05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

XM vs Sirius: Which is better and why?

Search this Thread

Old 7/20/06, 10:37 AM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Burke0011
This is Riley Martin.... FRIEND to the aliens.........

I can't believe he is still on Sirius...but they say he gets more phone calls than anyone else on Sirius.

Tony D
Old 7/20/06, 11:10 AM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by jcopin
O-Qua Tangin Wann

UHH LOOK MAN.
Old 7/20/06, 01:31 PM
V6 Member

Originally Posted by jcopin
sirius is putting commercials in some of their music channels now

theyre partly owned by clear channel .. so i have nothing to do with them

I think you mean XM...

Anyway, I've got Sirius in my Mustang, and XM at home via DirecTV. I just bought a Ranger for a DD and it had a Panasonic head unit with XM, so I figured I'd give it a try for a while. After a week, I went ahead and bought a Kenwood radio and Sirius unit.

I'm a Stern fan, so that's an immediate bias. But even without Stern, I liked Sirius's programming a lot better. They have a better selection of Classic Rock and Modern Rock, NFL Radio, NBA Radio, and SEC coverage.

If you're a MLB fan though, XM is the only way to go. If you're an NFL junkie (like me), Sirius is your only choice.

Also, I couldn't grasp the channel names on XM, and still can't. It drives me nuts on the DirecTV box.

Bye for now.
Old 7/20/06, 06:41 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by RussTKD
I think you mean XM...
You are very correct. Sirius is remaining commercial free while XM is not. XM is also losing market share and Howard Stern is far from washed up in the NY market.

Oppie & Anthony is hardly competition to the King of all Media but you can think they are if you want to.

Sirius IMO is a much better service and the masses are agreeing.

Octane 20 is fricking awesome too.

-Dan
Old 7/21/06, 11:16 AM
Team Mustang Source

I'm going to have to add my vote for XM since the Sirius guys seem to be stacking this thread. I bought the XM Myfi (portable unit with built in 5 hour recording capability) and love the fact that I don't have to have multiple subscriptions to use my XM in any car I have and that I can record my favorite stations/shows and carry it into the bowels of the building where I work (where I can't see sky and get a connection to the satellite) and play it back!! I know there are players for both XM and Sirius that you can switch between cars but the Myfi is more like an ipod than those deals like the Roady and Starmate.

Sirius now has a portable player so that advantage is starting to shrink I think but I enjoy the programming on XM and I love the 80s and 90s channels and Bigtracks for my favorite music and the comedy channels have me laughing out loud during the commute.

If you want a taste of XM you can get a free trial on their website which allows you to play most of the music channels and some of the comedy and news via your computer with a broadband or other high speed connection without any obligation.

Really you probably can't go wrong with either and definitely an upgrade over most any market's local radio!!!

Good luck!
Old 7/21/06, 06:17 PM
Bullitt Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
You are very correct. Sirius is remaining commercial free while XM is not. XM is also losing market share and Howard Stern is far from washed up in the NY market.

Oppie & Anthony is hardly competition to the King of all Media but you can think they are if you want to.

Sirius IMO is a much better service and the masses are agreeing.

Octane 20 is fricking awesome too.

-Dan

Dude... How do you know about the NYC Market in CALI??? I was a Stern fan for many years, but all the crying he did for the past 2 years on KROCK was enough for me (and most people around here) to get sick of him.

Any good bits you see on Stern we taken from O&A when they were on WNEW in NYC. XM Has more customers too - the masses all agree, get yourself a RODEY and get hooked into some Ethel on XM!
Old 7/22/06, 01:12 PM
GT Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Old 7/22/06, 05:10 PM
V6 Member

but I have found on long trips that XM seems to cycle playlists over and over
This is also true on sirius, unless you listen to sirius 17 JamOn..."in the next 90 minutes you'll be hearing these 2 songs ..."
Old 7/25/06, 09:53 AM
V6 Member

ive had xm for about three years.ive driven my f250 180,000 miles since then and have loved every minute of it.xm has got the opie and anthony show and the ron and fez show.both are really great shows.
thw music channels are cool and they always have live shows and cool things going on.i cant speak for siruis,but when i looked intio satallite,xm offered more into what i wanted to hear,and they have gotten better since.no regrets.
Old 7/25/06, 02:24 PM
GT Member

Either one is much better than terrestial radio, especially in a small town like where I live.

Tony D
Old 7/26/06, 05:10 PM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by adnlyn
Sirius is better for one main reason HOWARD STERN
+1
Old 7/31/06, 12:22 PM
Mach 1 Member

So which is better if you're into modern/alternative stuff? I want to hear NEW rock, not classic stuff.
Old 8/1/06, 10:43 AM
Big Falken Tires

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KBONSIG
Any good bits you see on Stern we taken from O&A when they were on WNEW in NYC.
You can't be serious..... that's just too funny for words.......
Old 8/2/06, 08:14 AM
Mach 1 Member

Xm is dying. They have commercials on the music channels. WTF IS THE POINT OF PAYING FOR SATELLITE IF THERE IS COMMERCIALS???? They can't even give their tuners away, the music is not as good, and they don't have football. Sirus is owning xm big time! Don't waste ur money and go with xm, they are either gonna shut down or merge with sirius. Xm was better at first, but not anymore. Vhs versus betamax. I rented a cad cts for 2 weeks that had xm, and the djs on the music channels are no where near as good as sirius.
Old 8/2/06, 08:37 AM
V6 Member

So which is better if you're into modern/alternative stuff? I want to hear NEW rock, not classic stuff.
cannot vouche for XM... I had heard about the commercials on XM but heard it was only 4 out of X channels (ClearChannel stations) have commersh!

Sirius21 - AltNation (new alt-rock 1990s+) is quite good... if you listen for >4 hours straight, you will hear some repeats in playlist.
Sirius22 - 1stWave (orig alt-rock 70's-90's) is pretty good, but not NEW alternative.
Sirius26 - LeftOfCenter (college/indie rock) is very cool --- lots of NEW stuff you wont hear anywhere on terristrial radio

I have had Sirius for 18 months and have zero regrets... but to each his own. This site might help with your decision ... http://www.satelliteradiousa.com/
Old 8/2/06, 10:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

Originally Posted by lurking_in_sd
cannot vouche for XM... I had heard about the commercials on XM but heard it was only 4 out of X channels (ClearChannel stations) have commersh!

Sirius21 - AltNation (new alt-rock 1990s+) is quite good... if you listen for >4 hours straight, you will hear some repeats in playlist.
Sirius22 - 1stWave (orig alt-rock 70's-90's) is pretty good, but not NEW alternative.
Sirius26 - LeftOfCenter (college/indie rock) is very cool --- lots of NEW stuff you wont hear anywhere on terristrial radio

I have had Sirius for 18 months and have zero regrets... but to each his own. This site might help with your decision ... http://www.satelliteradiousa.com/
I've been listening to both XM and Sirius last couple days online (3-day free trial). Alt Nation and Left of Center are definitely good. I'm just wondering how much new HARD alternative they play. XM has a channel called Hard Alternative. I don't want just jangly, clever alternative, I want new rock also. You think Sirius covers that pretty well? It's hard to tell after just a day or two listening.
Old 8/2/06, 12:17 PM
V6 Member

... I'm just wondering how much new HARD alternative they play. XM has a channel called Hard Alternative. I don't want just jangly, clever alternative, I want new rock also. You think Sirius covers that pretty well? It's hard to tell after just a day or two listening.
maybe sirius20-Octane or sirius27-HardAttack might fit that bill. cannot give sterling endorsement on these /// i'm a lurker -- i dont spend too much time locking in on any one station... find myself bouncing from 21 -> 26 -> 32 -> 30 (all on the more mellow side)
Old 8/2/06, 12:43 PM
Mach 1 Member

Octane 20 is MUCH better today than yesterday seemingly. Yesterday seemed like it was mostly skateboard, in-your-face, scream-like-I'm-possessed-by-satan rock. Today - Alice In Chains, Fuel, Jane's Addiction, STP, new stuff - cool. So with Alt Nation, Left of Center, and Octane, Sirius seems like a pretty good mix.
Old 8/2/06, 01:12 PM
V6 Member

found today.... http://articles.moneycentral.msn.com...ngAProfit.aspx

... bad news for sirius investor.
Old 8/3/06, 08:55 PM
GT Member

Am I the only person on earth that thinks that the sound quality of sat radio (both XM and Sirius) sucks? Both compress the heck out their channels. Some are worse than others, but even the good ones stink. They sound like bad MP3's. I though that Sat radio's big thing was CD Quality digital. They don't push that saying anymore. I know the programming is more robust, but I just can't get past the compression. I'll stick with my iPod.

Quick Reply: XM vs Sirius: Which is better and why?