SN95 Mustang 1994-2004 Mustangs Member Tech & Restoration Discussion

Car Shuts Off While Driving - NEED HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 6/1/21, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Car Shuts Off While Driving - NEED HELP!

Hey Folks! I need Help, for my car that is : I have a 95' GT 5-speed that shuts off while driving. RPM's just drop and car won't start until I let it sit for a while. Here's the run down of that I've done and what I've found out so far. This all started after I changed my Alternator. I noticed that my battery gauge started to flicker ( which it didn't do before). About a month and a half of replacing the Alternator, the car started to shut off. After some reading online, I replaced my Ignition Coil, Spark Plugs, Wires, swapped out the TFI Module, replaced the coil connector that was warn out, and checked all my grounds. Car still did the same thing. My father in law checked for codes, but only thing that came back was that my Alternator was reading as Abnormal. I replaced the alternator this morning and, same thing. What we did find out is that when we have the lights on, emergency lights on, and the stereo going, that's when the car shuts off after about 5 min. We did this several times and we got the same results. Not sure if anyone has encountered the same problems, and if you found any solutions. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 6/1/21, 03:06 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 464 Likes on 306 Posts
Did you check the PIP or the distributor. They can cause this to happen.
Old 6/1/21, 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by Jaryd21
Did you check the PIP or the distributor. They can cause this to happen.
Not Yet, but will check. Thank you.
Old 6/3/21, 09:33 AM

Originally Posted by BadAppleDesignz
Hey Folks! I need Help, for my car that is : I have a 95' GT 5-speed that shuts off while driving. RPM's just drop and car won't start until I let it sit for a while. Here's the run down of that I've done and what I've found out so far. This all started after I changed my Alternator. I noticed that my battery gauge started to flicker ( which it didn't do before). About a month and a half of replacing the Alternator, the car started to shut off. After some reading online, I replaced my Ignition Coil, Spark Plugs, Wires, swapped out the TFI Module, replaced the coil connector that was warn out, and checked all my grounds. Car still did the same thing. My father in law checked for codes, but only thing that came back was that my Alternator was reading as Abnormal. I replaced the alternator this morning and, same thing. What we did find out is that when we have the lights on, emergency lights on, and the stereo going, that's when the car shuts off after about 5 min. We did this several times and we got the same results. Not sure if anyone has encountered the same problems, and if you found any solutions. Any and all help would be greatly appreciated.
Check your catalytic converters to see if there blocked.
Old 6/3/21, 10:55 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 669 Likes on 542 Posts
That's... not a bad idea, actually. But I'd say that the car would start at least...

And welcome to the forums! Took ya a minute to say somethin!

Check fuel pump/pressure and or fuel filter. Reason: I had a '66 I6 that'd do this very thing. Sure, it's a '66 and the systems are quite different, but the problem is similar to what you're seein'... She'd run fine, and then randomly not start. Just crank and crank (which I'm assumin' is your result as well.) Turned out the fuel pump was goin' out and I didn't know it or hear about it till after I sold it. I always figured it was some sort of goofy temperature related vacuum issue with the fuel tank, as most times I'd just spin off the gas cap and then she'd start. Most times...

Man, what a noob I was back then... I've learned so much in just diagnosis and experience from then, I'd have probably thrown the pump at it right away.

Anyway, just a lil' food for thought. I'm sure I'm wrong.

Last edited by houtex; 6/3/21 at 10:57 AM.
Old 6/4/21, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by Trudy Guldin
Check your catalytic converters to see if there blocked.
My Cats definitely need to be replaced. That's one issue that is making my car run like it can't breath. So looking to getting me an x-pipe with cats. I've seen some on Offer Up without cats, but don't want it much louder. Thanks for the suggestion

Originally Posted by houtex
That's... not a bad idea, actually. But I'd say that the car would start at least...

And welcome to the forums! Took ya a minute to say somethin!

Check fuel pump/pressure and or fuel filter. Reason: I had a '66 I6 that'd do this very thing. Sure, it's a '66 and the systems are quite different, but the problem is similar to what you're seein'... She'd run fine, and then randomly not start. Just crank and crank (which I'm assumin' is your result as well.) Turned out the fuel pump was goin' out and I didn't know it or hear about it till after I sold it. I always figured it was some sort of goofy temperature related vacuum issue with the fuel tank, as most times I'd just spin off the gas cap and then she'd start. Most times...

Man, what a noob I was back then... I've learned so much in just diagnosis and experience from then, I'd have probably thrown the pump at it right away.

Anyway, just a lil' food for thought. I'm sure I'm wrong.

Hey Thanks for the Welcomes on here. LOOOOOONG time member and frequent visitor to the site. You'll be seeing more of me in here I'm sure. I shared my ride in the Rides thread in case anyone is interested in checking it out.

Anyhoo, To all that have responded and lend help, Thank you. Greatly appreciate you taking the time. So a fellow SN95 Stanger loan me his Module and Distributor. Wasn't the module as I had mentioned. So the PIP and Distributor was next on the list. My mechanic(s) were unavailable, so I decided to tackle the swapping of the Distributor myself. I've seen it done many time, I just never done it myself. So I took a crack at it ( what's the worse that can happen right? ) and after a successful install, The car started right up and hasn't turned off since! So, not sure if it was the PIP ( which is most likely that it was) or the distributor. Been driving my car around since yesterday and it's been driving great. I did notice that my temp is going up just a bit. So I'm thinking it might be a bit off timing? Anyhoo, the dude was cool enough to sell me his distributor for cheap while I buy myself a new one in a couple weeks. Any recommendations?

Again, thanks for everyones help.
Old 6/5/21, 04:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

Glad to hear that you got your stang back up and running.
Old 6/5/21, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by Jaryd21
Glad to hear that you got your stang back up and running.
Thanks man! Feels good to be driving my car again. I was having withdrawals already
Old 6/6/21, 12:13 AM
Mach 1 Member

Lol I bet, plus makes moving a little easier