05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 500 factory wiring/speaker phase

Search this Thread

Old 4/1/07, 11:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker 500 factory wiring/speaker phase

Hey guys, great forum. I have found a lot of very useful info here, but I need some help.

I just finished replacing front and rear deck speakers using Metra 72-5600 speaker adapters (from Best Buy) to a comletely stock setup. Just out of curiousity I checked the polarity of the old speakers and found that the adapters set my new speakers out of phase.

I called Metra and they said that was common with Ford, that they had a tendency to wire their system in reverse polarity. My problem is if I correct the issue by reversing the leads of the adapter plugs, what about the factory front amp/door subs? How do I check to see if they are in or out of phase. They may very well be wired backwards from the factory also.

Thanks ahead of time for you assistance (I'm getting tired of yanking the door panels).

Edit: I really think it's the harness adapters. It has the black on the clip side and white on the other. If anyone has installed speakers using the Metra 72-5600 (sold at Circuit City and Best Buy) beware. I don't know about the Scosche adapters. All the positives on my car's stock wiring are on the clip side (LR grey/light blue, RR orange/red, LF orange/light green, RF white/light green).
Old 4/8/07, 06:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad I read your post, I just installed a pioneer DEH4900IB head unit and Boston acoustic S85 speakers. I checked the polarity and the factor stuff is backwards. So I just wired the pos. to neg. on the oem harness,polarity is correct now .......sorry can't help you with amp problem... I used them speaker wiring adapters that plug in to oem speaker harness,didn't want to swith the end terminals so I switched at the back of head unit (solid color to solid color with stripe)