05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Vinyl Wrapped

Search this Thread

Old 9/19/14, 12:22 PM
Cobra Member

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
I got it from a member that used to be here (Travelers). Ran into him up at Tillman Speed outside Philly and he had some extra. I don't remember where he got it from...it was one of those fevers that was hitting the forums around '07. Everyone had to get welting and there was this one vendor most people were getting it from. Can't remember

You gave me the magic word welting. Thankx
Old 9/19/14, 12:23 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Thinking about this a little more, if I had any tips for someone trying it for the first time:
  1. Patience. Give yourself a couple hours for each peice. Some (like switch panels) don't take that long, but prepare yourself
    Don't prep w/ alcohol. It's been said in other threads --the stock interior is actually painted/coated. Alcohol definitely messes it up (I'd probably need to paint my switchplates if I ever take the vinyl off). Dish soap seems to be OK
  2. Prep is key. Just like paint, any dirt or debris is going to show through so take your time and do a good wipe down. Work in a clean area with plenty of space and no wind.
    Check for any nicks or scratches in the plastic before you begin and level out if possible. It will show through. I didn't realize it, but even small nicks can have high edges
  3. Get a heat gun. A hair dryer isn't going to cut it. It blows too much air and doesn't get hot enough. Plus heat guns are around $10 and HFT and they're useful for more than you'd think.
    the heat obviously softens the vinyl, but it also makes it shrink back to normal so you can use it to undo warp-age to a point
  4. Don't over heat the vinyl, it'll tear/melt
  5. Complete dissasembly for best results. To make sure you can get the vinyl into all those corners and gaps around switches and bezels, just take it all apart. The center stack comes apart a lot easier than you'd think (except maybe the cigarette lighter). Most of it just snaps in place
  6. Start from the top and work your way down.
  7. If the vinyl's wrinkling around corners, stretch it around the corner. You'd be surprised how well this works.
  8. Youtube it. Someone else has already done it, see what they did.
  9. Practice on something small first like a diecast car
  10. Order more than you think you'll need.
Old 9/26/14, 04:56 PM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 130 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by Cavero
Thanks! Interesting idea. Got any pics? I dunno if it'd stick to my mirrors, I've detailed the hell out of them. I'm willing to bet I've got about 1/4 bottle of Back to Black permanently soaked into the plastic.
Here you go. Some pics of my side mirrors.

Think I'm going to take most of it off and plasti-dip it black.
Old 9/26/14, 09:05 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 128 Likes on 101 Posts
Originally Posted by VGMStudios
Here you go. Some pics of my side mirrors.

Think I'm going to take most of it off and plasti-dip it black.
Yeah it looks pretty cool on its own but at the same time I can see where you're coming from that it.