05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Stereo with memory card slot

Search this Thread

Old 7/3/07, 08:17 PM
Tasca Super Boss 429 Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stereo with memory card slot

I came across this stereo at Crutchfields. Kind of a cool idea. Instead of sweating having an Ipod connection, just use a SD memory card that you put in the slot of the stereo. SD (secure digital) go up to 4 gig or more in size these days.

Slip an SD card loaded with MP3 and WMA files into the Melbourne's handy front panel slot, or use the front-panel auxiliary input to connect your portable music player or plug-and-play satellite radio.

Here's a link, has anybody used something like this?

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-dDYR4fY...023MELBOUR#Tab
Attached Images  
Old 7/3/07, 08:29 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts
On a related note I am interested in this too..... or even a USB input so I could carry a couple 2g memory sticks instead of 2 dozen cd's.
Old 7/3/07, 09:44 PM

Yeah, I was thinking maybe just get a stereo with a USB input and get a memory card reader from a computer store and put it in there. But, this is already build in!

You could probably carry a couple of four gig SD cards that would equal a dozen CD-R CD's. And not have to worry about your I-pod getting stolen or damaged in your car......

Here's a press release

http://www.bosch-presse.de/TBWebDB/e...arch=1&id=3170

Originally Posted by tom281
On a related note I am interested in this too..... or even a USB input so I could carry a couple 2g memory sticks instead of 2 dozen cd's.
Old 7/3/07, 11:45 PM
Cobra Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hell, I'm going to go one better. The JVC http://www.crutchfield.com/S-z6GdByX...50&I=105AVX800
has a rear USB port that will control a computer hard drive. An external enclosure and HUGE drive are cheap and can be tucked nearly anywhere. It just so happens that hard drives are 12v, too.
Old 7/4/07, 07:21 AM
Legacy TMS Member

That sounds really cool but from reading the details, I'm not sure that it is really so much of a controller than just the same style of input that I referred to.... from the Crutchfield link you provided:

USB Input: A USB port is attached to the rear panel by a 4' cable. This allows you to play USB mass storage devices loaded with MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, DivX, MPEG, or JPEG files. For the unit to recognize the USB medium, it must be specified as a mass storage device formatted using FAT 12, FAT 16, or FAT 32. A USB cap is supplied to place over the USB input when it's not in use.

Can you buy a seperate hard drive and format it that way? Maybe you can, I don't know.....
Old 7/4/07, 09:03 AM
Bullitt Member

That sounds really cool but from reading the details, I'm not sure that it is really so much of a controller than just the same style of input that I referred to.... from the Crutchfield link you provided:

USB Input: A USB port is attached to the rear panel by a 4' cable. This allows you to play USB mass storage devices loaded with MP3, WMA, WAV, AAC, DivX, MPEG, or JPEG files. For the unit to recognize the USB medium, it must be specified as a mass storage device formatted using FAT 12, FAT 16, or FAT 32. A USB cap is supplied to place over the USB input when it's not in use.

Can you buy a seperate hard drive and format it that way? Maybe you can, I don't know.....
you should be able to just buy any external hard drive, format it to FAT32, and plug it right it. Hell, considering how cheap you can get external HDD's now, you could have 500 gigs in your car easy.
Old 7/4/07, 09:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Thanks Infinity and OdiousBarbarian, you're getting me very excited LOL!

While we're on this topic, any head with a USB input should be able to do this too, shouldn't it? Just like it would normally read a memory stick / etc., as long as the hard drive was formatted correctly it should just plug right in shouldn't it?
Old 7/4/07, 09:47 AM

I would guess so. That's what the Kenwood Keg system was, but it was high dollar. I think you can get a 120 Gig HD for about fifty bucks or less.

I was thinking of just connecting it to a flash card reader. Those are really cheap, plus they have no moving parts!

What that below? Banana ****?

Thanks Infinity and OdiousBarbarian, you're getting me very excited LOL!

While we're on this topic, any head with a USB input should be able to do this too, shouldn't it? Just like it would normally read a memory stick / etc., as long as the hard drive was formatted correctly it should just plug right in shouldn't it?
Old 7/4/07, 09:50 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I guess the bananas were excited too..... however I did remove them to avoid any conflicts with future readers. How's this?
Old 7/4/07, 10:37 AM

OK, I don't care, but Brad might have.......

Here's a close up pic that the Blaupunkt SD card deck. Looks cool, just not sure if I want to pull out a brand new stereo out of my new Mustang?

I guess the bananas were excited too..... however I did remove them to avoid any conflicts with future readers. How's this?
Attached Thumbnails Stereo with memory card slot-melbourne-sd27-2.jpg  
Old 7/4/07, 01:17 PM
GTR Member

that Blaupunc is sweet. How much?
Old 7/4/07, 01:30 PM

Only $150 at Crutchfield, click the link in the first post. They are the only ones to have it right now since it's so new.

Here's another model that has a SD/MMC slot behind the fold down face plate, but it's $399. It has more features though.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-CuHWvyk...0&I=023MEMMP66

Originally Posted by Boltzman
that Blaupunc is sweet. How much?
Old 7/4/07, 03:12 PM
Cobra Member

Not all units will control the HDD. They have to have software programming in the deck to be able to read a mass storage device. I'm gathering a list of units that can do it. Crutchfield is testing some that they have to have the info. I know the JVC works, and some of the Pioneers, and the newer Kenwoods.
Old 7/4/07, 07:33 PM

That's good info to know. I'd hate to get a unit thinking it would hook up to a HD when it won't......

Originally Posted by Infinity
Not all units will control the HDD. They have to have software programming in the deck to be able to read a mass storage device. I'm gathering a list of units that can do it. Crutchfield is testing some that they have to have the info. I know the JVC works, and some of the Pioneers, and the newer Kenwoods.
Old 7/4/07, 07:59 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by OdiousBarbarian
you should be able to just buy any external hard drive, format it to FAT32, and plug it right it. Hell, considering how cheap you can get external HDD's now, you could have 500 gigs in your car easy.
My little Western Digital HD (called the passport) comes formatted FAT32 from the factory and the cord plugs right into the USB without a power cord. It is so small it fits in my shirt pocket and is available with up to 160GB. I got my 60GB for $35 after rebates.
Old 7/4/07, 09:28 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by Infinity
Originally Posted by karman
My little Western Digital HD (called the passport) comes formatted FAT32 from the factory and the cord plugs right into the USB without a power cord. It is so small it fits in my shirt pocket and is available with up to 160GB. I got my 60GB for $35 after rebates.

Wow great info guys, thanks alot! Infinity, when you can please post your list of compatible head units.
Old 7/5/07, 07:18 AM
Bullitt Member

it might be a little late but my buddy just installed a sony deck in his truck. it has a usb port, and with his portable drive (tiny 2gig) all you see is a little protrusion. he bought it from crutchfield for around 150. it has plenty of preamp outputs and the highest (i believe) watts/rms it sounds really good and he loves it.
Old 7/5/07, 08:10 AM

Yeah, I think flash memory is going to take over. Pretty soon having a CD in your car is going to be like having a under dash 8 track tape player!

Anything that can get rid of moving parts should make your stereo more reliable. My Shaker 500 locks up on me if it's too hot or cold. It gets going again, but it kind of a pain in the rear.

Does anybody know what the watts/RMS for the stock Shaker 500 is?

Originally Posted by firestang
it might be a little late but my buddy just installed a sony deck in his truck. it has a usb port, and with his portable drive (tiny 2gig) all you see is a little protrusion. he bought it from crutchfield for around 150. it has plenty of preamp outputs and the highest (i believe) watts/rms it sounds really good and he loves it.
Old 7/7/07, 09:13 PM
GTR Member

can someone photochop this player w/ a satin interior upgrade..I'm itchin to get this but wonder how it will look w/all the extra space left over
Old 7/11/07, 03:35 PM

Maybe use a center speaker for that unused space. Here's an Alpine one.....

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-Ox2u8V5...0&I=500SBS05DC

Originally Posted by Boltzman
can someone photochop this player w/ a satin interior upgrade..I'm itchin to get this but wonder how it will look w/all the extra space left over

Quick Reply: Stereo with memory card slot