2005-2009 Mustang Information on The S197 {Gen1}

2006 Mustang Manual Passenger Seat Help

Search this Thread

Old 4/22/17, 09:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mustang Manual Passenger Seat Help

My son bought a 2006 Ford Mustang 4.0L V6 coupe and the front seats were in bad shape. We found two seats from a salvage yard out of state and had them shipped. The salvage seats were from a 2007, but the yard said they were the same. The driver's seat is power, with lumbar support etc. That seat swapped out with no issues, I just plugged it and bolted it down. The passenger seat however, has a completely different plug style than the original seat. The original has a gray square approx. 2" x 2" plug, and the salvage seat has a black rectangle plug that is probably 1.5" x 3". It is so strange because it is a manual seat so the wiring must be for the airbag sensor and the seat belt warring. You would think the power seat would have the bigger plug. Anyway the yard suggested somehow swapping out the harness from the original seat with the one on the salvage seat. I am an idiot and have no idea how to do this. Has anyone ever done it or have any pointers, or know if this is even possible or will work? I am not a car guy at all, so I am scared/nervous to attempt this on my own, so i was hoping for some guidance/advice from someone with some knowledge/experience.
Old 4/22/17, 10:41 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I'm guessing you're right about the plug being for the airbag sensor and seat belt. I've seen small electrical changes like this plug change from year to year. My guess is the plug itself is different, but the wiring is the same. This was the case for my bike. I swapped out the instrument cluster ('82) with one from the next year ('83). I just had to change the plug itself

Just to be sure though -- How many pins/wires are there in the old and the new plug? What colors are the wires?
Any pictures?

If the wiring & # of pins is the same, you can just use a toothpick to release the pins+wires out of the connectors and then insert the 2007 pins into the '06 plug (you've got to make sure they're in the right order)

I can look up the '06 and '07 wiring in the wiring diagram, but it would help to know what color wires to look for.

Last edited by Cavero; 4/22/17 at 10:45 AM. Reason: added more info
Old 4/22/17, 06:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thank you for responding. My neighbor helped me figure it out. I was able to unplug the wiring harness from 4 models under the salvage seat and then pull the whole harness out. Then I was able to do the same for our original seat, and all of the module plugs thankfully were the same. So once we plugged the ends of my harness into the modules on the new salvage seat we were golden. Reinstalled and it worked perfectly. i didn't realize I could unplug the harness in all these spots and swap them out. I was being stupid I guess. Thanks again for responding.
Old 4/24/17, 08:06 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 113 Likes on 83 Posts
I seem to remember a power passenger seat was an option in 2007. But it wasn't in 2006. That might account for the difference.
Old 4/24/17, 06:46 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 114 Likes on 88 Posts
I could swear power seats were an option on both sides in '06, but I think I'm going senile. Can't find any evidence of that

Brent, glad to hear you got it solved easy

Last edited by Cavero; 4/24/17 at 06:57 PM. Reason: not so sure about passenger side having power options anymore
Old 4/25/17, 06:32 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 773 Likes on 565 Posts
How much did you pay for the seats?