SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Engine Swap...

Search this Thread

Old 9/14/05, 03:18 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
they are both 4.6li. engines, but are they the same size? and has anyone tried or heard of this done before?
Old 9/14/05, 05:28 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
it should fit just fine, as long as you have the computer and all the wiring and stuff that ya need.

i think....
Old 9/14/05, 11:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by future9er24@September 14, 2005, 5:31 PM
it should fit just fine, as long as you have the computer and all the wiring and stuff that ya need.
i think....
The shell is the same so it will fit fine, but watch which year Cobra goes in there...because the 03/04 Cobras have a 6 speed transmission.

Scothew or SVOPaul would know more on this, but my guess is this:
Engine
Tranny
Speedometer needs to be calibrated or changed(different redline)
Crank...I believe the Cobras are forged metal they use a different bolt pattern
I'm not clear, but independent rear suspenion...."MIGHT" be needed
Maybe a new driveshaft....once again SVOPaul or Scothew are better in this area than I am

I've thought about a Cobra clone....etc, but some times that price tag is more expensive than a Cobra itself. I created a topic on this once...it might be of some help.....I'll post it later today.

If you're looking on the Ford Racing site....a MACh1(aka Mercury Marauder engine) engine might be a better alternative.
Old 9/14/05, 11:56 PM
Mach 1 Member

Here's the topic......but I forgot something......BRAKES. Cobra brakes are bigger and better for a reason. Also do a search on engine swap in the v6 forum there's a few topics.

http://forums.bradbarnett.net/index....opic=14748&hl=
Old 9/15/05, 10:55 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Received 48 Likes on 39 Posts
Everything you would ever want to know about putting a 4.6L 4v into a 4.6L SOHC based GT is in this website.

http://cobrapoweredgt.com/

The swap can be done fairly easy. If your car is a 5-speed car, the stock t-45 will bolt right up with any 96-01 4v motor. Since your car is a 00, i'd defintely try to go with a 99/01 4v just to make it easier with the COP (Coil On Plug) setup that you already have.

A chip in the computer to compensate for higher redline and larger injectors that the 4v requires.

Other things will defintely be covered by that website. It was made by the first person to do the swap and it was a huge hit on stangnet.com when alot of people were doing this swap.
Old 9/15/05, 10:57 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Btw, you dont have to change the rear end to IRS or even get cobra brakes. THose are nice things to have, but your GT stuff will work just fine. I like the cobra brakes because well, they just stop better :P

If you are able to use your stock tranny, which I think you will, the driveshaft now will be fine.
Old 9/15/05, 10:59 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Well it looks like they are redoing the site. Check their forums links and you should be able to find alot of the info you need.

Some of their pages are down for construction.
Old 9/15/05, 12:46 PM
Mach 1 Member

My GT is an auto, so I'd still have to change the tranny possibably...

I'd love to either do this myself (with help of course) or get this done...

Just the idea of having a 300+ engine in my car gives me this feeling of "OOOOOOOO That sounds nice! "
Old 9/15/05, 12:51 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Not true. Im not sure off the top of my head, but I know a auto tranny can mount to a 4v motor. Lots of bracket racers do it with mild n/a and blown 4v motors. I know a different flywheel and maybe a tranny bellhousing will have to be used. I'll try to dig up specifics and let you know.

Edit: I just thought about it, but if a mach1 4v can be used with an auto tranny it should be easy them. Especially if the motor you got came from an auto mach1. May want to check with a ford parts dept and see what they say. Maybe talk to 05stangkc on this board as he helps our members out and is a great guy.
Old 9/17/05, 02:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

Thanks for the help Scott.

I'm not planning on doing this for quite some time... since I'm still waiting on insurance to give me my check for my truck, which is still in St. Bernard in about 2 feet of water/oil. I'll get around 18k for it, this will go to pay back my loan and buy my wife a new car, which is also over there... at least I have my Pony huh?

I'm hoping once I get a good job and find a lonr term residence I can go all the work I have to do on my baby...
Old 9/17/05, 09:28 PM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Good luck to you Pat. Let us know if we can be of any help. If you happen to find your way up towards central AL, I can defintely recommend a few shops to help you out with anything you need stang wise
Old 9/18/05, 09:46 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by DrunkenDragon713@September 17, 2005, 2:07 PM
Thanks for the help Scott.

I'm not planning on doing this for quite some time... since I'm still waiting on insurance to give me my check for my truck, which is still in St. Bernard in about 2 feet of water/oil. I'll get around 18k for it, this will go to pay back my loan and buy my wife a new car, which is also over there... at least I have my Pony huh?

I'm hoping once I get a good job and find a lonr term residence I can go all the work I have to do on my baby...
Well since you are in Dallas......you should probably check out Dallas Mustang...the same one in the mag.

They might be able to give an estimate. Then hide the estimate from the wife , as you save up for the swap.
Old 9/19/05, 12:40 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally posted by Scothew@September 15, 2005, 12:54 PM
Edit: I just thought about it, but if a mach1 4v can be used with an auto tranny it should be easy them. Especially if the motor you got came from an auto mach1. May want to check with a ford parts dept and see what they say. Maybe talk to 05stangkc on this board as he helps our members out and is a great guy.
Also I believe that the 1999 Cobra engines from Ford Racing, comes with the transmission. So it would almost be a pick-em(Mach/Cobra), which engine would you rather deal with, and if you prefer auto/standard.

I guess another question is.....the Cobra engine should be aluminum, but not sure on the MACh1.
Old 9/19/05, 01:16 AM
Stubborn Bear
TMS Staff

Both blocks are aluminum.