05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

"Traditional" Tru-Billet Interior Handles Ready!!

Search this Thread

Old 12/27/06, 07:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool No biggie, just trying to make sure I want to wait for the deluxe versions, I really like the traditional, but I am sure the deluxe will be just that, deluxeeeeeeeeeee. So I am sure a pic will let me know which I want to do. Thanks for the great stuff marcello, I can wait until you have time. why are you not taking vacation. This time of year only comes once. I promise I wont buy anything for at least a week, LOL. cya
Old 12/27/06, 08:24 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The reason for no long vacation is that when you're the little fish in a big sea, you have to work harder, faster, and better than the other fish to make sure you can grow up to be a big fish FWIW, I did stay away from the computers for at least a couple days there.

Anyway, "work" is relative - if you enjoy what you are doing, then it doesn't feel like work, it's just what you want to do, and the end result normally shows it. If you're doing the job just because it is "work" then that normally shows too....
Old 12/27/06, 06:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What does a pro golfer do on his day off? Make cabinets, no he plays golf.
Old 12/27/06, 08:41 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Doug about nailed it - even though this is a lot of work, and the staff is here and there and not anywhere to be found at the moment, I have a lot of fun doing this stuff, so it's not "work" in that sense.

I did have a few "work" things crop up this week that were unexpected though, and today was a very short day in the machine shop. Hopefully Friday will be a full day and we can wrap at least one side of the deluxe handles for everyone to see. What I've seen I like if that's worth anything...
Old 12/27/06, 11:09 PM
Cobra Member

Heh, the dealer isnt so bad, you just have to find the right one.

Anyways, I got my stuff in today and they look awesome. It may be 40* outside but im going to install them anyways.

-Dan
Old 12/28/06, 08:52 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Oh good, take the camera and do a write-up of the install since I haven't had a a chance yet! I'm headed to the machine shop right now, one of the lathes is down and needs attention...

Seriously, I'm sorry I don't have the directions done yet, there just hasn't been time to sit down and do the normal write-up that I like to do on them, and the weekend weather around here has not been helpful. Maybe this weekend?
Old 12/28/06, 03:29 PM
Cobra Member

im at work doing 3 car deals while trying to take apart the driverside door. Since I didnt have a working shop cd on me last night it toook me a while to find out how to pull the passengerside apart.

I'll post some steps as a find time later in the day/evening. It isnt so bad once ya know.

I installed the medalion though and it looks hot!!!

-Dan
Old 12/28/06, 08:01 PM
Cobra Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
Heh, the dealer isnt so bad, you just have to find the right one.

Anyways, I got my stuff in today and they look awesome. It may be 40* outside but im going to install them anyways.

-Dan
Poor thing. I'm waiting for it to get UP to 40* so I can adjust my exhaust. A 10* concrete floor and a human back don't mesh well.

On topic- Another good-looking product, Marcello. I expect to make a goodly sized order from you. It's nice to see some things done a little differently now and then.
Old 12/28/06, 08:17 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Thanks guys, I should have the directions done later tonight, just got most of it all together now.

40 degrees? What is that, in celcius or something? I had the A/C on Christmas day because it was 82 and humid... Although a little cool air is nice, and we finally got a front through that made it more tolerable.

Also, anyone waiting for chrome, we just got more back today, so I'll be catching up anyone we missed in the past couple days.

** On edit**

RedBullet - your idea will be moving forward, as soon as we can source or figure out the clip part. First set has your name on it

Also, just a teaser for 2007 - I don't like the handle covers on the market - they look to big and tend to scratch the side bolster. I'll let you figure out the rest of what I have in mind...
Old 12/28/06, 09:59 PM
Cobra Member

fine, I'll just add what tools you guys need...

Needle Nose pliers
6mm socket (ratcheting socket wrench and extension a plus)
a torx driver (perhaps like size 30, please confirm Marcello)
a flat head screwdriver or other small pry tool

oh yeah, your hands

-Dan
Old 12/28/06, 10:53 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SilverHorseRacing
T... I had the A/C on Christmas day because it was 82 and humid... Although a little cool air is nice, and we finally got a front through that made it more tolerable...
YAWN!!, Just another day in paradise.

From the rocket ranch

BB

Semper Fi
Old 12/28/06, 11:11 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Dan, you got me laughing over here!

I forgot to include the hands.... what was I thinking!?!

LOL, anyway, I attached the directions as a 154k PDF, and I'll get them up on the website in a few minutes. I tried to take some shortcuts like can be done on the 94-04 cars, but on these, no dice. The door panel has to come off, I couldn't come up with a way around it. There's also the relevant section of the factory manual on this site, so having that around would be helpful too. Since you did it Dan, is there anything you would add to what I've got here? I want to make sure I didn't miss anything in the rush to get these printed up, seeing as there are about 10 sets out there w/o directions at the moment...

HTH!!

Bob, Rocket Ranch, eh? Are you up there by the cape? We're about 45 min. south, well, at least we were before all this traffic came to the area...hope you missed the fun of the Tornados and stuff the other day - seems like it was on the normal I-4 corridor destruction fest like Charley was.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
5104 handle directions.pdf (154.5 KB, 180 views)
Old 12/28/06, 11:33 PM
Cobra Member

maybe include to make sure that the 2 door panel hooks are in position behind the sheet metal of the door shell prior to buttoning her back up. Other than that, you dont really have to remove the lock pin cup.

-Dan
Old 12/28/06, 11:49 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Originally Posted by Cleveland
Other than that, you dont really have to remove the lock pin cup.

-Dan

You will if you're planning on replacing it too! LOL - But I didn't say anything...

Seriously, thanks. I'll make a couple of changes to it, just to clarify things a bit in a few days, including making sure to clip it back in right. These directions, unlike the ones I did for the honeycomb panel, are not "wife installer" approved. I guess they eventually should be. (And no offense to her, she's just not the mechanic in the family, that's all.)

(You know if I didn't put in the disclaimer and she read this I would've gotten a good whack over the head for it...)
Old 12/29/06, 12:42 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Nice touch with the Safety Goggles bit
Old 12/29/06, 12:47 AM
Legacy Tms Member

Prying+cheap tools=pieces can fly, hence safety goggles.

Anyway, I started wearing them years ago when I got over the "coolness" of being under a car without them. You only get dirt in your eyes from the suspension so many times before you either learn or go blind...
Old 12/29/06, 12:51 AM
Shelby GT350 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Prying+cheap tools=pieces can fly, hence safety goggles.

Anyway, I started wearing them years ago when I got over the "coolness" of being under a car without them. You only get dirt in your eyes from the suspension so many times before you either learn or go blind...
Fair enough, I'm not one to use them while working on a car, but I appreciate their use. I've had many big rocks whack the goggles while using unshielded grass trimmers.
Old 12/29/06, 08:40 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
... Bob, Rocket Ranch, eh? Are you up there by the cape? We're about 45 min. south, well, at least we were before all this traffic came to the area...hope you missed the fun of the Tornados and stuff the other day - seems like it was on the normal I-4 corridor destruction fest like Charley was.
Yep , I'm in North Brevard so they missed us by about 45 miles though channel 13 was saying there were some areas of serious rotation just west of us along the St. Johns.

Do you have a photo of the final install?

From the rocket ranch

BB

Semper Fi
Old 12/29/06, 04:21 PM
Legacy Tms Member

Just the ones we did on the car / spare door in the pictures. If the weather is good this weekend, I'll try to knock out an install on my own car, so that I can then take 100 different pictures of it "on car" - but I was basically waiting until I had the deluxe piece done to install them instead - we'll see...
Old 12/31/06, 08:48 PM
Bullitt Member

Some tips on removing and installing the handle.

Remove Switch Plate as an ASSEMBLY by gently prying underneath housing and pull straight out. With the Upgraded Door Panels, you could tear the perforated insert by pulling up on the switch.

To remove the cable from the handle, use some needle nose pliers to compress the two lock taps securing the cable to the housing. While compressed use slight pressure on cable and slide cable from bezel. Once removed from bezel, lift cable end out of handle.

To install cable, put cable end in handle and slide thru slot and insert lock tabs thru hole in bezel.

After removing the spring,

swing the handle to the open position. On the inside, GENTLY lift the tap to allow the handle to open a little more and the pins will line up with the groove in the handle and come off much easier.

Install in the same fashion, gently lift the tab and align the pins with the slots in the handle and slide in.

Don't forget to lube the cavities on the new handle for the pins and spring. This is what I had handy.

When Completed

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Door Trim Panel.pdf (156.1 KB, 308 views)

Quick Reply: "Traditional" Tru-Billet Interior Handles Ready!!