05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Sound Advice....

Search this Thread

Old 8/31/15, 10:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sound Advice....

I have Just Purchased a 2006 Mustang GT convertible, The first thing I want to do is Change out the Stock Shaker 500, for an aftermarket replacement system. I have already Bought a KENWOOD 2 Din All in one Receiver, But am Really Over Whelmed by the Choices out there, I Simply want a set of speakers That are Rugged, yet Sound VERY GOOD, for Not a Lot of Money... I am figuring Ill have to replace the Amps as Well. I dont need a Big Name Brand.. Just a Product that will deliver under constant loud conditions, I mostly Listen to 8o's Arena Rock, SO I dont care about a Thmping Bass, BUT.. I do appreciate deep rich Bas Tones. Same with the tweeters, I like Crisp sharp Highs. Any Size, make and Model Choices would be GREAT ! Thank you....
Old 9/1/15, 08:07 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I've got a pretty similar setup I think.

I'm running a Pioneer 50Wx4 head unit, Inifinity Reference 6940CS (component speakers) in the front, which were around $160 I think for the pair. Great speakers, definitely sound a whole lot better than any 3-way coaxials I've used before. It's really not a bad price for what you get and I'm told they respond well to being amp'd (if you get an amp later down the road).

Considering the level of bass you're looking for, reusing the stock door subs will probably suit your needs just fine. They have for me for the last 6 years. The Pioneer deck I have lets you set the subwoofer level indepent of the EQ, and you can turn it up to the point the mirrors shake and you can feel the air pulsing on your legs.

You're going to hear a night and day difference just by changing the head unit, IMO. But Infinity hasn't done me wrong yet w/ speakers.

If you want to go higher end, you could go w/ Infinity Kappas. My Focus (DD) is my ongoing stereo project right now. I've got 4 of those hooked up to a JL Audio XD400/4 amp and even still leaving those hooked up to the stock stereo (albeit with a basic sound processor), they sound amazing. I'm trying to justify upgrading to a Alpine touch screen unit, they use a 24-bit Burr-Brown DAC (digital-analog converter), the same kind used in home theater systems. $700 is a lot to swallow (that doesn't even count the interface adapter modules to make it work). A lot of money to dump into a Focus, but it's a quiet enough ride to make it worth spending the cash.