05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Replacing Shaker 500

Search this Thread

Old 10/2/18, 05:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Replacing Shaker 500

What wiring harnesses do I need to replace my Shaker 500 with an aftermarket stereo? I have read about a voltage regulator but am unsure where to wire it in at
Old 10/2/18, 07:22 PM
Legacy TMS Member

Received 667 Likes on 541 Posts
This right here is probably the best resource on this problem.

The Crutchfield article pretty much lays out exactly what gotchas are involved in a Shaker swap out. The gotchas in short are:

Wiring up the radio to the factory harness to use the current four main speakers, power, etc.

Accepting it's not going to likely look factory due to the adapters and such, but maybe you'll get a really nice one...

Wiring up the Shaker 500 amps to work with the radio, which is the adapter you're sort of remembering. OR you can replace the Shaker 500 amps and subs, but that's a whole other ball of yarn.

Not applicable, but the Shaker 1000 amps and speakers are similar issue to the Shaker 500, in that adapters have to be used, or you have to replace.

Now in both Shaker setups, if you choose to replace, you're wiring *everything* yourself, and so in that you'll want to investigate wiring solutions for the amps, speakers, and possibly capacitors and such.

There are many other web pages and even youtubes regarding this thing. Not impossible. Just a little... odd... when Shakers are involved.

You'll also find that the speakers in the doors, should you choose to replace them, are 8" subs, but they're very shallow and very purpose built. And as such, you'll have a limited selection to choose from that will fit the doors without (much) mods, OR you'll have to accept some form of visible modification/adapter/? Might be better to accept the subs as is, and/or resurround or recone as needed.

Finally, there's the 'easier' but more expensive method: Let someone else do it and enjoy the results. But that's no fun, taking apart the car, blowing fuses, running wires and hoping you don't chafe them and...

Anyway. Hope that helps some. Good luck!

And welcome to the forums!
Old 10/2/18, 09:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I also heard that the amp adapter that comes with the wiring harness has 2 blue wires attached, but you only use one. Is this true, and if so, does it matter which one?