05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

yes its a ratchet shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 10/8/08, 08:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I modified the shifter so the stock shifter cable would work, it did involve welding the way I did it, still very simple, IMO, I bought the shifter used, however from all the checking I have done, it is a B&M 80690 shifter.
Old 10/8/08, 10:39 AM
Bullitt Member

Thanks,

Can hardly wait for pictures.
Old 10/9/08, 03:52 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I guess I'm the only person that doesn't like this mod. It looks like it belongs in a '78 Camaro.

Anyways, good work on the install, glad that you are happy with it--which is all that counts.
Old 10/13/08, 10:22 AM
GTR Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
subscribing
Old 10/15/08, 02:59 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by soitsav6
have just completed my install of a true ratchet shifter in my 2005 (by the way the car can be seen in this months 5.0 starting on page 66) this was a personal challenge to see if it could be done, and yes it can, I still have some final tweaking to do but will use it in it's current position for a while, there is no true functionality on these cars for a ratchet shifter as long as you have a good tune from one of the forum favorites, IMO, the coolness factor however is worth its weight in gold to me, I have had both types of the stock and IUP versions, YUK! overall it was not real hard, I played around with different positions, etc. and did some modifications to the shifter to be able to use the stock shifter cable, I will be doing some more work to it and will have some more info in the weeks to come, oh and yes I know it looks tall in the pict, but setting in the car it feels pretty good,

Did you have to use the Ford: AOD requires installation kit# 40496?

All the B&M MEGASHIFTERS I found only have (3 speed) Park, R, N, D, 2, 1 can you double check the part # or does the shifter come with the Park, R, N, D, 3, 2, 1 insert?

Also did you use the Factory Mustang Cable or the B&M Cable?

Last edited by Twisted; 10/15/08 at 03:03 PM.
Old 10/15/08, 03:33 PM
Bullitt Member

I used the factory cable and will be seeing if I could have used the B&M cable when I take it back out, the part # I had to guess at looking at pictures as I bought the shifter used, I do believe from what I have read that B&M actually has several shifters capable of 4 speds, you change out the indicator and there is a pin to use as a stop, after the car show this Saturday I will be parking the car to do a couple of adjustments to some things, I will be taking the shifter back out to take pictures and attempt a HOW TO for those who might be interested, I am sure that mony will think I am crazy for doing it and all will agree I don't have tacobill write up skills, but I am going to try, I appreciate evryones interest and comments.

not even sure what the AOD kit is, hell it might of even made this a simpler install.
Old 10/15/08, 06:24 PM
Bullitt Member

so I looked at summit, could be one of a couple of their megashifters, they are closely the same with a 6" stick handle, even the model for the truck, I will see if there is a part number on the shifter when I pull it back out, haven't seen the AOD kit yet to see what it is/does.
Old 10/15/08, 10:07 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by soitsav6
so I looked at summit, could be one of a couple of their megashifters, they are closely the same with a 6" stick handle, even the model for the truck, I will see if there is a part number on the shifter when I pull it back out, haven't seen the AOD kit yet to see what it is/does.
Thanks,

I am anxious to get started on my conversion, like you posted earlier with a good tune you don't need the shifter but I like the idea of being able bang up and down through the gears with out missing one.
Old 10/21/08, 12:46 PM
Bullitt Member

Just a bump to see if you have been able to get any pictures?
Old 10/21/08, 01:47 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
+1 I'd love to see more pics
Old 10/21/08, 07:49 PM
Bullitt Member

had fun at the car show this past weekend(won a trophy) and have been lazy this week, will probably get the garage and cars moved around tomorrow and get started soon, thanks for the continued interest, I have also been trying to come up with something to replace the boot, since I lowed the shifter I dont like how it squiches down, got a few ideas but may could use some creative suggestions on making something that would look good also.
Old 10/22/08, 10:50 AM
Cobra Member

although those rachet shifters look awesome, just need to be careful if you do any serious driving as I have experienced first hand in an old Firebird while raking through the gears with that exact same OEM shifter at the track and "missed" the last shift as it went into 1st instead of 3rd (shifting manually of course) only to have the car do some crazy things... like slide sideways, which resulted in me having spit a big chunk of seat out of my you know what:-)
Old 10/22/08, 11:50 AM
Bullitt Member

at the track I wont be shifting any gears, its DRIVE with O/D off and pedal down, with the tune I run theres no way to be smarter than the computer, the fun for me is my city driving, the up and down shifting on corners and stop and go traffic this thing has been a blast, also the improved look over stock to me was worth it alone, I pimp a little when I drive and the new resting spot for my hand is right on. LOL
Old 10/22/08, 01:32 PM
Cobra Member

well that makes sense and is the next best thing (if you can call it that) to having a manual and to your point, might be considered the best of both worlds... easy/consistent shift for a "drag race" and the option to play when when you are out just having fun
Old 10/22/08, 02:27 PM
Bullitt Member

xactley!!!! when B&M comes out with the version made for this car it will be a worthwhile mod IMO, or the one I am using, which will require a little more work and adjustment will be good as well!
Old 10/29/08, 09:19 PM
Bullitt Member

well I have actually got started today on trying to put something together for a write up, I am also going to put some sound insulation in the interior while I am at it, got all the interior tore out except the shifter, I will get the stock shifter back in place to help show progress then start the assembly/disassembly, I wish Tacobill lived closer, he has the bar set really high for this kind of stuff. LOL hopefully before the weekend is up I can get it done, got the GT sittin outside and its supposed to rain
Old 10/29/08, 09:43 PM
Bullitt Member

Thats great news!
Old 10/30/08, 11:15 PM
Bullitt Member

took tons of pictures, got everything out then back in, need to get all the stuff together, picts, tool list, etc. and will be able to do my write up, should definitly be done by the weekend!
Old 10/31/08, 12:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Post away my friend.
Old 10/31/08, 12:49 PM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Quick Reply: yes its a ratchet shifter!