05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Urgent Help - Won't start after stereo install !

Search this Thread

Old 5/4/06, 06:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Urgent Help - Won't start after stereo install !

Hello all

Need some urgent help please, I don't know what I have done but my Stang won't start now, basicly I have been trying to install a Pioneer head unit and until now all has been going well.

I had it all in place and everything was working but I tried to put the air con facia on after what I thought was a sucsessful install and now the car won't start!

When I turn the key I get a buzzing and all the display dial needles try to go the wrong way, I did get a message about checking brake system appear on my display at one point! I have taken the stereo out of line now but its not made any difference, I last turned the car over yesterday afternoon and it went fine, I just don't get what could of happened.

I am in a panic and just don't know where to turn, can anyone please help me!

Any advice much appricated!

Thank you

Stuart
Old 5/4/06, 06:32 AM

It gets worse, now when I put the key in and turn it there is a fast ticking sound each and all the display lights on the dash flash on and off [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Help please!
Old 5/4/06, 07:11 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(outatime @ May 4, 2006, 7:35 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
It gets worse, now when I put the key in and turn it there is a fast ticking sound each and all the display lights on the dash flash on and off [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/sad.gif[/img]

Help please!
[/b][/quote]
Check your battery connections make sure they are secured and making good contact and that the battery is not dead.
Old 5/4/06, 07:21 AM
Team Mustang Source

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Yep, battery sounds dead to me also..
Old 5/4/06, 07:43 AM
Mach 1 Member

Im interested to hear what it was. I say battery too but the needles going the wrong way seems odd.
Old 5/4/06, 07:45 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ May 4, 2006, 8:46 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I say battery too but the needles going the wrong way seems odd.
[/b][/quote]
Seems like I had another car that did that when the battery went dead, gauges tried to go backwards. Maybe they all do at start-up but we don't really notice it since as soon as it does start they rocket up. ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
Old 5/4/06, 07:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OKCMustangGT @ May 4, 2006, 8:48 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Seems like I had another car that did that when the battery went dead, gauges tried to go backwards. Maybe they all do at start-up but we don't really notice it since as soon as it does start they rocket up. ? [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

That was the only thing i could think of as well.
Old 5/4/06, 12:11 PM
GT Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ May 4, 2006, 8:50 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
That was the only thing i could think of as well.
[/b][/quote]

Make sure you haven't grounded the "hot" lead to the frame.

As far as gauges going backwards, mine has since day one when you first turn the key to start.
Old 5/4/06, 05:50 PM

Thank you all for your help, put the battery charger on it whilst I cooled down and it worked, thank god for that, I nearly s**t a brick!

Pioneer all installed and working well too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again.
Old 5/4/06, 06:56 PM
Shelby GT350 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(outatime @ May 4, 2006, 6:53 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Thank you all for your help, put the battery charger on it whilst I cooled down and it worked, thank god for that, I nearly s**t a brick!

Pioneer all installed and working well too [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]

Thanks again.
[/b][/quote]
Great glad we could help. [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/smile.gif[/img]
Old 5/5/06, 09:25 AM
Mach 1 Member

Cool...scary huh
Old 5/21/06, 09:19 AM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
These S197s are a bit picky, no? I had the same kind of soil pants moment when I installed the control circuit for my driving lights.

Basically, to make the driving lights (replaced the fogs) work correctly, I had to interface directly to the factory fog light switch. Because this switch is nothing more than a pull down to an input on the SMB, I created a small, very high input impedence interface box to allow me to tap that signal without impacting it.

The install went perfectly and everything was working exactly like it should. The next morning, I came out to wrap up (a few interior panels left to install and clean up). When I tried to start it up to back it out of the garage, it did the exact same thing as yours!

My FIRST assumption was that I had just drained the battery with all the playing around I was doing the previous day. A quick charge had everything up and running, so I was relieved. Temporarily.

I quickly noticed that things were not QUITE right. The accessory delay was not working correctly. And I eventually figured out that it was NOT turning off the accessories (or anything else) at all. If I didn't drive the car every day, it would drain the battery.

The root cause was the interface circuit. It STILL had to much of a load on the input to the SJB. The instant I cut the wire to the interface, all was well with my car (And you KNOW how relieved I was!). I went back to the drawing board and designed a slightly different interface board that CMOS and FULLY buffered at the inputs WITH there own pull up resistors. It also gave me a chance to really clean up the board design and get this thing down to a 3/4" square PC board...

Needless to say, the new board did the trick! My lights work perfectly and the accessory delay is also doing it's job just like Ford intended. The moral of this story is that the S197 is VERY sensitive at the electronics and EVERYTHING is interfaced to the electronics! My guess is that either A) during the install you had some line from the computer (or SJB) floating high or grounded (depending) and this caused it to have everything on while you were working on the car which drained the battery or, B) you STILL have a load on some line to the computer and it IS draining the battery. If it is A), then you should be good to go. If it is B), you will go out some morning and TRY to start it. The cussing starts just about the time the engine DOESN'T!