SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

My 2004 40th Anniversary Mustang Has Two Vin Numbers!

Search this Thread

Old 9/2/18, 08:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 2004 40th Anniversary Mustang Has Two Vin Numbers!

While searching the internet about this, I came across a thread in this forum, which was, unfortunately closed. So, like a good Bela Legosi movie, I am attempting to resurrect it.
In attempting to trade in my 2004 Mustang at a dealer, I was told it had two vin numbers and they could not sell it retail, therefore, they would not accept it as a trade. I was beyond shocked at hearing this news! I purchased my car brand new (from the same dealer no less) and have a clean and clear title. The vin on the dash matches the title, but the vin in the door jamb does not. I have never had the door replaced due to an accident, etc. The only way this could have happened is at the factory - there had to be a mix-up. Nowadays the dealers check all vins when used cars come in, but apparently didn't check my vins back in 2004. The dealer told me I could sell it privately. I'm planning on calling the DMV just for peace of mind on all of this.
I'm hoping my headache will prevent any other Mustang owners from having problems in the future. Check all your vins!
Old 9/2/18, 03:48 PM
V6 Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
I read about this some where. I worked in an assembly plant and I have seen it all. Our vins were installed when it came into the trim shop after paint. The label on the jamb that is supposed to match the vin, in our plant was put on in the final assembly line. Now this is what I believe happened. If a vehicle was pulled during the assembly process, we called it a "kickout". Now what is supposed to happen in scheduling, they are supposed to notify key areas that deal with vin related pieces to keep everything in sync. Some one in your case wasn't notified most definitely it was the person installing the door jam labels. Now how many? who knows how long before it was caught. It becomes a night mare when they find out to make the correction.In your case, yours got out of the plant along with others. This is FORDS FAULT NOT YOURS but they will deny it, guess that's why they check vins now.
The following users liked this post:
nemysis (9/2/18)
Old 9/2/18, 08:11 PM

Hello hobojack and thank you so much for your detailed reply! I figured something had to happen in the factory before I (and even the dealer) got the car. Now that you've explained it to me, I can fully understand how it happened and why they would just let it go, figuring it wouldn't be their problem since all of us affected could register our cars. It's all about the money - and how much it would have cost to correct it.
Old 9/3/18, 08:05 AM
2014 SGM Roush Stage 2 --------- Moderator------

Received 1,088 Likes on 788 Posts
Ford once listened in on this forum, but since the S550's came out they have baled out on us. Anyone out there know where they are listening now? If you can find this out the Ford customer service representative can connect you with the right people.

From searching the web Deysha is no longer with Ford. Looks like she is now with Best Buy.
https://www.linkedin.com/in/deysha-williams-a1426249

Search the forums that are directed to the G6 or S550 Mustang builds and post something there. Otherwise you might try this page from Ford and see if you can get there attention.

https://www.ford.com/help/contact/
Old 9/4/18, 04:45 PM

I appreciate the info. Unfortunately, it's probably too late for my Mustang. After 14 years, there's no way to prove it came from the factory with the two vin numbers. But hopefully, this will help someone in the future. I'm going to try to sell mine privately.
Old 9/9/18, 04:56 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Bummer about Deysha. She used to get things done for us!!! Since our gen is now nearly ten years in the past no one cares about us anymore...
Old 10/9/18, 02:18 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I would reach out to Ford Corporate, anyway. There are ways to prove it came out of the factory with two VINs. Namely, looking for the other car with the same VIN as your door has. Even seeing that the two VINs were built on the same day would give them higher confidence, and possibly could help them to authenticate/approve of a VIN swap on the door. I understand the dealer's hesitation, but a door swap can happen at the factory, or the door could have just been installed on the wrong car. We are talking about 14 years ago, so maybe it wasn't as advanced as it is today, but we scan everything now. Good luck.
Old 1/1/19, 02:38 PM

Imagine if that was a 1970 vehicle and you were the original owner.