Notices
2010-2014 Mustang Information on The S197 {GenII}
Sponsored By:
Sponsored By:

Installing Pypes O/R X-Pipe - Stripped Cat bolt! NEED HELP PLEASE!

Old 4/25/16, 08:33 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Installing Pypes O/R X-Pipe - Stripped Cat bolt! NEED HELP PLEASE!

2014 Mustang GT / Manual

I hope someone can help me. So recently I installed a Steeda CAI with 93 octane performance Tune (using x4 Bama tuner), and love it! My car currently has the Corsa Sport Quad-Tip exhaust system, and I decided I wanted to install an X-Pipe with cat deletes. I went with the Pypes offraod x-pipe since it received really good reviews on Americanmuscle.com. Everything up to this point I've done myself, so I figured I could tackle installing an x-pipe and cat deletes. Unfortunately, it didn't take long for me to screw up:-(

Here's my issue. There are 2 15mm bolts holding the passenger cat to the exhaust manifold. One of those bolts has to be removed from inside the engine bay, and not from under the car. In order to do this, the instructions say to use a 2.5 foot socket extension. So I went out to autozone, bought an extension, and went at it. I used PB blaster, and the **** bolt would not budge. FINALLY, the socket wrench popped as if the bolt had come loose, but it turned out I STRIPPED the bolt!!

My question is, what can I do now? I tried using a 14mm socket, and that did not work. The bolt is now toast, and there is absolutely no way to get to it from under the car.

Am I stuck having to take this to a local exhaust shop?

Would a local exhaust shop be able to get the stripped bolt out?

Will a local exhaust shop even install offroad cats (don't know if this is a legal issue in Michigan?)

Is there any other way I can get this bolt loose when its buried 2ft within the engine bay?

Also note, I'm using standard jack stands so I do not have much clearance from under the car.

Thanks in advance for any tips, or advice you give me!
Old 4/25/16, 08:40 PM
Cobra R Member

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
If you have access to a welder you can weld something to the bolt that you can grab onto with a socket or wrench.

An exhaust shop likely won't remove cats in Michigan (or any state). Perhaps if you know the owners and do it under the table...
The following users liked this post:
ThatStangGuy (4/26/16)
Old 4/26/16, 05:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
That 15mm nut against the firewall is a pitty. I forget what they are called but sears and other places makes special sockets for stripped nuts.
Bad thing is the bolts are pressed in from the backside and if they were a true bolts all you would have to do is cut the head off and be done.
Old 4/26/16, 05:53 AM
Mach 1 Member

This is what I'm taking about and I hope you're using an impact.

Installing Pypes O/R X-Pipe - Stripped Cat bolt!  NEED HELP PLEASE!-screenshot_2016_04_26_07_51_05_95dfd07b4b027dd718c0136d2dccb96408b98cd8.png
The following users liked this post:
ThatStangGuy (4/26/16)
Old 4/26/16, 06:23 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 28 Likes on 21 Posts
It's a pain to get to. You're likely not going to get help from a shop unless you know a guy and pay him cash lol. Either leave it in and out your factory midpipe back in or go at it with a bolt-out kit but the location will make it very difficult.

Me personally, I wouldn't like the Corsa with an off-road pipe so I'd put the stock unit back in.
Old 4/26/16, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by tom281
It's a pain to get to. You're likely not going to get help from a shop unless you know a guy and pay him cash lol. Either leave it in and out your factory midpipe back in or go at it with a bolt-out kit but the location will make it very difficult.

Me personally, I wouldn't like the Corsa with an off-road pipe so I'd put the stock unit back in.
I could try the bolt out kit. Could I do this using the 24" extension? Unforunately I just moved, and don't have an air compressor in my garage yet, so I was trying to do this without impacts. I'm sure that is my biggest problem.

I do know someone who owns a shop, and will contact them to see if they are willing to help me out.

I saw a video with someone who has the same setup, Corsa Sport Quad tip with pypes o/r x, and I thought his ride sounded good. I already had Bama write the tune to delete the 02 sensors, so I'll probably still install the cat deletes.
Old 4/26/16, 07:30 AM

Originally Posted by Blown CS
This is what I'm taking about and I hope you're using an impact.

Attachment 178881
Thanks, I just bought a house, and dont have an air compressor yet, so I was trying to use hand tools. Do you think it will work if I use the extender with the bolt extractor at the end, and a wrench/breaker bar? You would think the **** nut would eventually give in, and set itself free! haha...

The only plus side is that I started with this bolt/nut. So I didn't have to reassemble everything once I determined that I stripped it. I'm assuming the other three won't be as much of pain since you can kind of get to them from under the car.
Old 4/26/16, 08:16 AM
Cobra R Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Got a cutoff wheel or dremel? Cut the biatch off. Then just go buy a new bolt. There is nothing special about the bolt so i would just go to a home depot and find something close to the size.

also where abouts in MI?
Old 4/26/16, 09:32 AM

Originally Posted by rmurer
Got a cutoff wheel or dremel? Cut the biatch off. Then just go buy a new bolt. There is nothing special about the bolt so i would just go to a home depot and find something close to the size.

also where abouts in MI?
Thanks, luckily the cat delete pipes come with new bolts, so if I can get a dremel in there to cut it off I will, but it's a tough angle. I don't think I'll be putting the old cats back on ever, unless I end up hating the sound with the O/R pipes. If I have to damage the old cats, than so be it, haha. I'm in the Brighton area, by 96 and 23. Are you in Michigan?
Old 4/26/16, 09:59 AM
Cobra R Member

AA muffler in downtown Brighton might be able to help. Might not remove the cats but can probably still remove the stripped bolt without issue.
Old 4/26/16, 10:22 AM
Mach 1 Member

I'm trying to remember how much room there is under the car by that bolt, but maybe you could drill it out.
Old 4/26/16, 10:23 AM
Cobra R Member

Originally Posted by ThatStangGuy
Thanks, luckily the cat delete pipes come with new bolts, so if I can get a dremel in there to cut it off I will, but it's a tough angle. I don't think I'll be putting the old cats back on ever, unless I end up hating the sound with the O/R pipes. If I have to damage the old cats, than so be it, haha. I'm in the Brighton area, by 96 and 23. Are you in Michigan?
Yup walled lake.
Old 4/26/16, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by rmurer
Yup walled lake.
No kidding? I work in Walled Lake! ...small world...do you know any places around here that would do the install?
Old 4/26/16, 11:53 AM
Cobra R Member

No kidding? I work in Walled Lake! ...small world...do you know any places around here that would do the install?
Try Walsh motorsports in wixom. I dunno if they'll do it but its a good place to start.

http://www.walshmotorsports.net/
Old 4/26/16, 12:52 PM
GT Member

The trick with that nut is to use the 6 side socket and use a swivel. You will have to put painters tape or something similar to keep the swivel from moving until you get it situated on the nut.

With the swivel, you can get the socket completely on the head.

You may still be able to do it this way with the bolt removing socket. Either way I'd spray it with pb blaster or liquid wrench and let it soak no matter what you do.
Old 4/26/16, 03:33 PM

**UPDATE** NUT FINALLY REMOVED

Hey all, thanks to everyone for the tips. Today I went back to autozone and picked up a set of "Power Grab" sockets. I ended up using the 14mm socket and with multiple tries, finally got the nut to grip, and managed to budge the nut loose! I took a picture of the set I bought, and also a pic of the nut from hell. Hopefully this will help anyone else who runs into this issue down the road.

Installing Pypes O/R X-Pipe - Stripped Cat bolt!  NEED HELP PLEASE!-1_6bacf041291a10a394403a3f8d814077055cb69d.jpg

Highly recommend this set for anyone who runs into an issue with stripped exhaust bolts or nuts.

Installing Pypes O/R X-Pipe - Stripped Cat bolt!  NEED HELP PLEASE!-2_25a58aef15ea5cea34daff8453e9047aa20a5fae.jpg

This is the nut that gave me so much trouble! I won! haha

I'm not done yet.I have a couple more questions. I got back under the car, and the other bolts are really tough to remove with a standard socket wrench. I think I am going to have to give in a buy some air tools. The other nut on the passenger side cat has NO clearance for any kind of socket wrench. What air tool should I used to remove that nut? I would need something thin like a standard hand wrench....but one I can hook up to an air compressor.

On top of that, the air compressor is in my friends garage. Will it be safe to drive my car to his house with only 1 nut holding the passenger side cat on? Or will I mess up the car, and start throwing codes?

Thanks again to everyone on here, you guys have been a lot of help so far!
Old 4/26/16, 05:35 PM
Mach 1 Member

Hey all, thanks to everyone for the tips. Today I went back to autozone and picked up a set of "Power Grab" sockets. I ended up using the 14mm socket and with multiple tries, finally got the nut to grip, and managed to budge the nut loose! I took a picture of the set I bought, and also a pic of the nut from hell. Hopefully this will help anyone else who runs into this issue down the road.

Attachment 178914

Highly recommend this set for anyone who runs into an issue with stripped exhaust bolts or nuts.

Attachment 178915

This is the nut that gave me so much trouble! I won! haha

I'm not done yet.I have a couple more questions. I got back under the car, and the other bolts are really tough to remove with a standard socket wrench. I think I am going to have to give in a buy some air tools. The other nut on the passenger side cat has NO clearance for any kind of socket wrench. What air tool should I used to remove that nut? I would need something thin like a standard hand wrench....but one I can hook up to an air compressor.

On top of that, the air compressor is in my friends garage. Will it be safe to drive my car to his house with only 1 nut holding the passenger side cat on? Or will I mess up the car, and start throwing codes?

Thanks again to everyone on here, you guys have been a lot of help so far!
You can drive the car with the one nut since it's in tight, just take it easy. I used a 15mm socket and a universal to get all of them loose and a second person helps. I stayed under the car to hold the socket on while my son used the impact. It worked out great and holding it kept it from slipping off.
Old 4/27/16, 07:03 AM
Bullitt Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Make sure you're using a 6-point socket too. 12-point sockets are much more likely to strip out on a difficult nut/bolt.
Old 5/3/16, 09:04 PM

Hey all, I have another update! After using a 90lb impact wrench, and still not being able to break the other cat bolts off, I threw in the towel. I ended up taking my car to a local muffler shop and had them break the other nuts free. They had to use a torch to heat them up and then remove them. FINALLY, today I installed the Pypes down pipes and x-pipe with no issues at all. After uploading the new Bama tune, I took the car out for a spin, and man the car sounds and runs great! The only thing I have left to do is to get rid of the over axle pipes. Both of my resonators were dented from the previous owner, and I'm sure that doesn't do anything to help my exhaust flow. I just ordered the Borla over-axles from CJ pony parts. Once I get the borla OA pipes installed, I think I will finally be done with my exhaust project!

I will take a video of the car once I have the Borla over axles installed and throw it one youtube. Just in case someone wants to hear/see the final product.

Thanks again to everyone for your help!

Last edited by ThatStangGuy; 5/3/16 at 09:10 PM.
Old 5/3/16, 09:25 PM
Cobra R Member

Where did you take it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Installing Pypes O/R X-Pipe - Stripped Cat bolt! NEED HELP PLEASE!