05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shoulder Harness Hooks?

Search this Thread

Old 9/13/20, 09:41 PM
Mach 1 Member

Received 101 Likes on 74 Posts
Shoulder Harness Hooks?

One of the most annoying things about our Mustang is those shoulder harnesses that you just about have to turn sideways to grab to put on.

Someplace, some time ago, I saw some hooks that were slotted to hold the belt up towards the front of the seat back, within easy grab range. They fastened to the headrest posts.

I can not find them now.

Any help out there?
Old 9/13/20, 11:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
Found it. I think...

DR3Z63611B09AA - Left side
DR3Z63611B08AB - Right side

Note that these are EXAMPLES, not a sponsor or recommendation, but hey... it shows that they're real, they're 'available', and not exactly cheap. Not exactly expensive, per se... but for an experiment... You may also find them on ebay, and you may also find them in a salvage yard in a 2008-2014 coupe. They should fit in any S197, but there's a chance it won't work for your restraint system (airbags/tensioners) and cause a light or worse. Can't be sure, the '07.75s and up were somewhat different than the '05-07s in little ways here and there. I'll provide the shop manual pages for the right side belts so you can see any differences, which don't look like any real ones to me... maybe some electrical connections/wiring that are slightly different.

2005 manual, right side, example:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=484&f=Safety%...etensioner.pdf

2011 manual, right side, example:
http://iihs.net/fsm/?d=1103&f=Safety...sioner.pdf&p=2

The connectors look similar enough, but... and the lower one is relocated... so...

In doing research on this, it appears they were installed in some '08-14 Mustangs. Maybe some later '07s, like the ones with the new 4.6L heads/plugs/coilpacks might have had them if optioned. It may be that it was in GT500s, Saleens and such because fancier=get these. Y'know how fancier models get ALL THE THINGS...

There's a few posts 'round these forums, here's one for ya:
https://themustangsource.com/forums/...2/#post5941510

So... yeah, there ya go. Much like any google search, the right words are the problem here. 'Presenter'. Ugh. Appropriate, but c'mon, Ford.

Otherwise... there's plenty of seat belt hooks out there that you can retrofit to the headrest posts that'd do the trick, much like a SN95's convertible's or such (although that was mounted on the seat back itself), with the notch in the top to let the belt out to lean the seat forward, then hook it back, trapping the back seat occupant properly. Er, I mean, letting you use the seat belt as normal. You could retrofit a lot of them, but I don't know the entire engineering involved. Taking the seat back apart might provide funtimes for mounting a SN95 hook if one wanted. Maybe a welder or some nifty finagling of worm clamps and a plate with screw holes... Pretend it's a Bob Ross painting class and let your imagination run wild on how to do it.

Hope that helps! And let us know what happens!

/Kinda interested m'self, but...

Last edited by houtex; 9/13/20 at 11:39 PM.
Old 9/14/20, 08:51 PM
Mach 1 Member

You said it one time and highlighted it, the magic word …. "Presenter" !

That word added to seat belt was/is the key. I had tried "hook", "guide", "loop" too but "presenter" never occurred to me. I see extension loops that simply wrap around the belt too and provide a soft "handle" of sorts one can grab easily and pull the belt forward past the shoulder. Tomorrow I'll go out and pull the cover and sit and think on what will work best for us. Those OEM adjustable presenters that are inn the car don't seem to work so well, maybe I need to look closer at them too. Yes, I'll post results.

Thank You Sir!

Last edited by tbear853; 9/14/20 at 08:57 PM.
Old 9/15/20, 10:10 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
I can't wait! I am actively interested in this one, if you're gonna guinea pig your '05-09 with 'em. I can definitely use them if they're worth it.

Glad to be of help!
The following users liked this post:
tbear853 (9/16/20)
Old 9/16/20, 09:04 PM
Mach 1 Member

OK, not "there" yet, but getting closer. I am or was looking at something like this:

I thought about aluminum, easy to cut on my band saw, smooth edges, polish them to look like chrome. One would remove the head rests to install, use rubber grommets at two holes, include a slot to allow shoulder harness to be inserted into loop. I also have some old pieces of drop in pick up bed liners that were flat and smooth and black, it's a thick plastic, near 1/4" thick, easy to cut on the same band saw, edges are easy to smooth too and while stiff enough, they bend easy in use.

Then I run up on a thread on another sight where a fellow used late 2000s Chevy Cobalt guides and simply enlarged the holes the head rest post go through. See below.

Nice interior, it's a '15 I think, but same idea. Then I got to looking on Ebay, lots of "loops" with slots, they could be adapted to mount on a flat piece. I still have some "looking" to do, measuring, etc …. will post results when I work it out.

I've got some nice easy to work aluminum, but I like the black too? I also think the plastic ones will wear belts less adversely, if at all. I know how to get the head rest out, I did that a couple years ago to adjust them back a little bit.

More Later …….

Last edited by tbear853; 9/16/20 at 10:08 PM.