05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Retrofit a 2010 Center Console

Search this Thread

Old 4/28/15, 07:33 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts
Question Retrofit a 2010 Center Console

How hard is it to retrofit a 2010 center console into my 2005? I saw that a TMS member did it in the past but I can't find the thread.

What is involved? Any knowledge or insight from anyone?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/11-FORD-MUSTANG-CENTER-CONSOLE-WITH-LIGHTED-CUP-HOLDERS-304163-/231173981260?fits=Year%3A2010%7CModel%3AMustang&hash=item35d30b044c&vxp=mtr

This is inspiring me to toss by beat up old console and get something more cool looking.
Old 4/28/15, 07:55 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
VGMstudios did it. Some cutting involved. There was also someone who swapped the entire interior from a 2011 into his 05.

https://themustangsource.com/forums/...ustang-532097/
Old 4/29/15, 06:57 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
Check with VGM. He has it in his S197. It looks really good in his ride. PM him and he will give you the link that shows everything entailed to do the job. Don't forget, you will need the later e-brake assembly, the shifter assembly, and some cutting and trimming to fit it into 05-09's. I started to go that way, but when I found a 08 console, that cured my idea. The original with ambient lighting is so nice to have. Either way, you'll be happy when done. Good luck with your project.

Last edited by akdoggie; 4/29/15 at 07:00 AM.
Old 4/30/15, 07:47 AM
Tms Mustang Member ------ The Customizer!

Received 126 Likes on 90 Posts
Thanks for the props guys! I really do appreciate that!!

The thread they are speaking of is here:
my-awesome-mustang

As AK mentioned you will need the ebrake and the shifter assembly.
You will need to do some trimming/fitting while trying to get it in there.

Someone else asked me about this via PM. This is what I told them.

I'm going to show exactly what I did when I started out. Hopefully it will help you.
First off I found this thread Console swap
I used the photos/info there to get started. Then I PMed the OP and he told me this.

I used a dremel saw with a plastic cutting blade. Cut it long and start fitting because it's curved so just trim and fit, trim and fit until it satisfied. It takes a long time but it's easier to cut more off than to put it back on. I hope this helps to get you started
Here is a shot of my consoles. Before and after.

You can see clearly just how much I cut off.
Click the image to open in full size.
Dont just look at the middle section. Take a look at both far sides.

Also if you put both the old and new console side by side you can get a pretty good picutre how much to cut.

If you still need help LMK. But what I did was exactly that, trim & fit, over and over until it fit the way I like it.

Good luck!

Last edited by VGMStudios; 4/30/15 at 07:50 AM.
Old 5/2/15, 12:13 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Ohhhhh... it looks great, and I was interested up until the point where you said I had to replace the e-brake and the shifter.

I have a MGW shifter, I don't want to change that out. Do you mean the entire shifter or just the handle?

How much does an e-brake assembly cost?

I can get the 2010 console on ebay for about a buck fifty, but the other items may increase the cost to $500 or so?
Old 5/2/15, 11:49 PM

Not necessarily. You can get an ebrake from a junk yard or eBay.
Shouldn't coat that much.

Checked out that shifter of yours. Looks real cool. Which one did you get? According to tier website the shifters are for cars from 2005 to 2010. So you should be okay.
Old 5/8/15, 12:47 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by mrkabc
Ohhhhh... it looks great, and I was interested up until the point where you said I had to replace the e-brake and the shifter.

I have a MGW shifter, I don't want to change that out. Do you mean the entire shifter or just the handle?

How much does an e-brake assembly cost?

I can get the 2010 console on ebay for about a buck fifty, but the other items may increase the cost to $500 or so?
The shifter you have is made different than what is used in the 2010 and up consoles. The newer console has the shifter sit back about an inch, which doesn't seem like much until you try it. I was going to go with the later shifter but couldn't because of the fitment. I decided to stay with an 08 console with ambient lighting instead and will install a TCI ratchet shifter when I get up the energy to do the change.

Good luck.
Old 5/8/15, 08:09 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by akdoggie
The shifter you have is made different than what is used in the 2010 and up consoles. The newer console has the shifter sit back about an inch, which doesn't seem like much until you try it. I was going to go with the later shifter but couldn't because of the fitment. I decided to stay with an 08 console with ambient lighting instead and will install a TCI ratchet shifter when I get up the energy to do the change.

Good luck.
AK, I think I will do what you did and just track down the 08 console with the lighting. Don't feel like blowing THAT much $$ on a mod with very small benefit. Thanks for your help! :-)
Old 5/9/15, 01:11 PM

You're welcome.
Old 5/9/15, 02:51 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
You're welcome.
LOL... I am envious of your console, wish I could afford to do it! Unfortunately, the clutch has to come first... should have done THAT before I did the Raxiom, but that's how the ball bounces!

Wait... will it work with my MGW shifter or not? The deal breaker for me was replacing the shifter. Ebrake handle + console replacement I can handle. I don't want to buy another shifter though.

I still might do this after the clutch if I do *not* have to buy another shifter. Thoughts?

Last edited by mrkabc; 5/9/15 at 03:16 PM.
Old 5/10/15, 12:56 AM

As AK and I have said, since you have an aftermarket shifter this should fit, because your shifter is for cars 05 to 10 is it not?
If that is the case all you'll need to change is the ebrake.
I asked which one you bought but I guess you missed that.

make sense?
Old 5/11/15, 03:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

VGM the shifter only fits 05-09. The 10 up is like your set up now. There is a write up on MM that a guy did the 10 into an earlier S197 and honestly, I think it looked very sloppy. The front has a gap and the rear has to be cut to use the 10 up shifter. Did you compare the two shifters side by side before you installed the new one?

On a lighter note, John. Canadian Customs sent me a note, asking to prove the value of some electronics stuff I sent some gentleman in the Toronto area. You should have it as soon as the paperwork gets to some guy in Ottawa. Unbelievable. They didn't like the $3.00 value I put on it. They wanted to say it was valued at much more. I sent them the copy of the damaged radio from USPS, and that should be good enough, according to the letter. You should have it soon. I thought I did it right, but they don't think so. lol.
Old 5/11/15, 06:31 PM

Oh well then I don't know what I am blabbing about. Lol.
didn't know that the shifter he has was different enough cause according to the main website the shifter was good for 05 to 12 cars. I must have missed something.

Thanks Bill for the info. It's quite unbelievable that you need to prove the price but $3? Lol you're to funny.
I shall let you know as soon as it arrives. Bloody customs.
Old 5/15/15, 12:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by VGMStudios
As AK and I have said, since you have an aftermarket shifter this should fit, because your shifter is for cars 05 to 10 is it not?
If that is the case all you'll need to change is the ebrake.
I asked which one you bought but I guess you missed that.

make sense?

Hi VGM:

I didn't know there were different MGW shifters, LOL... When I bought mine MGW had just started and the only choices were 05-07. The website:

https://www.mgwshifters.com/shifters/mustangs/77

I *think* mine looks like this, but to be honest I installed it a while ago and no longer remember what it looks like.

The MGW site does say 2010 though, and those consoles were OEM in 2010, so it should work?
Old 5/16/15, 05:27 PM

That is exactly what I was going by.
So I'm thinking it SHOULD work but according to AK it might not.
I would trust him more than myself haha.

anyway to get the product number or something and check with the manufacturer?
Old 12/24/15, 07:48 AM
Mach 1 Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts
Well I took the plunge and got off of ebay a complete centre console and ebrake assembly from a 2011.

Another winter project for me!
Old 12/25/15, 05:01 AM
Legacy TMS Member

Originally Posted by SeanD
Well I took the plunge and got off of ebay a complete centre console and ebrake assembly from a 2011.

Another winter project for me!
Very kewl. I hope it turns out for you. Use VGM on any questions you might have about trimming it to fit and such.

Going back thru this thread, when I was talking to MR and VGM, I was saying that the shifter only fits thru 2009. I am correct for the automatic, which I was talking about. When rereading MR's response saying he had a MGW and wanted to keep it, I thought he was describing an automatic shifter. Similar to the TGI I had. He was not I guess, when I went to the site he listed. My bad. I didn't see anywhere where he was describing a 5 spd manual, so the pictures we listed were of automatics so I assumed he was talking that way also. See what happens when you ASSUME. lol.
Old 12/25/15, 07:32 AM
Mach 1 Member

Well I have a manual with a MGW, so I will see what happens.

I got a really good deal on eBay, so hopefully it works out. I just have to get a shifter boot as that is the only piece I am missing. CJ just had them on sale for like $30, so I just have to wait for another sale.

If it all works out, then I am going to be looking at getting some redlinegoods leather for the shifter, ebrake and console cover. $$$$!
Old 12/26/15, 03:22 AM
Legacy TMS Member

I think, since you don't have a boot yet, that is a good thing. If the shifter is in a different place, than the original console, you may need to have a boot made from Redline to fit right. The shifter location on the console could be off, being 2010 to 2005-9's model consoles. Let us know will you. I know the auto's are different and there are write ups on what to do to the old consoles to use the newer shifters, but they all look like crap. automatics only. I've never seen anyone do the 2010 into a std transmission. You are the guinea pig in this case. lol. Good luck. Happy holidays.
Old 12/26/15, 06:15 AM
Mach 1 Member

It has been done by at least one other person. I have pictures of their project and it looks great. I need to get the factory shift boot anyways, so that I have the plastic mounting piece that attaches it to the console. Without the factory boot, there is no way to attach them, just like on the 05-09 models.