05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

what harness for shaker 1000 replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 1/4/10, 04:36 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
what harness for shaker 1000 replacement?

I've looked through so many of the HU replacement threads my brain is starting to hurt and I'm more confused now then I was when I started. What harness do I need when replacing the shaker 1000 and still keeping the rest of the system stock. Crutchfield says I need a $130 harness for any after market unit. Some on here have used some metra $15 dollor ones but changed other things along the way. I don't have a problem splicing wires as I've done installs before but never seen one that seems so complicated. Just want the door subs and trunk subs to work independently like they do now.
The following users liked this post:
Tonio Montana (4/7/20)
Old 1/9/10, 10:14 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The reason it is so tough is the Shaker 1000 AMPS that are in the back. Most people toss out the whole system and rewire everything with new Amps and new subs with a different box. If i were you i would stick with the one that crutchfield sells if you just want to trade your HU and only the HU.
Old 1/14/10, 07:13 PM
V6 Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi,
I just did this when I replaced my Shaker 1000 with a Pioneer Fh-p800bt. I had the same issue when I thought I needed that $130 harness as suggested by Crutchfield. YOU DO NOT NEED THIS. The Metra units work great, and that's what I used - as does everyone else. Perfect install.
I ended up going through Sonic Electronix. You pick your HU and they get you everything you need with it like Crutchfield. In addition, if you live in Calif like me you get two day shipping.

Originally Posted by ETNOATS
I've looked through so many of the HU replacement threads my brain is starting to hurt and I'm more confused now then I was when I started. What harness do I need when replacing the shaker 1000 and still keeping the rest of the system stock. Crutchfield says I need a $130 harness for any after market unit. Some on here have used some metra $15 dollor ones but changed other things along the way. I don't have a problem splicing wires as I've done installs before but never seen one that seems so complicated. Just want the door subs and trunk subs to work independently like they do now.
Old 1/18/10, 04:07 PM
Team Mustang Source

being that my AVIC-F700BT was my first do-it-yourself headunit install I bought the 130 harness. While you may not need it, it is labeled very clearly as to what wire goes where and made the installation for a n00b (me) simple and straightforward.

If I was more experienced perhaps I would have purchased the cheaper Metra unit, but I was and am satisfied with the harness from Crutchfield. For me it was worth the 130.

Not to mention that once you spend more than 120 or 125 dollars with Crutchfield you get their support, which came in handy at 3pm on a Sunday trying to make sure the harness and amps were all working and actually talking to someone on the phone who knew what needed to be spliced where.

Last edited by habu; 1/18/10 at 04:09 PM.
Old 1/18/10, 06:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by albireo
Hi,
I just did this when I replaced my Shaker 1000 with a Pioneer Fh-p800bt. I had the same issue when I thought I needed that $130 harness as suggested by Crutchfield. YOU DO NOT NEED THIS. The Metra units work great, and that's what I used - as does everyone else. Perfect install.
I ended up going through Sonic Electronix. You pick your HU and they get you everything you need with it like Crutchfield. In addition, if you live in Calif like me you get two day shipping.
How is the labeling on the metra?, thats my biggest concern. I dont have a problem splicing the wires, but want to make sure I get the right ones spliced. Did you get a resistor to stop the turn on pop? The pioneer is one of the ones Im considering unless I bump up my budget.