the installation...

And finished!

And pics from painting the bumper:

Hey! Lookin' good! You're so close to me! I live in Lafayette! I love the Shelby American Collection in Gunbarrel! Cool!! You should join out Rocky Mountain Mustang Club here on TMS!
I don't think I've ever seen your Mustang out and about!
Old 4/25/10, 01:24 PM
Cobra R Member

[quote=GottaHaveIt;5853116]I wonder if a wrinkle can be steamed out ?/[quote]

There should be a convertible top guy in the forum somewhere... Maybe if it was posted in apperarance/wash/wax section?
Old 4/30/10, 10:47 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by edumspeed
Looks good! Hecksa lot of work, but worth every minute after seeing the final product.
Thank you for the compliments. It was WAY worth doing it ourselves. It's nice to take on projects like this and have the satisfaction of having done it yourself, not to mention the bucket load of money I saved!

Originally Posted by WaltM
Looks great. I love your prep work and those wrinkles should fade away...
Thanks! The wrinkles have been getting better and better with time.

Originally Posted by unnoticedtrails
Hey! Lookin' good! You're so close to me! I live in Lafayette! I love the Shelby American Collection in Gunbarrel! Cool!! You should join out Rocky Mountain Mustang Club here on TMS!
I don't think I've ever seen your Mustang out and about!
I'm down in the C-Springs, and have only had the Cobra up in the Denver area maybe 2 or 3 times. I loved the collection as well, that picture is from my 1 and only trip. I've been to the museum in Vegas numerous times though.
Do you have a link or info. on the Rocky Mountain Mustang Club? I'd love to join!
Old 4/30/10, 11:16 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts