The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums

The Mustang Source - Ford Mustang Forums (https://themustangsource.com/forums/)
-   05-09 Interior and Audio Mods (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/)
-   -   Upgrade your console armrest to leather or Alcantara (https://themustangsource.com/forums/f692/upgrade-your-console-armrest-leather-alcantara-503857/)

Nunja Business 2/9/13 09:33 PM

Can the armrest cover be "extended" a bit when you recover it?
I am 5'10" and I drive with the seat pretty far forward, so I find that my right elbow naturally hits right on the edge of the thing while driving. I believe 1/2 inch or so would make it much more comfortable and usable as an actual armrest. I don't think that much would interfere with the drink holder or cover latch.

What do you think?

amustangrocks 2/10/13 09:16 AM

the only thing i can think of is you would have to fabricate a "skin", maybe a pc of sheet metal or something similar (fiberglass or carbon fiber) and thin to attach to the lid that would fit the top of the lid and stick out the 1/2" for support.

we could make the cover 1/2" longer and the frt flap would still wrap under like it does now.

it would have to follow the frt edge on the top and sides. then the other part of that would be attaching it to the lid. (maybe epoxy) cause its just a plastic skin as it is with injected foam as far as i can tell, but i have not cut into one. if it was sheet metal cover skin, you could braze some pins that would go through the lid and through the bottom plate to bolt it together.

RMB427R 2/17/13 06:31 PM

I just installed this on my Roush. It looks amazing as the blue thread matches the seats perfectly, and the total time from start to finish was about 15 minutes.
The hardest part was installing the lid as I kept dropping the screws!

This cover is awesome and I highly recomment these folks!!

amustangrocks 2/17/13 10:16 PM

4 Attachment(s)
thanks RMB. glad your diggin it. we think it is the best leather cover for the money hands down. i`m still rolling with the original smooth leather we started with and its still very nice after 40,000 dd miles. the aftermarket pebble is also nice and has been most selected choice since we got it. the alcantara is in a class of its own.

it took 2 years but we finally just got the ford OEM matching seat leather in stock in charcoal and parchment. we just made the first charcoal cover with it and i have to say this is some nice leather. its a little heavier than the aftermarket leather, has a very uniform grain and matches the seats so perfect that its gonna look like it came with the oem leather interior. hang tight if your thinking about a dove gray or crimson red, hoping to get those in the near future. this material will cost a little more, but its a awesome option.

SeanD 2/18/13 08:28 AM

Sorry the picture didn't come with the quote. I am referring to Post #85.

What is the thread color on this picture? I just installed the GT500 Alcantara/leather wheel and it has either a white or silver stitching on it (hard to tell the difference). I am going to place an order fir the Charcoal Alcantara with Option 1 leather, since this pretty much matches my steering wheel and the Recard seats.

Originally Posted by amustangrocks (Post 6538870)
thanks jerry i think you`ll be happy. heres a couple customer pics of some alcantara

amustangrocks 2/18/13 03:54 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by SeanD (Post 6557037)
Sorry the picture didn't come with the quote. I am referring to Post #85.

What is the thread color on this picture? I just installed the GT500 Alcantara/leather wheel and it has either a white or silver stitching on it (hard to tell the difference). I am going to place an order fir the Charcoal Alcantara with Option 1 leather, since this pretty much matches my steering wheel and the Recard seats.

that was silver on that alcantara. it is really close to looking like the white. as a single stitch line its really hard to tell. rolled up on the spool you can see the difference. i can get a sample in the mail....

geh4 2/18/13 05:10 PM

Do I just take off my stock arm rest cover and put this on? Or do I have to go to a place to put a leather one on?

RMB427R 2/18/13 07:17 PM

^The new cover slips over your existing. When it's finished, you cannot tell. There is even a little extra padding.
You'll love it.

amustangrocks 2/18/13 08:47 PM

we made the parts as user friendly as we can for the DIY person. not everyone is a DIY person and might want to seek a little help but most of the installs are medium skill levels. there are some directions, tips and a short video on the website for the armrest covers and other parts
http://www.amustangrocksleather.com/How_to_Install.html
we highly recommend everyone looking at the install methods, especially about removing the console and sharp metal to watch out for. theres some real good tips.

SeanD 2/18/13 09:52 PM

Finally placed my order for the padded alcantara/leather armrest cover, 3/4 alcantara/leather e-brake, and the alcantara shift boot.

Can't wait to get them installed!

Thanks Mike for all your help.

Sean

amustangrocks 2/18/13 11:24 PM

Originally Posted by SeanD (Post 6557528)
Finally placed my order for the padded alcantara/leather armrest cover, 3/4 alcantara/leather e-brake, and the alcantara shift boot.

Can't wait to get them installed!

Thanks Mike for all your help.

Sean

your welcome and thank you sean. i really like making these parts, they look so sweet.

45thallglass09 2/21/13 08:26 PM

that alcantara is hotttttttt:metal::metal::metal::metal:

geh4 2/22/13 06:13 AM

Does just this company's armrest cover slip on or do all armrest covers just slip on?

amustangrocks 2/23/13 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by geh4 (Post 6559604)
Does just this company's armrest cover slip on or do all armrest covers just slip on?

dont know about all the other covers out there, but our 05-09 armrest cover is a custom fitted (as all our parts are) complete cover that we designed and its padded. our leather is real automotive aftermarket and OEM leather or Alcantara with commercial grade padding and it goes on like a sock, is made to fit the lid perfectly then the frt flap completely encloses it.

as for the others, theres the vinyl covers that have the logos which are just a flat skin that you have to wrap around and attach with glue, strings and/or staples, and my over seas competitor has elastic around it and fits on over the lid like a shower cap. theres a cover that comes on a lid that you just bolt on, and also has the shelby logo, not really sure of the material (the shelby cobras with the leather armrests and dash boards are really vinyl as with most of fords leather interiors) but a member on here said that cover was real leather. that lid/cover is $300 and the turn around time is 6-8 weeks. in most cases our turn around time is about a week.

hope that clears up a little bit, but hope others that have something different will post up. i`m always interested whats out there :)

amustangrocks 2/27/13 03:56 PM

I added a customer photo page to the website. first crack at it so i might have to make some changes, and i`m trying to get the site more organized so bear with me. but i had a few pics saved just for this reason. if you have any pics i can add, post them up or email them to me. if i missed a posted pic maybe let me know which post# and i`ll grab it.:metal: if i used a pic anyone doesnt want me to use, i`ll be glad to remove it. thanks, mike
http://www.amustangrocksleather.com/...er_Photos.html

SeanD 2/27/13 04:15 PM

Link isn't working.

amustangrocks 2/27/13 04:56 PM

thanks sean, i think i fixed it :nice:

amustangrocks 3/4/13 10:31 AM

1 Attachment(s)
ive been real happy with my original aftermarket smooth leather armrest cover for almost 3 years but decided to go with the oem charcoal on my armrest. its not as soft as the aftermarkets but looks like it came with the seats. you can see it still hasnt relaxed yet, just put it on in this pic.

amustangrocks 3/17/13 01:20 PM

1 Attachment(s)
getting back at it, and lots going on this week. thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers through some tough times.

we are gonna drop the #1 aftermarket smooth grain leather option and replace it with the 10+ oem smooth grain leather for the 05-09 covers and parts. i think this will go great for alot of people wanting to match aftermarket seats ect. we will still have some of the original #1 if someone needs to match a prior part.

great news on the 05-09 vinyl covers. we only offered the aftermarket smooth grain vinyl for people wanting the padded cover but not able to afford the leather. the price is getting bumped just a tad but we are dropping that aftermarket material and will offer the oem charcoal black and oem parchment pebble grains and the oem charcoal black smooth grain from the 10+ cars. this is the material your back seats and half the buckets are made from. this will be a great option to get the factory look with top grade material for alot less cash. should have the oem dove gray vinyl in a couple weeks.

i just ordered a brand new gt500 leather/ alcantara steering wheel thats priced right now for $162 after a member here posted this link on 10-13 forum. shipping was another $17. if i can make it work i`m gonna replace my basic plastic wheel in my 05. just thought i would share this link in case you guys missed it.
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter....00-p-1231.html

heres the new oem vinyls for the armrest covers. i cannot tell the difference in looks between the vinyl and the leather with the parts sitting on the bench.

SeanD 3/17/13 06:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Just did the steering wheel swap on it and it looks great with your Alcantara/Leather combos. The swap is easy and supposedly you can get the radio controls working also with the stock Shaker 500/1000 radios. I have all the necessary pieces, just need some time with the car to get it done.

Here is a picture from last weekend Detroit Autorama.

Attachment 201039

Originally Posted by amustangrocks (Post 6578327)
getting back at it, and lots going on this week. thanks to everyone for your thoughts and prayers through some tough times.

we are gonna drop the #1 aftermarket smooth grain leather option and replace it with the 10+ oem smooth grain leather for the 05-09 covers and parts. i think this will go great for alot of people wanting to match aftermarket seats ect. we will still have some of the original #1 if someone needs to match a prior part.

great news on the 05-09 vinyl covers. we only offered the aftermarket smooth grain vinyl for people wanting the padded cover but not able to afford the leather. the price is getting bumped just a tad but we are dropping that aftermarket material and will offer the oem charcoal black and oem parchment pebble grains and the oem charcoal black smooth grain from the 10+ cars. this is the material your back seats and half the buckets are made from. this will be a great option to get the factory look with top grade material for alot less cash. should have the oem dove gray vinyl in a couple weeks.

i just ordered a brand new gt500 leather/ alcantara steering wheel thats priced right now for $162 after a member here posted this link on 10-13 forum. shipping was another $17. if i can make it work i`m gonna replace my basic plastic wheel in my 05. just thought i would share this link in case you guys missed it.
http://www.levittownfordsupercenter....00-p-1231.html

heres the new oem vinyls for the armrest covers