05-09 Interior and Audio Mods Enhancing Your Mustang's Interior and Sound System

Replace the factory door subs

Search this Thread

Old 4/27/05, 07:52 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Yes all fosgate speakers. I installed the 5x7 components in the rear also I just didn't get pictures. I am going to replace the head unit & new amps hopefully this weekend. Currently running the stock amps & it sounds much better. I will try & post pictures of the rear speaker install tonight.
Old 4/27/05, 10:15 AM

GregFP05,
Thanks for taking pictures. I have a few questions. What did you use to heat the subwoofer enclosure? Did the plastic still retain its strength? What model number are those subs? What do you mean when you say "We used the woofer to open the chamber"? Nice job on the install - I bet it sounds way better than stock!
Old 4/27/05, 05:13 PM

Dallas,
Used a heat gun there are plenty of different ones on the market. The plastic was fine after it cooled. What we did was to heat up the enclosure then push the woofer down into the hole which pushed the plastic out of the areas for clearance. It does sound tons better. We used the Fosgate P2 8" woofer.
Old 4/27/05, 06:03 PM
Cobra Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Great solution GregFP05! It is amazing just how much better it sounds with better subs, even when they are driven by the factory amps.
Old 4/27/05, 07:19 PM

Thanks GregFP05!
Old 4/27/05, 07:40 PM

No problem. I will post the pictures of the rear speaker install tonight. The sound really improved a ton with all the speakers replaced.
Old 4/27/05, 07:49 PM
Cobra Member

The heat gun idea sounds pretty slick, good thinking. I may have to try that and put some nicer subs in mine too. I already have some nice Pioneer 6x8's front and rear, so some better subs running on the stock amps would improve it that much more.
Old 4/27/05, 09:08 PM

Is that a DeLorean I see in the background?
Old 4/27/05, 09:42 PM

Sure is. The owner dropped it off at my friends stereo shop on saturday. Pretty clean but the sound system needs some work. It was still the stock unit.
Old 1/22/06, 12:32 PM
V6 Member

Dear RRRoamer,

First of all I would like to thank you for this whole write-up. What a phenomenal write-up!

Second, I would like to ask you how good do the subs LOOK? How does it look when everything is finished up? If you can, can you take some more pictures?

This seems very complicated to me, but you claim it isn't hard at all. I am quite scared of cutting into my brand new car, , but I hope it is worth the time and effort.

Thanks in advance!
Old 1/25/06, 11:13 AM
V6 Member

If using the heat gun is simple enough for someone with no experience in that type of thing, I could think about giving it a shot. I have access to a heat gun at work, we use it to put heatshrink around cables and connections we make. Would this work?
Old 1/27/06, 12:10 AM
Bullitt Member

I would say the heat gun is the best way to go. I went that route and I am very happy with the results. Just make sure you are patient with the plastic. That heat gun should work fine. Here are a few pics of my install.

Jon

Speaker comparison:

Un-modded enclosure:

JL Sub with no modifications:

Stock enclosure with wires removed and studs cut off:

Heated and pushed out:

Reverse after heated and sealed using silicone:

Speaker comparison:

Speaker installed:

Speaker & trim installed:
Old 1/27/06, 01:03 PM
V6 Member

Thanks for the pics!
Old 1/29/06, 05:33 PM

Thanks Jon: As they say, "A picture is.....". if I missed this somewhere, please excuse, but do you just abandon one set of inputs? It looks like it from your photo, but I wasn't sure.
Old 1/31/06, 03:59 PM
V6 Member

Will doing anything like this create any rattling in the doors?
Will changing the subs void the warranty in any way?

Old 2/2/06, 09:47 AM
Mach 1 Member

Do you have any pics of the sub installed with out any of the grill parts on it. I want to see how the outer part of the sub lines up with the plastic ring on the stock box. I dont like the stock grill....

Also is the factory part that fits the sub a permanent part of the door panel or can that be removed as well.

I didn't get the 500 system because I was going to make my own enclosures...but now im thinking I should have got it.
Old 2/3/06, 09:21 AM
Cobra Member

I'll try to get some pics of the completed install this afternoon. I went with the JL grills instead of reusing the factory grills (I never really liked how the stock grills looked anyway. Just too course for this car). The edge of the speaker lines up right at the edge of the raised mount. Very nice match.
Old 2/3/06, 09:24 AM
Mach 1 Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(RRRoamer @ February 3, 2006, 10:24 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
I'll try to get some pics of the completed install this afternoon. I went with the JL grills instead of reusing the factory grills (I never really liked how the stock grills looked anyway. Just too course for this car). The edge of the speaker lines up right at the edge of the raised mount. Very nice match.
[/b][/quote]

Yeah get some pics [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] is the speaker box part of the door trim or is it a seperate thing?
Old 2/3/06, 09:27 AM
Cobra Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(razorbackhogs @ January 31, 2006, 5:02 PM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Will doing anything like this create any rattling in the doors?
Will changing the subs void the warranty in any way?

[img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/dunno.gif[/img]
[/b][/quote]

I don't have any rattles. You shouldn't have anything loose to rattle around in the door or it will rattle with or without the stereo on! There is a lot of vibration in a car door going down the highway.

About the only think it could possible void would be the amp. But the 8W3V2 actually has a slightly higher impedence, so it won't hurt the amp at all. You will just get a bit less power out of it. Thankfully, the JL 8W3V2 appears to be slightly more efficent than stock, so it ends up matching very well. Oh, if you start heating up your door panels or cutting holes and fiberglassing, then I guess they COULD figure out a way to void the warranty on the door panel if something else happens to it. But that is pretty remote.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(NOLAGT @ February 3, 2006, 10:27 AM) Quoted post</div><div class='quotemain'>
Yeah get some pics [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img] is the speaker box part of the door trim or is it a seperate thing?
[/b][/quote]

The speaker enclosure is built into the door panel itself. I do not think you have the enclosure if you did not get either the S500 or S1000. That was the only reason I got the S500 in the first place was to make sure I had the enclosures for the door subs! Everything else, I can do better (given time and money of course!)
Old 2/3/06, 09:30 AM
Mach 1 Member

Yeah I got it with out the 500 thinking I could pick up the box part if other ideas didnt work out. But now im wondering about it lol. I can always shell out the $ to get new door panels...maybe with the red incerts [img]style_emoticons/<#EMO_DIR#>/icon_mrgreen.gif[/img]

Take some pics of the grill you have to. I hated the stock one...thats why I didnt get it as well...didnt know how it was exactly.

Quick Reply: Replace the factory door subs