05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

yes its a ratchet shifter!

Search this Thread

Old 9/8/08, 08:45 PM
Bullitt Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
yes its a ratchet shifter!

have just completed my install of a true ratchet shifter in my 2005 (by the way the car can be seen in this months 5.0 starting on page 66) this was a personal challenge to see if it could be done, and yes it can, I still have some final tweaking to do but will use it in it's current position for a while, there is no true functionality on these cars for a ratchet shifter as long as you have a good tune from one of the forum favorites, IMO, the coolness factor however is worth its weight in gold to me, I have had both types of the stock and IUP versions, YUK! overall it was not real hard, I played around with different positions, etc. and did some modifications to the shifter to be able to use the stock shifter cable, I will be doing some more work to it and will have some more info in the weeks to come, oh and yes I know it looks tall in the pict, but setting in the car it feels pretty good,

Old 9/8/08, 09:02 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by soitsav6
have just completed my install of a true ratchet shifter in my 2005 (by the way the car can be seen in this months 5.0 starting on page 66) this was a personal challenge to see if it could be done, and yes it can, I still have some final tweaking to do but will use it in it's current position for a while, there is no true functionality on these cars for a ratchet shifter as long as you have a good tune from one of the forum favorites, IMO, the coolness factor however is worth its weight in gold to me, I have had both types of the stock and IUP versions, YUK! overall it was not real hard, I played around with different positions, etc. and did some modifications to the shifter to be able to use the stock shifter cable, I will be doing some more work to it and will have some more info in the weeks to come, oh and yes I know it looks tall in the pict, but setting in the car it feels pretty good,

We would love to see a write-up about the install! Looks pretty nice. It looks like the rear end of the mounting plate comes over the cup holder?

Does the rubber boot stay that loose around the shifter?

Cost and link to manufacturer?

Congrats on the install. How does it feel and perform while driving?

Sorry about all the questions, inquiring minds want to know.
Old 9/8/08, 10:46 PM
Bullitt Member

its a B&M shifter, about 200.00 at autozone or kragen, I got mine used off craigslist fairly cheap, the boot isnt in its final position, I need to move the shifter forward a little to help with the boot binding up, one position the cup holder is clear and functional, I totally commited to this and have several "positioning" holes in my console now, I am gonna feel out how it does with the height for a bit then do a remount a little forward, then determine the final position, also have the heat issue from the opening I am working on, I have a solution but not the time yet, still playin around, it is fun to "hammer" the gears up and down but depending on your tune it might not make any difference, still its fun and I think when finished will obviously be a h*** of a lot better than the stock ford pos
Old 9/9/08, 12:11 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its a B&M shifter, about 200.00 at autozone or kragen, I got mine used off craigslist fairly cheap, the boot isnt in its final position, I need to move the shifter forward a little to help with the boot binding up, one position the cup holder is clear and functional, I totally commited to this and have several "positioning" holes in my console now, I am gonna feel out how it does with the height for a bit then do a remount a little forward, then determine the final position, also have the heat issue from the opening I am working on, I have a solution but not the time yet, still playin around, it is fun to "hammer" the gears up and down but depending on your tune it might not make any difference, still its fun and I think when finished will obviously be a h*** of a lot better than the stock ford pos
Please keep me informed. Thanks and good luck!
Old 9/9/08, 12:26 AM
GT Member

That's exactly the type of shifter I wanted when I first bought this car I MUST have this setup.
Old 9/9/08, 05:42 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 781 Likes on 570 Posts
cool beans
Old 9/9/08, 05:57 AM
Post *****

Received 72 Likes on 65 Posts
Old 9/9/08, 08:49 AM
NTTAWWT

Received 35 Likes on 30 Posts
looks good
Old 9/9/08, 11:00 AM
Mach 1 Member

I don't know auto Mustangs that well, but is this a performance mod or a looks mod?
Old 9/9/08, 01:00 PM
Bullitt Member

strictly cosmetic IMO, computer shiftes the auto, plus a fun project
Old 9/10/08, 04:57 PM
Mach 1 Member

possible video of it in action?
Old 9/10/08, 06:12 PM
Bullitt Member

when I get completly done I will do some more picts, as good as I can from every angle and will try a video possibly,
Old 9/15/08, 05:39 AM
Cobra Member

Subscribing
Old 10/7/08, 09:06 PM
Bullitt Member

just an FYI for any that were or might be interested, I acidently threw away my wiring diagragm sheets, I have taken more fotos of the install, made some more adjustments, etc. the shifter works great, it is an absolute blast IMO for the city driving but as I said with a good tune the shifting you can do manually is near as good IMO so this is a cosmetic mod at best, I have a car show in a couple of weeks and then will take everything back apart and try to get some valuable info put together to show how I installed this, I will say it most likely will not be for everyone, and the way I have done it which involved some mistakes and era's could certainly be improved upon. stay tuned.

one thing that as a benefit I managed to do was cut down on a lot of the heat in the console area, which is something I hope to improve even more with another layer of insulation on the bottom of the tunnel.
Old 10/7/08, 09:50 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
sweet!!!!
Old 10/7/08, 11:28 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by 302svt
Subscribing
+1

Does the ratchet work the way it's suppose to the way you have it set up?

Do you have the actual B&M part number?

Last edited by Twisted; 10/7/08 at 11:36 PM.
Old 10/7/08, 11:44 PM
Mach 1 Member

Old 10/8/08, 12:04 AM
Post *****

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
once again..

awesome as sin
Old 10/8/08, 12:28 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Twisted
+1

Does the ratchet work the way it's suppose to the way you have it set up?

Do you have the actual B&M part number?

ratcheting works just as it is supposed to, let me get back to you on the number, I dont have it in front of me right now
Old 10/8/08, 05:37 AM
Bullitt Member

ratcheting works just as it is supposed to, let me get back to you on the number, I dont have it in front of me right now
Sweet all I need is the part # and I'll figure the darn thing out.

Was it fairly easy to make the factory cable work or was it a major modification such as a new bracket for mounting the cable or modifying the existing B&M hardware ect?

You know if you get this to work out and do a write up you will be like a mini god to some of us auto guys.

Last edited by Twisted; 10/8/08 at 05:46 AM.

Quick Reply: yes its a ratchet shifter!