05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Upgrading Shaker 500 System

Search this Thread

Old 7/16/13, 08:12 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Upgrading Shaker 500 System

I am putting together a setup to upgrading my stock Shaker 500 system, so that I can get BT and other nice upgrades. I want to tuck the single din HU behind the panel and put a Nexus 7 tablet in front.

I am looking at the following components

Sony MET-GS600BT - Has App Remote so that the tablet can control
some function of the HU

6x6 speakers - Pioneer TS-D6802R for front and rear
Shelby Kicker 8" door subs

Now I have seen a lot of discussion on amps and I am wondering if I should put an amp in to properly power the speakers/subs. I like the Shelby 4.1 amp since it is nice and small and I can hide it under the dash. I am not looking a putting in a trunk sub yet or even ever. I just want it to sound good.

Is the Shelby amp worth getting, or is there something else I should look at doing?
Old 7/20/13, 07:42 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Yes, definitely get an amp. As far as the kicker amp goes, you can do a lot better for the $500 price tag. You could get two decent after market or one really good one for that price. Only good thing about the Shelby one is that it is small and easy to hide/ integrates with the stock system(which doesn't matter since you are replacing the HU). Besides that it is horribly overpriced.

There are a few ways you could do it:
1. Get 1 powerful 4ch. Run the fronts and rears off front channels, run the subs off the rear channels.(Relevance:I am doing this in my car)
1b. run the fronts off the front channels. Run the subs off the rear channels, run the rears off the HU.
2. Get a 2 or 4ch. for the speakers. Get a separate amp for the door subs.

Last edited by 05PRMTX; 7/20/13 at 07:49 PM.
Old 7/21/13, 06:34 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
how would you run the door subs off of the rears? I am looking into a good 4ch for the front/rear speakers. Could you run another amp for the door subs and the trunk sub or is that not good?
Old 7/22/13, 03:40 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by SeanD
how would you run the door subs off of the rears? I am looking into a good 4ch for the front/rear speakers. Could you run another amp for the door subs and the trunk sub or is that not good?
All depends on the amps. What I was talking about with running door subs off the rears is: you would run the front and/or rear speakers off the front channels of your amplifier. You would then use the rear channels of your amplifier to run the door subs. This works well because you can use the crossover on the amp to set what frequencies you want the door subs to play between. You dont really want the door subs playing like actual subwoofers because they don't replicate the really low frequencies well in the door enclosures. They're just not sturdy enough. You want them covering mid bass mostly if you are going to have a trunk subwoofer. This setup also also allows you to use two amps for the whole system instead of 3.

To answer the multiamp question. I wouldn't run the door subs off of the same amplifier you are going to use for the subwoofer in the trunk. If you think about it, do you really want the same power and frequencies going to the door subs as to the giant subwoofer in the trunk?