SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Car wont start - HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 3/1/14, 06:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car wont start - HELP!

This is so strange!

Hey all, I just purchased a 2004 Mustang V6 3.9L.....

Heres the story. Got it home and it was driving rough at about 30-40 mph - took it to O'reillys to check for error codes (check engine light did come on). did have a couple error codes as in Cyl 3 was missing. I replaced the engine coil with a new one I purchased at O'reillys.... At this point it got bad. The car now wouldn't even get power enough to make sound like it was going to turn over.

So, I put back on the old coil thinking the new one may just be bad. Now, I did number the plugs so they would go back on the same.... So, here I'm scratching my head - the darn car won't turn over at all now! It sounds like it might so it's cranking (which is better than the new coil sounded) but it just wont turn over! UGH. I actually now bought a new battery just to rule that out - looked like it needed it anyway. Still same thing.... I've checked the ignition fuse and all the others.... I just don't know where to go now.

Maybe new plugs and wires? ??????

Any ideas what may be going on?

Thanks!
Old 3/1/14, 07:17 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Goob
This is so strange! Hey all, I just purchased a 2004 Mustang V6 3.9L..... Heres the story. Got it home and it was driving rough at about 30-40 mph - took it to O'reillys to check for error codes (check engine light did come on). did have a couple error codes as in Cyl 3 was missing. I replaced the engine coil with a new one I purchased at O'reillys.... At this point it got bad. The car now wouldn't even get power enough to make sound like it was going to turn over. So, I put back on the old coil thinking the new one may just be bad. Now, I did number the plugs so they would go back on the same.... So, here I'm scratching my head - the darn car won't turn over at all now! It sounds like it might so it's cranking (which is better than the new coil sounded) but it just wont turn over! UGH. I actually now bought a new battery just to rule that out - looked like it needed it anyway. Still same thing.... I've checked the ignition fuse and all the others.... I just don't know where to go now. Maybe new plugs and wires? ?????? Any ideas what may be going on? Thanks!
Confirm the car won't turn over at all? Does the starter even attempt to turn over motor? If not, the starter is probably bad.
Old 3/1/14, 06:20 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 788 Likes on 574 Posts
it does have oil in it correct?
Old 3/1/14, 08:46 PM

Thanks for the help. Yes, the oil level is great on the dipstick and it looks nice and clean. The car sounds like it could turn over all the way at any point but just doesn't.... Yes the starter sounds like its turning.....

I talked to a buddy tonight and he suggested trying to reset/pull the relays? Worth a try I guess. He thought maybe I tripped them?
Old 3/1/14, 09:50 PM
Post *****

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
While buying new plugs or wires may correct the #3 misfire, it doesn't explain why it doesn't start since you replaced the coil. I don't know this engine, but by your description, it has a single coil rather than a COP (coil on each plug).

The fact that it doesn't start since you replaced the coil tells me there is an error in the installation. Wired wrong? Plug wire not connected to the coil/on the plug all the way?

If it is a single coil, double check you have the plug wires installed on the coil in the correct firing order.

Go back to basics... are you getting spark out of a plug? (Pull a plug, reconnect the plug wire, ground the plug against the head or frame, turn car over and have someone visually watch the plug spark.) Next try each plug.

If you are getting spark, and they are firing in the correct order, that points to a fuel issue which you would hunt for next.

Last edited by cdynaco; 3/2/14 at 02:12 PM.
Old 3/3/14, 11:45 AM

Update..... I had the car towed to my shop today - they said it was the fuel pump (no pressure) so we are going to replace that and the fuel filter. Hopefully that will get her back on the road.
Old 3/3/14, 01:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

hope its not just a fuel filter. They should change that first and check for pressure again.
Old 6/25/14, 09:51 AM
Legacy TMS Member

hows it going?
Old 6/25/14, 01:42 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Wish we knew how this turned out
Old 6/26/14, 06:27 AM
Legacy TMS Member

well yea