05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Shaker 500 aftermarket head unit and sub/amp install

Search this Thread

Old 5/6/16, 12:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shaker 500 aftermarket head unit and sub/amp install

okay so i bought this car and it has 2 kickers in the doors where the shaker 500 subwoofers were, i was wondering how i can hook up that signal (weather i have to use an adapter for rca or not) to the signal from my amp and subwoofers im going to install in the trunk so i can have the two 8 and my two 12s thumpin.
Old 5/6/16, 08:59 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
No need to do that. That's a whole lot of extra wire you don't need to do.

For the subs in the back, just tap both the rear package shelf speakers, and then use that for the signals.

If you want, you can get a crossover to cancel out the mids and highs and get just the bass, or your amp should be able to do that itself as well.

If you want a reference, however, the Kicker SMUS05 describes tapping the *front* 6x8 speakers, left and right, in the harness, and tells you what colors the wires are.

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Ima...6SMUS05_DL.PDF

But me, I'd just do the rear ones, as they're just the same as the front ones, and easier to get to and deal with. Only thing you'd need after that is to run sufficient fused power wire to the back, and a key/radio on signal for a relay, and you'd be done with the wiring to the back, pretty much.

Hope that helps! And welcome aboard!

Last edited by houtex; 5/6/16 at 09:07 PM.
Old 5/7/16, 12:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by houtex
No need to do that. That's a whole lot of extra wire you don't need to do.

For the subs in the back, just tap both the rear package shelf speakers, and then use that for the signals.

If you want, you can get a crossover to cancel out the mids and highs and get just the bass, or your amp should be able to do that itself as well.

If you want a reference, however, the Kicker SMUS05 describes tapping the *front* 6x8 speakers, left and right, in the harness, and tells you what colors the wires are.

http://pdf.crutchfieldonline.com/Ima...6SMUS05_DL.PDF

But me, I'd just do the rear ones, as they're just the same as the front ones, and easier to get to and deal with. Only thing you'd need after that is to run sufficient fused power wire to the back, and a key/radio on signal for a relay, and you'd be done with the wiring to the back, pretty much.

Hope that helps! And welcome aboard!
well i wanted to install an aftermarket headunit for better sound control, if i bought one of those converter things to convert the shakers subwoofers into an rca could i buy an rca splitter and connect both rca to the rca output on the head unit? of if i buy a head unit with 2 rca outputs will they both work for subwoofers?
Old 5/7/16, 09:14 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
For the head unit with two rcas, that's fine. Run a long, shielded RCA cable from the radio to the rear and go, done deal.

You can split the RCA from the head unit *before* the converter (I'm sure that's what you mean, of course. ), but the downside *might* be that the two things will half the signal between them. This is what splitters do. Coax cable and RCA cable isn't dissimilar. Coax cable splitters will take the 'dB' of the signal and half it. So a 7dB signal becomes 3.5dB on the outputs.

Not sayin' this is a problem, as the amp should be able to compensate for this, I'd recon. Just turn the volume up more.