05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Side Recliner Tilt Replacement

Search this Thread

Old 3/16/13, 04:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Side Recliner Tilt Replacement

I have found a few discussions on the recliner on the back of the seat, but I want to replace the side seat recliner (billet replacement instead of just slapping on a recliner cover).. I can see that the side recliner has some kind of spring type piece that I am guessin holds the recliner on... Anyone have any information on how to replace this piece?

Im talking about the seat recliner that all cars traditionally have... On the side near the door. Looks like it could just pull out if I can get the pin out, but I dont want to just wing it and break something.

Thanks
Old 3/18/13, 05:17 PM
GT Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The black plastic handle on the side of the seat has a horseshoe clip that holds it on shaft. Push the seat bun inward over the big end of the handle and look down between the plastic shield and the seat, and you will see the groove it sits down inside.

I had to replace my side shield, so that handle had to come off. I used a flat tip screwdriver to push on one side of the horseshoe clip, and it slid off and fell down onto the carpet. Getting it off was easy. When putting it back on, I ended up cussing it a few times before I figured out that I just needed to fit the clip in the groove, and shove the handle back on. A huge 'doh' moment!
Old 3/18/13, 08:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks

Tried it earlier today... Pried it a little, and then grabbed some pliers and ripped it out... Pushed the new ones on. Worked perfectly, although the horseshoe clip was pretty wrecked and Im not going to put new ones on... Haha.